PDA

View Full Version : Heads up 5x nice Bialaddin's on ebay...

Martyn
18-05-08, 05:13 PM
...nothing to do with me but there are 3x ex mod Bialaddin 320's (Actually all Vapalux M320's but same lamp) on ebay in excellent condintion going for £30 each on BIN...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WAR-OFFICE-BIALADDIN-VAPALUX-TILLEY-TYPE-KEROSINE-LAMP_W0QQitemZ300225916287QQihZ020QQcategoryZ11711 2QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WAR-OFFICE-BIALADDIN-VAPALUX-TILLEY-TYPE-KEROSINE-LAMP_W0QQitemZ300225917160QQihZ020QQcategoryZ11711 2QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WAR-OFFICE-BIALADDIN-VAPALUX-TILLEY-TYPE-KEROSINE-LAMP_W0QQitemZ300225919158QQihZ020QQcategoryZ11711 2QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

...and 2 completely unused and unissued 320's for £39.99 each on BIN...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WAR-OFFICE-BIALADDIN-VAPALUX-TILLEY-TYPE-KEROSINE-LAMP_W0QQitemZ300225915762QQihZ020QQcategoryZ11711 2QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WAR-OFFICE-BIALADDIN-VAPALUX-TILLEY-TYPE-KEROSINE-LAMP_W0QQitemZ300225915578QQihZ020QQcategoryZ11711 2QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bargain. These are on sale from base-camp UK for £120 and I saw an older unissued Vapalux 315 go for £70 a couple of days ago.

marcus2
19-05-08, 11:00 AM
Thanks Martyn,looks like I managed to grab the last one.:)

Big Si Belcher
19-05-08, 11:31 AM
I've aready got a valpalux, a bialadin and far too many tilleys. I think that a few more vintage colemans are now in order :D :D :D

Si

AndyW
19-05-08, 06:20 PM
I got one of these as well :D

Been toying with the idea long enough, so bit the bullet as they have been so highly recommended!

Andy

marcus2
19-05-08, 06:26 PM
People are bidding more for the same lamp in rough condition!!!

Martyn
20-05-08, 12:42 AM

He's just put a load more unissued Vapalux 320's up on BIN.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Folly-Prints

He must have bought a big job lot off the MOD. These are great prices for mint lamps.

No connection etc.

Noddy
20-05-08, 04:49 AM
Anyone here get that brass one that finished yesterday?

A more graceful thing than the Vapalux ones in all regards

LukeT
20-05-08, 04:20 PM
Anyone here get that brass one that finished yesterday?

A more graceful thing than the Vapalux ones in all regards

Do you mean this one?
http://i8.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/f0/67/e419_1.JPG

Noddy
20-05-08, 05:56 PM
This one :):D Went for £40

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x308/nodney1/57c1_1.jpg

LukeT
20-05-08, 06:11 PM
Ahaa, is that a Tilley? It's very pretty to be sure but I do love the look of the vapalux 320.

Martyn
20-05-08, 06:14 PM
This one :):D Went for £40

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x308/nodney1/57c1_1.jpgI was watching that one, nearly bought it for a house lamp, lovely thing, but I wanted an outdoor lamp.

BTW, get Tilley 164H Happy Mantles for em (the type with the split ring) - much brighter than Vapalux's own mantles.

Martyn
20-05-08, 06:15 PM
Ahaa, is that a Tilley?

No, an old Bialaddin model 305.

Martyn
20-05-08, 06:16 PM
Do you mean this one?
http://i8.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/f0/67/e419_1.JPG

That's a modern Vapalux military M320 with the fount stripped of the green paint and polished.

Noddy
20-05-08, 06:24 PM
It's very pretty to be sure but I do love the look of the vapalux 320.

Actually, looking at them together now I start to see your point.

LukeT
20-05-08, 07:43 PM
That's a modern Vapalux military M320 with the fount stripped of the green paint and polished.

That's good as I've just bought that one and one of the brand new ones and was hoping to be able to strip the new one to match.

marcus2
22-05-08, 08:12 PM
My lamp arrived today,only posted the payment off on Monday afternoon.The lamp is in outstanding condition with two genuine mantels.I bought myself 4 litres of premium parrafin for £3.75,filled her up all ready to go and then realised I had forgotten the blimmin meths...DOH..Now I have to wait until tomorrow.:( :lol:

AndyW
22-05-08, 08:35 PM
Mine arrived yesterday.

