PDA

View Full Version : Tesco "Thomas by Rosenthal" kitchen knives

Toast
16-03-12, 08:10 PM
http://www.tesco.com/THOMAS-KNIVES/

Chinese-made, very low cost. Just picked up a large santoku, two small & a wooden cutting board. I was expecting them to be beaters, but to be honest, they're as good as any of the middle-of-the-road grade kitchen cutlery I have. Might pop back for a couple of paring knives, as I got handed a wedge of vouchers by a generous checkout worker.

Regarding the two flavours I have: All one piece, no visible seams (but hollow handled, so not rear-heavy). Flat grind, respectable thickness of stock, comfortable handles. Good enough finish - not perfect, fine scratches etc, but then I just paid a penny shy of 5 for a sizeable and useful kitchen knife. Even grinds, came with a workable edge but I'll sharpen them up and report back if I remember.

For what I paid, the edge-holding would have to be pretty abyssmal to warrant any sort of disappointment :)

Reading here - http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=192&t=1115155&mid=0&i=20&nmt=Tesco+Knife+offer%3F&mid=0 - (I'm not a member, just a Google result) it appears you might find a voucher in the Tesco magazine.

Essexman
16-03-12, 08:59 PM
If you buy your fuel at Tescos they give you the vouchers, and a few more when you say that you are collecting them :D

I've enough for a few knives and chopping boards now.

what are the boards like ?

Hatethatgiraffe
16-03-12, 09:00 PM
Makro did em last year!
Decent quality and some of the pros that got em from us still have em going strong ;)

thomas
16-03-12, 11:01 PM
I have them all, and the knife block.
For being on a budget the knives are great. Just as good as some of the better knives i have.

EDIT: All of them were sharp enough out the box.

Toast
17-03-12, 12:23 AM
The board is still wrapped, I'm afraid, but dimensions & weight are encouraging. I'll have a closer look in the morning.

My three santokus have seen the waterstones, and it took a fair bit of work to get the slightly toothy (but very usable) factory edge smooth. Seemed like fairly hard steel to get through, & had a nice ring. I have to say, I think I'll be back for a couple more - you can never have enough paring knives, for a start :)

Speaking of that factory edge, took a bloody great slice out of my girlfriend's forefinger when she decided to dive in & take over the washing up. Normally I wouldn't mind, but it left me with the lot to do... :P

Ben_
17-03-12, 01:08 AM
Stepson bought two of them and they were dull. I thought I'd wipe them through the sharpmaker and the tip was still dull and so I'll have to get the DC4 out. Quite disappointing out of the box and no doubt the standard 20 degree bevels from the Sharpmaker might not be the best for a kitchen knife. So, a little weekend project of getting them sharp will calm the nerves watching the Rugby.

I gave him a new Mora Companion in Stainless to use and he loves it! lol

Toast
17-03-12, 02:11 AM
Now you mention it, the tips did take more work to get "just right". Don't know which bit caught Pip's finger, it was under the suds at the time, but that bit was certainly effective :rolleye13

Toast
17-03-12, 09:23 PM
Right, they're christened, and I'm still impressed :)

The board is a nice solid-feeling rubberwood butcherblock affair. One glue line about halfway down looks a little wide - it doesn't feel any different, glue has filled the gap, so assuming it's a decent glue I'm not concerned. Could probably have been avoided had I been paying more attention whilst stood in the shop though, so worth looking out for. Individual blocks are just under an inch by about 3 inches.