PDA

View Full Version : Dye leaching out

Hepotec
07-11-05, 08:30 PM
I have a rehandled SAK that I have made a small black leather pouch for. The SAK is in holly, witha danish oil finish. The problem is that the wood keeps getting dirtied by the black dye in the leather. Is there anything I can do to the puch to stop it shedding dye?

I was wondering about warm beeswax inside. WIllt his work? If not, what can I do instead?

Cheers

Hepotec

Tiffers
07-11-05, 08:50 PM
Beeswax should work as it waterproofs the leather in both directions. I know Dave Barker uses some sort of sealant (shellac?? :rolleyes: ) which I am sure he wont mind sharing with us :) I do think though that there is an amount of shrinkage with his method.

I wonder how useful gum tragacanth would be at sealing the inside? I know it makes an excellant edge sealant so it figures it might work inside too.

Tiffers

P.S If you use beeswax, use a hairdryer or similar to keep it warm so its absorbed by the leather. I think this method is mentioned somewhere on BB so it might be worth searching for beeswax.

PS_Bond
07-11-05, 09:12 PM
I wonder how useful gum tragacanth would be at sealing the inside? I know it makes an excellant edge sealant so it figures it might work inside too.

Occasionally I use gum T as a sealant outside too - can't remember if it was Chuck or Sandy advocated that.

bardster
07-11-05, 11:17 PM
Occasionally I use gum T as a sealant outside too - can't remember if it was Chuck or Sandy advocated that.

it does indeed work - i managed to spill some on a sheath before i dyed it - it makes a wonderful resist!

Habaki
08-11-05, 12:14 AM
Hi guys,
One way I found that works for me when dyeing leather black is to apply a coat of some kind of dark brown first. For some reason I have found that the dye I use (Fiebings from Tandy I think.) seems to take better after that. I then seal it with Super Shene (Also from Tandy.) and I cannot remember having a problem with colour transfer after that. Maybe it's just luck?.
Regards,
Simon.

Dave Barker
08-11-05, 12:44 PM
A thin mixture of shellac does wonders or you can use a light smearing of leather fat.'
if you use the shellack method then the sheath will harden and shrink a tad.

Best way i have found is to pack the knife in as tyou did for reading i the sheath, then apply a coule of thi shelack coats and squeeze the knife back in.

It can actually improve the fir too if you have a problem with it being too big.