Timing could not have been better.

I was off to where my company keeps it's archive (a former pig shed :rolleyes: ) and had just heard the power was out. Others had gone out to buy torches. I bought parafin and meths :P

It worked a treat :D

Andy

Martyn
22-05-08, 10:23 PM
My lamp arrived today,only posted the payment off on Monday afternoon.The lamp is in outstanding condition with two genuine mantels.I bought myself 4 litres of premium parrafin for £3.75,filled her up all ready to go and then realised I had forgotten the blimmin meths...DOH..Now I have to wait until tomorrow.:( :lol:

I think they are amazing. I got meself 2 of the unused ones. I decided to keep my Bialaddin 320 nice as it's in lovely condition, a bit rare and the same vintage as meself. So I got a couple of these unused military M320's for kicking about. Here's one of em running....

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i273/Martyn_s30v/vapaluxm320_002.jpg

Cheap too ...5p in meths to light, then 10p an hour to run and they crack out 1 kilowatt of heat as well, nil carbon monoxide, which makes em safe for indoor use and non of the associated hazards of petrol. One good pumping lasts an easy 3 to 4 hours before needing a top up, they'll run 10 hours on one fill of paraffin, they are superbly engineered (probably the best of their type) and they are British.

Tip, get a couple of the Tilley 164H "Happy Mantles" for em (loads on ebay), they are much brighter than the stock Vapalux mantles.

Ross
22-05-08, 10:44 PM
Why do I read these threads? :rolleyes: :)

Got myself a nice Hipolito H502 in fair condition and ordered a few spare parts for it. Its a lovely sturdy lamp but the best thing was the price....£11 (Plus postage of course).

I'll post some pics when I've got it up & running......

Damm you Martyn! :mad: :C :D

mojofilter
22-05-08, 10:47 PM

Paraffin wil work to preheat, its just a bit messier. ;)

tomtom
22-05-08, 10:49 PM
Can we have a Mojo or Martyn film works presentation of 'The Ignition Process' please?

scalpel
22-05-08, 11:46 PM
For anyone thinking about getting one of these - there are still loads from the same seller still on ebay. I received one of the "used" or issued ones the other day and as far as I am concerned it is mint - the wick on the primer eas still white/uncharred.
Aidan

marcus2
23-05-08, 11:50 AM
Martyn,is that a Tilley mantle in the one in the photo?Mine does'nt burn half as bright as that one.
Mojo,thanks for the tip mate.

Martyn
23-05-08, 12:20 PM
Martyn,is that a Tilley mantle in the one in the photo?Mine does'nt burn half as bright as that one.
Mojo,thanks for the tip mate.

Yes, it's burning a Tilley 164H, they are much brighter/whiter.

The vapalux mantles give a softer, yellower light. Each to his own.

marcus2
23-05-08, 12:37 PM
Thanks Martyn,I think the ironmongers in town does Tilley bits I'll have a look this afternoon.:)

Martyn
23-05-08, 12:46 PM
Note, the 164H mantle has a metal split ring to secure it at the top, whereas the vapalux is a tie-on type. Dont be put off when you see the split ring - it will fit. The ring is just a push fit over the groove. Dont get the Tilley 164X mantle, it's not the same thing.

Huon
23-05-08, 01:54 PM
Hi Martyn,

What have you found to be the best source of paraffin and meths for running these?

Cheers,

Huon

Martyn
23-05-08, 02:44 PM
I havent really shopped around, I'm just using Bartoline brand paraffin from B&Q. I think it's about £4.50 for 4 litres. But it's still cheap compared to Coleman fuel at £10/litre. I believe some places still sell it at the pump and it's quite a bit cheaper. I think the cheapest possible is heating oil, which is about 60p a litre.

That means a running cost of 6p an hour for heating oil and just over 11p and hour for Bartoline. Good value, especially compared to Coleman fuel, which typically runs out at £1 hour in their petrol lamps. Panel wipe is cheaper and 4 star is only a little more than Bartoline, but then you have issues with the toxins.

