PDA

View Full Version : Alrighty then.

Clem
09-07-04, 10:45 PM
Hello folks,found this great forum the other night when looking for a good quality allrounder/hunting/skinning/bushcraft type knife.Had a read here and thought that this place may be a good place to learn a bit and ask advice on what knife to buy.Iam not a collecter more of a user kind of chap,so one good quality knife is what iam looking for. :)

Chux
09-07-04, 11:02 PM
Would you bit averse to getting a custom made knife? Could be more tailored to what you need etc and a bit more of a personal item.

Just be careful not to get bitten by the bug.

PS Welcome to the forum.

Danzo
09-07-04, 11:05 PM
Hi Clem and a big welcome to you!

:biggthump

You may get more than one offer a good user for your needs ;) but a scandinavian style knife will fulfill all of your requirements. There are a lot of very good makers of handmade knives who can make you exactly what you need. And they all hang out here and speak English. Some of them even are English.

:approve:

If you are more of a user then a collector have you visited our good friends over at:

www.bushcraftuk.co.uk ?

You will find a lot of us there as well, but you may get a more straightforward answer that makes sense without doing a degree in 'Modern Steels and their Uses in Knife Making' or spending all of your money.

:rolleyes:

Danzo

Clem
09-07-04, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the replys Chux,Danzo.Iam not at all adverse to buying a custom knife,iam after just one knife an allrounder type.Thanks for the link Danzo,i shall take a look. :thanks:

UK Ken
13-07-04, 10:12 AM
Welcome Clem!

Like Danzo says, there are some excellent custom/handmade knife makers here. Take your time and have a really good look around before you make your decision! If you are going to get a knife that will last you a life time, make sure it's one you can live with.

A bit like getting married really! Where did I go wrong?

Regards Ken

Clem
15-07-04, 11:59 AM
Welcome Clem!

Like Danzo says, there are some excellent custom/handmade knife makers here. Take your time and have a really good look around before you make your decision! If you are going to get a knife that will last you a life time, make sure it's one you can live with.

A bit like getting married really! Where did I go wrong?

Regards Ken :biggthump Thanks for the welcome.

Basemetal
15-07-04, 09:04 PM
Welcome Clem

so one good quality knife is what iam looking for.
Good luck, I could as easily do that as eat just one HobNob...
What I find fascinating with tools like knives is that every single facet and feature of a good knife is "just so" for a reason. Unravelling the reasons, whether in theory and history, or by using them is tremendously satisfying. A side effect is that you may end up with more than one...

Clem
17-07-04, 08:31 PM
Welcome Clem
Good luck, I could as easily do that as eat just one HobNob...
What I find fascinating with tools like knives is that every single facet and feature of a good knife is "just so" for a reason. Unravelling the reasons, whether in theory and history, or by using them is tremendously satisfying. A side effect is that you may end up with more than one...Well i understand what your saying but i really only wish to carry with me what i need in the field ect.Just one good allround quality tool,does not have to be fancy,just needs to work and last a while.