PDA

View Full Version : Kissing Crane Stiletto KC48

dkonopinski
11-10-07, 12:52 PM
Herself has taken the camera to school again today, but I promised Danzo a review, so here goes. My maiden revue! Blush.

If I can, I'll post pics tomorrow.

This isn't mine, but mine's one of these:-

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa280/dkonopinski/KC48.jpg

This knife is 9" long when open with a 4" blade of which the sharpened edge is 3.5". I say sharpened edge, but actually it's as sharp as a house brick. The tang is stamped with the Kissing Crane (singular) logo on one side and "KC48 ROSTFREI" on the other. The blade is etched with a stylised stiletto, under which is "logo KISSING CRANE * Germany" along the blade and "KC48 Germany" across it just above the tang.

I'll not get into the whole KC, Robt. Klaas, Crane, Cranes, etc discussion here, it's been covered elsewhere by them wot know more than I do.

The blade is 0.1" thick & 0.5" wide at the tang. The scales are dark brown wood with the KC logo on a brass inset.There is no looseness or wobble anywhere and the lock device is very positive. It also provides a resistance (not a lock position) when the blade is at a 40ish degree angle to closed, which I guess might save a cut finger or two. The lock bar is also the spring so when it's released the blade could, in theory, start to fold due it's own weight, but the fit is good enough to prevent this. A pretty hefty downward flicking movement, while the lock is held off, is needed to get the blade to move. (I hope that makes sense)

The scales are finished well and comfortable in the hand, but are not shaped into the bolsters. This is the same as I've seen on other Stilettos. The fit of the scales between the bolster is good. The brass bolsters and liners on each side are a single piece and the pins are brass apart from the blade pivot which is steel. The pinheads are proud of the scales & bolsters, but sit as they should.

It looks the part, walk & talk are excellent. How would it do as a user? Time alone will tell, but in fairness I can't think why I would use it as opposed to the usual suspects, Opi, SAK, Sodbuster and it's not a legal EDC.

I bought it for 25 squids from Charley's Tool Shed 'cross the bay. It's the third time I've bought from this vendor and service has always been impeccable. They also always seem to have this knife in stock.

In summary, a stylish, good-looking stiletto folder, but be prepared to sharpen it. I'm sure some purists will be able to find other faults, but keep in mind the price.

David

yellowhammer
11-10-07, 01:16 PM
Nice review David, thanks. I have to say it's not my cup of tea as it looks a bit, umm, stabby, but as you say, for 25 notes you can't really go wrong :)

dkonopinski
11-10-07, 01:24 PM
Nice review David, thanks. I have to say it's not my cup of tea as it looks a bit, umm, stabby, but as you say, for 25 notes you can't really go wrong :)

:lol: It's that blunt, at least it's good for something.:lol: Butter knife?

yellowhammer
11-10-07, 01:27 PM
:lol: It's that blunt, at least it's good for something.:lol: Butter knife?

Covert toast deanimation :D

grangerknives
11-10-07, 01:42 PM
I have a few of these. I like them. Over here we can get the wood ones
for about 10 GBP. (group buy?) But at any rate...

Regarding the handles not being blended to the bolsters (which bugged
me to no end):
I used a drum samder chucked into a drill press (pillar drill?) to blend them.
As seen below. Though I show only one side, (for simplicity's sake) I did not disassemble the knife.
And of course you'll have to rotate the knife longitudinally to blend all along the bolster.

Seal the fresh grind with a wee bit of super gloo and then hand sand with progressively
finer grits and polish to a fine lustre. She'll be quite pretty.

See below below for a less stabby look...

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k187/grangerknives/KChandlemethod.jpg

One of mine had a 3.5" blade. I needed it to be 3.0" to carry at work. So I ground it into a
drop point that ended up being 2.9" from tip to bolster.

Danzo
11-10-07, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the comments David. Sounds well made, but the bluntness would bug me badly!

Danzo

dkonopinski
11-10-07, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the comments David. Sounds well made, but the bluntness would bug me badly!

Danzo

I know what you mean, Dan. But if ever you want a letter opener appropriately styled for the desk of a knife gatherer, one of these will fit the bill. David

daveathall@btin
11-10-07, 03:24 PM
Great review David, thank you i enjoyed it.