Basically using the best possible fuel in a paraffin lamp, is still cheaper than using the nastiest fuel in a petrol lamp.

marcus2
23-05-08, 04:22 PM
Just put a Tilley mantle on and no way will it burn white like yours,it's actually brighter with the original mantle.The Tilley mantle would no way go on,I broke the string on two of them and ended up using a bit of fuse wire to replace the string.The mantle is actually glowing more orange/red than white.I've tried increasing/decreasing the pressure but that makes no difference.I'll give it another go later.:huh:

Jason_01
23-05-08, 05:20 PM
Marcus, you could try the Tilley 164X which is the tie on rather than the ring fitting (164H), thats what I had on mine.

Theyre all 300cp mantles so should be quite bright, mine certainly was, if its burning orange I wonder if youve got a pressure leak somewhere. Mantle was fully burnt off wasnt it ;)

Ive been using Primus LPG mantles in my Optimus 1200 for years with no problem, I have a reasonable stash of em but theyre only open at one end so I need to buy some more for me Vapalux :rolleyes:

Ive got more than a lifetimes supply of gas lanterns which to be honest are the ones I use when I need light but Ive still had to resist buying another Vapalux! They do look bloody good!

Martyn
23-05-08, 08:22 PM
Just put a Tilley mantle on and no way will it burn white like yours,it's actually brighter with the original mantle.The Tilley mantle would no way go on,I broke the string on two of them and ended up using a bit of fuse wire to replace the string.The mantle is actually glowing more orange/red than white.I've tried increasing/decreasing the pressure but that makes no difference.I'll give it another go later.:huh:

Whoa tex slow down. OK, be gentle with the mantles. Unscrew the center bit from the burner head and put that through the small end of the mantle, thread first and then screw it back in before putting the ring on.

Sounds like what you have been doing is trying to put the mantle on without unscrewing the center bit. That wont work cos there is a bulge that is too big for the small end of the mantle to fit over.

Next, dont forget that vthe lamps wont look that bright in daylight. The pic of mine was taken in darkness and the camera adjusted for that ...though it is a pretty fair reflection. Wait till it's dark before assessing the mantles and let them burn in properly.

Martyn
23-05-08, 08:40 PM
Just took this pic. The lamp on the left is burning a vapalux mantle, the lamp on the right is burning a Tilley 164H mantle...

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i273/Martyn_s30v/vapaluxm320_004.jpg

The camera probably over exposes the mantles a bit, because when you look at them with the naked eye, you can see the outline of both mantles, which are obscured in the pic (though I get spots in front of me eyes afterwards :lol: )

marcus2
23-05-08, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the advice Martyn,I didnt realise the center would unscrew from the burner.The lamp is running a hell of a lot brighter than it was,but only half (one side) of the mantle is pure white,the other side is still red/black in colour.I'm letting it run all evening and hopefully the mantle will sort itself out,or have I buggered it by handling it too much?
Oh and I quite like the name Tex.:D

Martyn
23-05-08, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the advice Martyn,I didnt realise the center would unscrew from the burner.The lamp is running a hell of a lot brighter than it was,but only half (one side) of the mantle is pure white,the other side is still red/black in colour.I'm letting it run all evening and hopefully the mantle will sort itself out,or have I buggered it by handling it too much?
Oh and I quite like the name Tex.:D

Handling it too much puts oils on the mantle from your fingers which affect how the mantle burns off, but they should carburise and burn out if you let the mantle burn in for a good while. If it stays black, one tip I read was to light the lamp without the glass and play the flame of a gas blowtorch over the mantle to burn off the black. Not tried it.

marcus2
23-05-08, 09:05 PM
Handling it too much puts oils on the mantle from your fingers which affect how the mantle burns off, but they should carburise and burn out if you let the mantle burn in for a good while. If it stays black, one tip I read was to light the lamp without the glass and play the flame of a gas blowtorch over the mantle to burn off the black. Not tried it.

Ha ha I actually considered doing that earlier,but did'nt have any gas in the blowtorch,I thought propane might be a little bit too much:lol:

Martyn
23-05-08, 09:08 PM
Quick question, are you getting flames coming through the mantle? I'm wondering why your mantles are going black?

marcus2
23-05-08, 09:13 PM
There was a slight flame surrounding the mantle but that seems to have settled back down now.

