PDA

View Full Version : Knife on framar site

The General
14-04-03, 03:55 PM
Pronounced Ka-ta-tu, meaning three times in Zulu. In 1995, Scott Cook made a magnificent double-edged art knife that featured a triple ground blade. It won the award for Best Fixed Blade on Show at the 1995 California Custom Knife Show and drew many admiring comments from knife makers and collectors alike. The concept of a triple grind is one not often seen. Sometimes swords will feature a groove down the center of the blade but evenly spaced "columns" are not common.
In 2000, Scott ground a fixed blade for Chris Reeve Knives that combines the tried and tested one-piece concept and a triple-grind blade. This knife, the Kathathu, with the hollow grind repeated evenly three times, was a limited edition and only 50 were made. In 2001, a 5 1/2 inch triple-grind blade is added to the collection, and there will be a limited number of 66 5 1/2'' Kathathus made.
Price: £359.00

Look, this is not an advert, is it just me or is this knife WAY overpriced?

Martyn
14-04-03, 04:12 PM
Give us a link then Wayne? ;)

The General
14-04-03, 04:27 PM
http://www.framarknives.co.uk/ChrisReeves2.html

:o :o :o

I might be wrong, but I thought it was a bit steep for the 5.5" model?

Colin KC
14-04-03, 04:29 PM
Way, way, WAY overpriced:rolleyes:

The General
14-04-03, 04:43 PM
Glad its not just me!

IIRC these are available in places for $250-$300 still? Or was that the next size up?

BTW I am still looking for a nice double edged dagger in a good steel from 6-8"

Just seen a desert camo boker Farbain applegate for $109 at the knifecenter. Looks like double plain edge grind and its 440C steel!:)

I am SERIOUSLY tempted to go for this sucker!

Link: http://store.knifecenter.com/pgi-ProductSpec?BOAF543DES

bagman
18-04-03, 11:00 PM
Wayne -

Framar have got the basic boker A/F II for £54.99 in 440c but I dont know what sort of sheath it comes with.

If you want that knifecentre one give me a shout as I will have an order going over in the next week or so.

The General
22-04-03, 09:16 AM
Already ordered it!

I saw the Framar offers (they are very reasonable in fairness) However I wanted the limited numbered model and the desert camo aspect did appeal to me!

I'm wearing genuine choc chip pattern desert combats at the moment!:p

I'm hoping it will arrive next coupl of days...

Will have to collect from Post depo though as I am working a five day shift.:(

PS_Bond
22-04-03, 09:37 AM
Wayne - you're scaring me.

Please don't give future threads the opportunity to deteriorate into in depth discussions of what people are wearing! :)

Nice knife tho'...

bagman
22-04-03, 10:56 AM
Wayne - let us know what it is like please when it arrives.

The General
22-04-03, 12:27 PM
Hehehehe!:p

Will do big guy! To be honest, the Boker brand does have a fairly good rep and 440c steel can't be bad!

I am slightly concerned that the edge grind looks rather steep and don't look forward to thining it out if it comes to that...

Still I will hold judgement till its in my hand!

I do not own a 'proper' double edged dagger style knife, or a Boker fixed blade, so this combined with the excellent steel (normally 8a or worse in this style of blade?) makes it a clear choice for me.

I was considering a Cold Steel Tai Pan (8a) or the SAfe Keeper in Carbon V. However the Randal model double edged dagger also apealed. I was thinking about the traditional Fairbain knife but closer inspection showed a total lack of edge...:( Its a pointy bit of metal really and not at all suitable for rapid slashing or transiion cuts. I am hoping the Applegate varient is suitable for this type of thing.:D

I think it will make a great backup backup backup to the Katana...;)

So to add to the thread, what to you all have under the pillow/on bedside table, next to bed?

Me, Puma Cougar under pillow

http://www.outdoormania.com/belt.htm Third down list...

Practical Katana next to bed

http://www.imperialweapons.com/oriental/swords/1070-GT.html

and RAM industries folding baton near door.

http://www.usaflashlights.com/ram11021.html Here is a cool add on!

Just kidding of course mr policeman!:rolleyes:

bagman
22-04-03, 01:05 PM
Wayne - I dont think the FS was meant for slashing just for putting through the ribs to get at the squashy bits inside :D

By the side of my bed I have a Streamlite Stinger in its charger for illumination of the subject, a 4 d cell maglite (for more illumination or an improvised club) and a cheapy expandable baton. I keep my large sebie and currently my Spyderco Moran in the bedside draw but with a 4 year old on the loose lots of sharp objects within reach are not a good idea althougth he does know not to touch daddies knives as they are very sharp.

