PDA

View Full Version : Inside out sheath

neill116
06-12-05, 10:54 PM
I have just been cutting some leather for my first proper sheath and i have realised that the belt loop is on the wrong side so it will become a leftie.:O

One solution could be to have the soft side on the outside of the sheath but i'm not sure if this will cause any problems with wetforming, dying, etc

Does anybody know if inside out is ok and are there any pitfalls?

Alternatively i suppose i could use a different hanging system or add a belt loop on the other side.

Any suggestions are welcome!!!:)

cheers
Neill

Tiffers
06-12-05, 10:59 PM
The inside of the leather is much more absorbant, its less friction resistant and generally doesnt look as nice.

What style of sheath is it? If its a pouch style sheath then you might just be able to cut off the extra you have allowed to be folded over for the belt loop and then simply stitch on a new one.

Tiffers

neill116
06-12-05, 11:10 PM
What style of sheath is it? If its a pouch style sheath then you might just be able to cut off the extra you have allowed to be folded over for the belt loop and then simply stitch on a new one.

Exactly as you say, it is a pouch style sheath and i think your suggestion is the best way forward, thanks.

I'm just annoyed with myself for not paying attention to my paper design and which way round it was when i cut the leather!!!
Oh well we live and learn!!!

cheers
Neill

Tiffers
06-12-05, 11:19 PM
Dont worry :) I had a similar problem when I was making the bushfire and Orphan annie sheath. One was a right handed sheath and the other was a left handed one. I just had to make sure I was doing it the right way around!

Tiffers

praktis
06-12-05, 11:46 PM
the funny thing is that it is sooo easy to make the sheath a left handed one (iīve done it a few times... ) when itīs supposed to be righthanded.
/Roger

Habaki
07-12-05, 01:00 AM
Hi mate!!!
Makes you feel a right pratt, doesn't it!. One of the first and best I ever made I did the wrong way round and I couldn't believe it!. I find a good way to avoid it is to mark your pattern clearly which side is which, but I am sure if you follow Tiffers' advice you will rescue it no problem. Look forward to seeing some piccies.
Regards,
Simon.:)

ggfh666
07-12-05, 08:43 AM
I was thinking : what would the result be if you turn the flap to the inner side of the sheath instead of the backside? Would it make sheathing/pulling the knife harder?

Bazza
07-12-05, 11:05 AM
Neill,
you won't believe how many people have done that, you're not alone!
Barry

Tiffers
07-12-05, 10:22 PM
I was thinking : what would the result be if you turn the flap to the inner side of the sheath instead of the backside? Would it make sheathing/pulling the knife harder?

It depends on how much of a belt loop you have. If its a long one to enable to sheath to hang low with some movement, it might work. If its a shorter one to make the knife ride higher with a more firm position then there wouldnt be enough of a belt loop to do it with.

Tiffers

neill116
08-12-05, 09:30 AM
Thanks to everyone for the advice and encouragement:)

I'll keep on trying to get it right:rolleyes:

Tiffers
21-01-06, 09:09 PM
Seeing MotW's comments reminded me about this Neill, how did it turn out in the end?

Tiffers

neill116
23-01-06, 07:40 PM
Hi Tiffers,
I ended up cutting off my proposed loop as that would have made it a left hand sheath and i just stitched a hanging loop onto the other side.

Do you by any chance know the answer to my question in this thread?
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15499

cheers
Neill

Tiffers
23-01-06, 07:58 PM
Hehe, it looks like Trond has missed a step on his tutorial. I would suggest that you drop him a pm and ask if he can clarify for you :) I'm afraid I cant help with that one as I dont have a clue!!! :D

Ask him to post it here so we can all say "Ahhhh, of course!!" :D

Tiffers

neill116
23-01-06, 08:24 PM
Thanks Tiffers, I'll PM him.

cheers
Neill