PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried apple wood for scales?

easilyled
20-11-06, 06:19 PM
I managed to trim some decent size pieces off an apple tree today and kept a couple of chunks back in case they might be good for the new handle I'm going to put on a Martindale. There are lots of growth nodes on the surface and quick investigation shows promising grain patterns.

It seems a very heavy wood, quite high moisture content I would think.

Has anyone tried apple once it has dried a bit? If its any good and anyone is interested I am happy to send the bits I dont need for the cost of the postage.....

Buttercup
20-11-06, 06:49 PM
We have some spoons carved from apple tree offcuts and they've gone a lovely cafe au lait brown. The wood was great to carve and whittle, feeling a little soft like toffee, and now it's quite hard. Unfinished it has darkened considerably with use. Maybe a little on the soft side for scales though, certainly softer say than cherry, but I'd think usable if not too thin.

Quite a few of the "log" pieces developed star shakes as they dried so it's worth sealing the end grain by dipping in wax

Fiskar
20-11-06, 07:24 PM
Apple splits and cracks easily, as do most fruit tree woods. Quarter sawing can solve it to an extent. Slow dry it, dont kiln it. It develops wonderfull colours when dried, from pinks and red streaks to buttery yellows, a really mellow wood. I'd recommend it if you can get decent enough pieces to use.;)

cod12ie
20-11-06, 07:34 PM
Friskar is right a very nice wood. seal all end grain and knots with wax, pva or a purpose made endsealer.

cut into generous lumps as it will warp and twist as it dries out.

Apple like all fruit woods is prone to the old worm.

easilyled
20-11-06, 09:12 PM
Great stuff & thanks for the help. I'd better get it back out of the boiler room! I've three 300mm odd lengths of trunk. Lets give it a while to dry then if its looking good and anyone is interested I'll send some for the cost of the post.

joekid
21-11-06, 12:03 AM
I managed to trim some decent size pieces off an apple tree today and kept a couple of chunks back in case they might be good for the new handle I'm going to put on a Martindale. There are lots of growth nodes on the surface and quick investigation shows promising grain patterns.

It seems a very heavy wood, quite high moisture content I would think.

Has anyone tried apple once it has dried a bit? If its any good and anyone is interested I am happy to send the bits I dont need for the cost of the postage.....a friend of mines got some applewood handles on he,s expensive spinning rods ,theyve got to be cured & dried for a spell, but they look gorgeous lightly stained,