Martyn
23-05-08, 09:21 PM
There was a slight flame surrounding the mantle but that seems to have settled back down now.

Prolly just teething. Mine did that for the first couple of burns, just let it run for a couple of hours to settle in.

ClintC
24-05-08, 09:31 PM
Couldn't resist this so have taken the plunge and joined the Bialaddin 320's club, bought 2 in fact!! Now just need to figure out what to tell the wife:rolleyes:

marcus2
24-05-08, 10:35 PM
Still cant get it to run right with a Tilley mantle,looks like it's yellow light for me.

Martyn
24-05-08, 11:08 PM
Still cant get it to run right with a Tilley mantle,looks like it's yellow light for me.

OK....

plenty of fuel in the tank
light meths
let burn for a couple of mins
close air screw
10 or so pumps
wait 30 seconds
another 20 pumps
let it burn for 5 minutes

should now be as bright as it can get.

At no point should you get flames through the mantle (except when initially burning off a new mantle). If you get flames coming through the mantle, your vapouriser is goosed.

Can you take a photo of it running and post it here?

I'm not sure what you are expecting though - it's a paraffin mantle light dont forget, it'll never be as bright as an electric light.

mojofilter
24-05-08, 11:14 PM

Tilley mantles are different from Bialaddin ones, they diameter of the cut out is bigger on one than t'other, I cant remember which way about.

Martyn
24-05-08, 11:29 PM
Mine run brighter with Tilley mantles mojo (see pics above).

murphy
25-05-08, 12:03 AM
Do any of you older types know if the old Thorium mantles used to burn brighter or if there are new formulations that work just as well, or even better?
I'm sure I've got one or two lying around somewhere but I don't want to use them. :)

Martyn
25-05-08, 12:37 AM
I believe the non-radioactive mantles are not quite as bright as the older ones.

Martyn
25-05-08, 12:41 AM
Couldn't resist this so have taken the plunge and joined the Bialaddin 320's club, bought 2 in fact!! Now just need to figure out what to tell the wife:rolleyes:

Tell her they are Bar-B-Q lamps. ;)

marcus2
25-05-08, 11:31 AM
Heres the lamp lit to your exact instructions,the mantle is a brand new Tilley one.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s109/marcus2_photo/DSCF1613.jpg

Jason_01
25-05-08, 11:47 AM
Doesnt look like the mantle has burnt in yet.

When you turned it off did the mantle carry on smoking? Turn it off, let it smoke for a while and relight if its still not right turn it off again an let it smoulder some more.

marcus2
25-05-08, 11:48 AM
Hi Jason the mantle has been totally burned in and even had a going over with a blowtorch just to make sure.:(

Martyn
25-05-08, 12:00 PM
I think your vapouriser may be knackered mate, I had one of these lamps which came with a goosed vapouriser ...it can happen, but I'm told it's very unusual for a vapalux. I got a replacement from the seller. My lamp looked worse than yours though. Certainly, your lamp is not right. Have you tried turning the jet cleaner while it's running?

This is what the effects of a knackered vapouriser tube look like...

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i273/Martyn_s30v/m320_001.jpg

It was easy for me to confirm that the vap-tube was knackered because I bought 2 lamps and was able to swap parts between them and therefore isolate the vap-tube as the culprit.

Looks like yours might have the same problem but to a lesser degree.

marcus2
25-05-08, 12:06 PM
Hi Martyn,tried the cleaner while running,tried pretty much everything,time to contact the seller I think.I'll let you know what happens.

Jason_01
25-05-08, 12:10 PM
Presumably its the jet that gets damaged/worn on the vapouriser?

Might be worth stripping it and blowing it out, clean the jet while its apart if the tube can be dismatled, I havent tried on mine. This is the big disadvantage of not having a seperate replaceable jet.

Have a look at the top of the vapouriser tube and check tthat the needle pops up and down freely when you turn the jet cleaner knob, should just see it.

Apart from the jet the only other thing I can think of is if its not holding pressure. Most areas that it can leak would show up as paraffin dribbling out, the pump tube would fill up if the no return valve was leaking, you could check the tank cap with soapy water.

