PDA

View Full Version : EXTRA COURSE bench stones.

Dave Barker
21-06-05, 10:08 AM
After a ot of faffing about i got MBm to reprofile a knife tha i could ot get sharp.

I know he used a very course stone to remove the extremely poor and damaged edge, and the blade is now better than ever.

I have the lansky system which would be great for finishing up the edge, but from one time to the other i need to remove a lot of material 8 fishing knives do get VERY abused you know) and i find that the lansky lacks.

I have been to ods and to hennie and can't find a very course stone, have dmt etc stopped makking these?

anyone point me in the right direction?

MotorbikeMan
21-06-05, 01:04 PM
After a ot of faffing about i got MBm to reprofile a knife tha i could ot get sharp.

I know he used a very course stone to remove the extremely poor and damaged edge, and the blade is now better than ever.

I have the lansky system which would be great for finishing up the edge, but from one time to the other i need to remove a lot of material 8 fishing knives do get VERY abused you know) and i find that the lansky lacks.

I have been to ods and to hennie and can't find a very course stone, have dmt etc stopped makking these?

anyone point me in the right direction?
Hi Dave,

The stone I used to do most of the work on your knife was the coarsest diamond stone that Joe does, and then I used some EDM stones that ZDP got me. I also used the EDM stones on a VG10 blade and they worked really well with the finer ones leaving a very nice finish. If you have a look around, I'm sure I've seen a recent link for EDM stones, just can't think where

Kevin
21-06-05, 01:09 PM
Break with tradition and go and buy a cheap 1 inch belt grindr that has a slack belt..you can use that to sharpen anything and only takes minutes or seconds (the extra time you save you can spend with your family :) ).
It will not put or keep a traditional scandi sabre grind, but it will put a very sharp convex zero edge......

Stew
21-06-05, 04:43 PM
Axminster have a range of the DMT kit:

Bench Stones (http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=21932&recno=7)
Diafold (http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=21931&recno=6)
Pocket and Machinist's Stones (http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=21924&recno=4)
but none of them are the X-Coarse. Personally I think Coarse should be good enough as the diamond is very aggresive. If you do want the X-coarse then Dick Fine Tools (http://www.dick.biz/cgi-bin/dick.storefront/42b83634001377f6274050f336090623/Catalog/1097) carry the Benchstones.

micky d
21-06-05, 08:43 PM
heinnie will usually order items found in the american knife sourse book, i know lansky do a extra course diamond stone that they claim is the most agresive available it 20 odd dollars i have no idea what that means in quids. ive got a lansky system and i would agree its good at maintaining an edge but pretty hopeless and time consuming if you need to regrind/profile a blade. hope this helps

Dave Barker
22-06-05, 09:05 AM
I just managed to find an extra course and a course lastone that is suited to the lansky system.

From what i can see these 2 are really aggressive and with the medium fine and ultra fine ceramic stones in the same system i should be sett for the worse profiling job..

real shame the stones are so short though. Something longer would save time...

Dave Barker
22-06-05, 10:31 AM
Break with tradition and go and buy a cheap 1 inch belt grindr that has a slack belt..you can use that to sharpen anything and only takes minutes or seconds (the extra time you save you can spend with your family :) ).
It will not put or keep a traditional scandi sabre grind, but it will put a very sharp convex zero edge......

A power tool..... NEVER!!

Kevin
22-06-05, 03:04 PM
A power tool..... NEVER!!

So , do you own a car , or do you walk everywhere :)

Basemetal
22-06-05, 07:27 PM
real shame the stones are so short though. Something longer would save time...

You can get another half inch by swapping the thumbscrews for grub screws. You can leave the rods attached (why there are four rods in the kit!)

MushiSushi
22-06-05, 09:19 PM
Or do you use a mobile phone or just shout at the top of your lungs?

Do you use aeroplanes or just flap your arms very fast?

has your boat got a motor or do you get out and push it wearing flippers?

and so on and so forth

:D :P

MushiSushi
22-06-05, 09:21 PM
alternatively. can you get coarse silicone carbide paper and wrap it around a block of wood?

stonehard
22-06-05, 11:11 PM
I saw a treadle sewing machine table converted to a belt grinder once. now that would qualify as a hand tool.

narsil
22-06-05, 11:14 PM
What about a treadle operated grindstone?

I would say that a forge is a powertool as well ;)

Dave Barker
23-06-05, 07:55 AM

actually mate..... i walk :P

seriously though i do own power tools..... i have never tried to grind a blade with a belt and would fear banjaxing it!

I have nothing against power tools.... but personally thik it takes something away from the pleasure of making a knife.

just my opinion....

MushiSushi
25-06-05, 08:49 AM
Don't give in to FEAR! Don't let fear make your decisions for you! Don't let fear rule your life!

I am now going to spank you

Fear is that little darkroom where negatives are developed.
Michael Pritchard

A mind troubled by doubt cannot focus on the course to victory.
Arthur Golden

Fear is a question: What are you afraid of, and why? Just as the seed of health is in illness, because illness contains information, your fears are a treasure house of self-knowledge if you explore them.
Marilyn Ferguson