If the worst came to the worst I would rather have an impact weapon (sorry officer its a tool) than an edged one as I would not be reticent in using it as hard as I needed to.

The General
22-04-03, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by bagman
Wayne - I dont think the FS was meant for slashing just for putting through the ribs to get at the squashy bits inside :D

Yep, I came to that conclusion as well... more like the traditional triangular cross section poniard.

Spyderco Moran

Which varient? I went for the skinner swept point rather than the drop point.

If the worst came to the worst I would rather have an impact weapon (sorry officer its a tool) than an edged one as I would not be reticent in using it as hard as I needed to.

This is VERY true. I have often thought if I had a wall or shelf mount for my swords, then it would not be 'unreasonable' to argue it was the first thing at hand...:confused:

I guess the LAw is quite clear on the subject: Reasonable force is equal or lesser force. Unless its a Samuri going for me a sword is slightly OTT:mad:

Colin KC
22-04-03, 01:20 PM
Wayne/Baggy,
The FS was properly designed for one thing, deep thrusting wound (usually, for sentry removal, via the lower neck (diagonally downwards to violate windpipe & arteries) & under the armpit (for violation of the lung) never through the ribs (easy to miss, get it jammed, or break the point on a rib:eek: ) although sometimes under them.

The Gerber/Boker AF was, however designed for the much less messy "general purpose" fighting tool, which it was ok at (better than most, worse than some)

As to the "next to the bed" scenario, if they can get past my watch kitten & my wife, they're welcome to try me (nekkid & unarmed:eek: ;) )

bagman
22-04-03, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Colin KC

As to the "next to the bed" scenario, if they can get past my watch kitten & my wife, they're welcome to try me (nekkid & unarmed:eek: ;) )

:eek: :D

MushiSushi
22-04-03, 02:13 PM
(nekkid & unarmed )

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

that'll scare the poop out of 'em

zardoz
22-04-03, 05:49 PM
I keep an expandable baton in the bed too....

but it keeps breaking! Fnah fnah

Colin KC
22-04-03, 06:12 PM
Trust Dave "Saunders" to lower the tone:rolleyes: ;)

The General
22-04-03, 07:15 PM
Well I got home today and the postman had tried to deliver! It said 2.30 and I left the flat at 2.20...:(

I just had to go home at dinner time to see if they had tried to deliver...

Well I got it redirected to my workplace, so I aught to get it on Wed, all things being equal.

The most promising news? It did not say I had any money to pay! This means with the greatest of luck the Church boys never had a look in the box! Hint, always order over a holiday... LOTS of parcels to inspect...:p

bagman
22-04-03, 08:21 PM
Dave - I did not think they did batons that small :D

Colin KC
22-04-03, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by bagman
Dave - I did not think they did batons that small :D

Ooooh, fireworks (soon:p )

The General
23-04-03, 03:05 PM
Spoke to soon:(

Got hammered for £42!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Bloody expensive knife in the end...:eek:

bagman
23-04-03, 03:14 PM
Wayne - do you want to give me a quick ring at work and I may be able to help in future.

I will PM you the numbe if you dont have an emial from me handy.

The General
23-04-03, 05:26 PM
Thanks, Bagman, normally I would get a mate in the US to....;) but I am a little short on contacts right now!
I can't speak to you on the phone as I can't really squeeze the time in appart from on a monday when the owner is not in to keep a beady eye on me! A sneaky beaky couple of mins on the net is all otherwise possible! LOL! Even being the manager has its downsides!

1st impressions are:

The grind lines are very clean and even. The edge is somewhere between 20 and 25 degree's and is truely shaving sharp! Very very nice. The blade has a great feel to it, almost alive, very well balanced. If it were not for the fact this is a more limited edition knife, without the horrid commemorative rubbish on it, I would be very upset at the price I paid for this. In total it has cost me about £120, which when you consider I could have had a similar model (plain Jane) for about £70 inc postal from Framar…

Anyway, I ordered some Tuf Glide at the same time… and it is a stunning knife!
;)

bagman
23-04-03, 06:41 PM
Glad you like it Wayne.

I am realy spent out at the moment but when I have some spare cash :rolleyes: I am thinking of getting one of the mini smatchets from Framar.

I will drop you an email tomorrow about a couple of dodges.

The General
24-04-03, 12:05 PM
Got the mail, thanks! Serves me right for not doing things the way I normally do... I took the risk and paid the price, literally!:rolleyes:

Interesting knife those smatchets!:D

I have to say after a much better look at the knife I am impressed with the Boker QC as this knife is very well appointed. Even at the inflated price I paid I am happy with it.

If you ever do get this model, be warned many of them either don't have a true double edge or horror of horrors have serrations on one side!:rolleyes: :eek: :p