Martyn
25-05-08, 12:24 PM
Presumably its the jet that gets damaged/worn on the vapouriser?

Might be worth stripping it and blowing it out, clean the jet while its apart if the tube can be dismatled, I havent tried on mine. This is the big disadvantage of not having a seperate replaceable jet.

Have a look at the top of the vapouriser tube and check tthat the needle pops up and down freely when you turn the jet cleaner knob, should just see it.

The vapourisers on these are (supposed to be) non user serviceable. Mine was a previously unlit lamp, so wear and tear was not the issue. I think if they work, they work for ever pretty much. I think the problem is because the vap tube is steel and these lamps have sat unused in a shed for 12 years with no paraffin up the spout to lubricate them, they get corroded on the inside. Then when you first turn the jet cleaner, the pricker needle bends and your vapouriser is goosed.

Marcus, take off the hood, remove the glass, remove the meths cup. Grip the tube with your hand and unscrew, they should only be fitted hand tight. You can try inspecting the pricker needle for bends and corrosion. you could try squirting some WD40 down it, then blasting it through with unlit paraffin (put the tube back on, leave the glass off, leave the head off and pump up the lamp).

Jason_01
25-05-08, 12:36 PM
I see, Ive just taken mine off and removed the pricker, some lumps of soot in there, glad I looked.

The design is similar to the Primus 96 stove in that the jet is a hole drilled into the vapouriser tube rtaher than having a seperate screw in jet. On the stove they are often damaged by people using the wrong size pricker or just wear over the years so they end up oversize.

Marcus, dont know if you have sight of a parts diagram, there are only two loose parts in the tube, the pricker and a return spring, make sure the spring is there and be gentle with the pricker the tip is only about 1 thou of an inch almost too fine to see.

marcus2
25-05-08, 01:16 PM
Thanks guy's I've actually already tried all of these things.The seller is going to send me another vapouriser,so fingers crossed that should sort it out.Thanks for all your help.:)

ClintC
25-05-08, 08:06 PM
This diagram may be of some help with regards to this discussion:

http://www.base-camp.co.uk/320.htm

jerbal
26-05-08, 11:33 AM
This shop (http://parafinalia2000.moonfruit.com/) sells spares for paraffin lamps of all kinds, his shop is on my wife's delivery run. Click on "This is Parafinalia " then "Go Sales" and he has those lamps for £45 plus £8 p&p. He also sells recon kits for them from an ebay shop under the same name.

Martyn
26-05-08, 02:47 PM
This shop (http://parafinalia2000.moonfruit.com/) sells spares for paraffin lamps of all kinds, his shop is on my wife's delivery run. Click on "This is Parafinalia " then "Go Sales" and he has those lamps for £45 plus £8 p&p. He also sells recon kits for them from an ebay shop under the same name.

They are Tilley lamps he's selling. They are not the same as these.

jerbal
27-05-08, 01:19 PM
Sorry, the description on ebay as a Bialladin, Vapalux, Tilley lamp (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300227675500&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RCRX_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=300227675136&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m184&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu% 3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4) made me think the Tilley lamps might be the same. The glass globes and the mantles are same so it may be worth contacting him to see if the vaporiser will fit. This one (http://parafinalia.mfbiz.com/#/tilleylamp/4527436758) was the one that had me fooled.http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii246/peteff/Tilleylamp.jpg

Jason_01
27-05-08, 04:15 PM
Theres a badly misspelled Vapalux on the bay at the moment, looks like a 300, crap pictures but its £12 with no bids so far, ending 8.30 tonight if anyone is interested. Thought about having a punt meself but cant really justify buying more stuff at the moment :rolleyes:

jerbal
27-05-08, 08:33 PM
I've just bought that one for camping, there's some interesting info here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/munwai/vapalux.htm) about a bit of their history. Some interesting bits on here (http://www.bairstowbrothers.co.uk/vapalux/lamp_m320.htm) and here (http://www.base-camp.co.uk/instructions%20Vlux.htm) as well. This looks good stuff.

