PDA

View Full Version : Sewing machine problems

imagedude
29-11-05, 07:14 PM
Below is a photo of some stitching I did with an old Singer. The walking foot is leaving deep impressions in the leather, will this improve if I bother to set the machine up correctly?

http://photos.imageevent.com/imagedude/bbladeupload/large/leather%20stitch.jpg

Tiffers
29-11-05, 07:40 PM
It looks like the pressure on the foot needs relieving a bit. This should get a bit better but its something you will experience with some types of foot. You may be able to get a replacement with a smooth underneath but probably only if there is another way of the machine pulling the leather through.

What type of machine is this? If you have a piccie if it I can put an arrow on it to show where the pressure should be adjusted :)

Tiffers

imagedude
29-11-05, 09:12 PM
It looks like the pressure on the foot needs relieving a bit. This should get a bit better but its something you will experience with some types of foot. You may be able to get a replacement with a smooth underneath but probably only if there is another way of the machine pulling the leather through.

What type of machine is this? If you have a piccie if it I can put an arrow on it to show where the pressure should be adjusted :)

Tiffers

It's an old Singer Bootpatcher

Basemetal
29-11-05, 09:13 PM
Quite a nice decorative effect though :cool20:

Tiffers
29-11-05, 09:26 PM
Does it have the arm on the top which goes up and down as well as the swivelling foot and the thread which goes down inside the head of the machine? If it is then I will take a look at the one we have at work and come back to you tomorrow.

Tiffers

imagedude
29-11-05, 11:07 PM
Does it have the arm on the top which goes up and down as well as the swivelling foot and the thread which goes down inside the head of the machine? If it is then I will take a look at the one we have at work and come back to you tomorrow.

Tiffers

That's the one.

Tiffers
30-11-05, 12:15 AM
Brilliant. I shall find out for you :) I also hope to have some good news tomorrow!

Tiffers

imagedude
06-12-05, 12:43 AM
Brilliant. I shall find out for you :) I also hope to have some good news tomorrow!

Tiffers

Any news?:D

Dave Barker
06-12-05, 12:05 PM
Would these marks not be removed as the leather is worked though?

I mean I trust youare sewing dry? when you wet the leaher it will swell and as you smooth it you can likely press out those mark?

can't you??

helmar4578
10-12-05, 05:04 AM
Looking at the picture that you posted, I noticed that the pierced holes for the thread appeared to be drilled. The holes were cylindrical rather than punched either by a leather sewing needle which makes a slit or a round nosed needle that leaves a small flange on the hole. In either case the hole is much larger than needed for the size thread you are using. As for the tooling left either by the foot or the pawl, try reducing the tension on the foot to produce the least amount of tooling and still advance the leather for the next stitch. What little tooling is left can generally be reduced to acceptable levels with the use of the cobblers hammer. ---Sandy---