PDA

View Full Version : Felleskap lanyard

Jon
30-11-03, 09:20 PM
I'm gradualy collecting all the bits I will need to do the handle for my Felleskap. So I have the wood and the pins on order, I have rasps and emery paper and clamps and glue. But I still don't know how to deal with the lanyard hole. I assume that it needs to be lined with brass tubing or the like. It's 1cm across, so what is everyone else going to use ?

any suggestions ?

Jon.

keith_beef
30-11-03, 11:16 PM
I'm gradualy collecting all the bits I will need to do the handle for my Felleskap. So I have the wood and the pins on order, I have rasps and emery paper and clamps and glue. But I still don't know how to deal with the lanyard hole. I assume that it needs to be lined with brass tubing or the like. It's 1cm across, so what is everyone else going to use ?

any suggestions ?

Jon.

I had a go at putting a piece of brass tube through an Opinel foding saw... I bodged it, I'm afraid, trying to make it a very tight fit, and trying to splay the ends of the tube to hold it in place...

This time, I'll just use epoxy to hold it. Still make it a tight fit, thought.
I have some brass tube and mild steel rod, so the ID of the tube is the same as the diameter of the rod; the idea is that you can put the rod in the tube, so it hold its shape as you force fit it through the wood. Then take out the tube, and round the edges to prevent the dreaded chafing.

I don't think it's absolutely necessary to line the hole, so long as the edges of the steel hole in the tang are nicely smoothed, so as to not chafe (we don't want any chafing, chafing isn't nice).

Keith.

Jon
01-12-03, 12:22 AM
Have to agree about the chafing :wow:

Jon

Trond
04-12-03, 03:22 PM
so what is chafing?

Martyn
04-12-03, 03:38 PM
The lanyard hole is 1cm in diameter - wow, that's a lot. In the past, I've just drilled a 6mm hole and epoxied in som 6mm steel tubing. Then ground bevels on the internal surface of the tube with a dremel.

Martyn
04-12-03, 03:39 PM
so what is chafing?

...rubbing of the material (lanyard) on sharp edges, untill it frays. ;)

Trond
04-12-03, 03:43 PM
thanks Martyn

edge-maker
05-12-03, 09:55 AM
What i normally do when installing a lanyard hole tube (can be brass, nickel silver or stainless, even titanium), is take a triangular file and file some shallow cuts arond the perimeter of the tube (about in the middle). These are anchoring spots for the epoxy. If the epoxy has set, the tube can't move. Do take care not to file the cuts too deep or they will show on the inside!!

Gert