Jason_01
27-05-08, 08:49 PM
I've just bought that one for camping, there's some interesting info here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/munwai/vapalux.htm) about a bit of their history. Some interesting bits on here (http://www.bairstowbrothers.co.uk/vapalux/lamp_m320.htm) as well.

Good catch for £12, seems to be a rash of Vapaluxi on there at the moment. I didnt post the link in case somebody was watching it, glad we didnt get into a sniping war ;)

Martyn
27-05-08, 11:19 PM
The seller is going to send me another vapouriser, so fingers crossed that should sort it out.

Marcus, did you get your vap tube?

marcus2
28-05-08, 08:19 AM
Getting it return of post and I posted mine back yesterday,so probably Friday.In the meantime I have been given this Bialaddin for the price of the postage.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10923

Seems like I'm on a magic lamp roll.:D

jerbal
28-05-08, 11:38 AM
We've been looking at pictures and established the one I bought yesterday is a Vapalux M1B made for the MOD. The shop at Ilkeston carries all the spares for it but hopefully it won't need anything apart from mantles. Good catch there Marcus. I'm reading the instructions (http://www.base-camp.co.uk/instructions%20Vlux.htm) for lighting in anticipation.

Martyn
28-05-08, 04:28 PM
Getting it return of post and I posted mine back yesterday,so probably Friday.In the meantime I have been given this Bialaddin for the price of the postage.

Nice catch. :) BTW, the vaporiser tube from that Bialaddin 305 should fit your Vapalux M320.

Martyn
28-05-08, 04:29 PM
We've been looking at pictures and established the one I bought yesterday is a Vapalux M1B made for the MOD. The shop at Ilkeston carries all the spares for it but hopefully it won't need anything apart from mantles. Good catch there Marcus. I'm reading the instructions (http://www.base-camp.co.uk/instructions%20Vlux.htm) for lighting in anticipation.

C'mon then, lets see some pics of it burning? :)

Martyn
28-05-08, 04:39 PM
Sorry, the description on ebay as a Bialladin, Vapalux, Tilley lamp (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300227675500&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RCRX_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=300227675136&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m184&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu% 3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4) made me think the Tilley lamps might be the same.

I know what you mean. In the UK particularly, "Tilley Lamp" is used as a kind of generic term for any pressurised mantle lamp, regardless of make or model. Much like "Primus" is often used as a generic term for any brass pressurised stove. On ebay, sellers often include "Tilley" in the description when selling other makes such as Bialaddin, Vapalux, Optimus etc, to try and catch people who are searching for "a tilley lamp".

Even the MOD, who's tilley lamps have almost always been some Bialaddin or Vapalux model, still refer to them as tilley lamps. :lol:

jerbal
28-05-08, 05:23 PM
C'mon then, lets see some pics of it burning? :)
It's not arrived yet, it's got to come from Liverpool but I've got some Meths ready. That's if she's not drunk it all yet :C

Martyn
28-05-08, 05:47 PM
It's not arrived yet, it's got to come from Liverpool but I've got some Meths ready. That's if she's not drunk it all yet :C

10 mils (10 cc's) of meths is all you need in the spirit cup (less actually). You've got some paraffin too right?

jerbal
01-06-08, 12:33 PM
I'm picking it up Monday from the sorting office, I missed the post on Saturday :C It'll be after dinner as I have to get my car MOT in the morning. We're hoping for some better weather so we can use the trailer tent a bit. The hardware shop round the corner sells paraffin in gallon bottles, I use it for cleaning parts sometimes.

Martyn
03-06-08, 08:51 PM

Did your vap tube arrive Marcus?

I'm picking it up Monday from the sorting office, I missed the post on Saturday :C It'll be after dinner as I have to get my car MOT in the morning. We're hoping for some better weather so we can use the trailer tent a bit. The hardware shop round the corner sells paraffin in gallon bottles, I use it for cleaning parts sometimes.

You got it going yet jerbal?

Ross
03-06-08, 10:04 PM
I'm going to need some help I think.....got a new mantle & glass chimney for my pressure lamp, got some paraffin & filled the tank about 2/3rds full.

For fitting the mantle, do I have to stretch it over the gubbins or does it simply hang from the thingummybob? (Technical, I know.....). I appreciate the mantle shrinks down when lit for the first time.

As for lighting the lamp, I need meths, correct? Fill the wee channel & light it? What next?

mojofilter
03-06-08, 10:07 PM
I'm going to need some help I think.....got a new mantle & glass chimney for my pressure lamp, got some paraffin & filled the tank about 2/3rds full.

For fitting the mantle, do I have to stretch it over the gubbins or does it simply hang from the thingummybob? (Technical, I know.....). I appreciate the mantle shrinks down when lit for the first time.

Stretch it over the gubbins. ;)

As for lighting the lamp, I need meths, correct? Fill the wee channel & light it? What next?

Pump like ****! :D

Ross
03-06-08, 10:08 PM
Stretch it over the gubbins. ;)

Pump like ****! :D

Love it! Thanks Stuarty

mojofilter
03-06-08, 10:10 PM
Love it! Thanks Stuarty

Or in a bit more detail mate.

http://www.base-camp.co.uk/instructions%20Vlux.htm

or

http://www.base-camp.co.uk/instruction.html

;)

not sure which one you have.

Martyn
03-06-08, 11:07 PM
Burn the mantle off outside Ross and dont breathe the radioactive smoke - lots of nasties in that.

Martyn
03-06-08, 11:10 PM
Ross, you have a Petromax Hipolito H 502 right? I could be wrong, but I think the mantle just hangs on them.

Ross
04-06-08, 06:34 AM
Yes, thats the one. It didnt seem to fit over the gubbins very well....once I've got some meths and tried to light it, I may know better.....Thanks Martyn.

marcus2
04-06-08, 08:04 AM
Hi Martyn,nope no tube yet.The Bialaddin 305 arrived and it runs as good as yours do in the pictures.I will get some pictures up after I've given it a clean.
Cheers
Marcus :)

jerbal
04-06-08, 05:59 PM
After a consultation with the shop man at Ilkeston where I got the mantles it's the non return valve in the pump, freed it off and it lit straight away :D I'll get a picture later. He also says to preserve the mantles if you move the lamp about a lot get some firm hold hair spray and give them a light waft over after they cool down. A lot of the steam fair clientèle he sells to have them in vintage caravans and they save them this way. Picture added to show progress so far.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii246/peteff/lamp2.jpg

Jason_01
08-06-08, 01:41 PM
Found another Bialaddin for a fiver at the bootsale this morning, a 310, this ones been used and has some enamel missing from the top hat, I think its 50's vintage so not in bad condition but I'll probably replace the washers before I try and fire it up.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z14/jason_01_2007/310.jpg

I was looking for pressure stoves really but I seem to be having more luck with lamps.

Martyn
08-06-08, 01:48 PM
Looks tidy. Good catch.

I went up to the old fellas place for a BBQ last night. I took a couple of 320's with me and I was really impressed, much "cosier" than electric light. Me dad was impressed too, so much so, he's asked me to try and get one for him.

So I'm now looking for yet another tidy 320. :rolleyes:

Jason_01
08-06-08, 01:53 PM
Im feeling the need to go camping soon so that I can use one of them! I should also have an Optimus Ranger in the post to me so I'll be needing to stock up on paraffin :D

Bikething
08-06-08, 02:10 PM
So I'm now looking for yet another tidy 320. :rolleyes:
If you don't mind an M320 (MOD) I just picked one up from Endicotts in Exeter for £30ish

I'm told they were refurbed by the MOD prior to release - got a little bit of green patina around the filler cap but nothing that won't clean off easily. Glass intact with a new mantle included inside the glass in a bag..

comes in a box, containing the lamp, a reflector, and a spares kit containing a filler funnel, small tin for carrying meths, another spare mantle, a washer kit and a spare generator tube!!!

can't see it on their website, and I don't know how many they've got

disclaimer : no connection, other than as a happy customer :)

Martyn
08-06-08, 02:18 PM
Sounds perfect, M320 is what I'm after ...and a blimmin good deal too.

marcus2
08-06-08, 07:58 PM
Looks like :censored: Royal Mail have lost my vapouriser on the way to the lamp seller and he wants the old one back for refurbishment.:mad:

marcus2
17-06-08, 01:43 PM
At long last my vapouriser arrived today and the lamp is now working perfectly.