View Full Version : Hickory for handles?

31-10-04, 07:22 PM
Hmm... not sure if this is the right place to ask - I'm sure it will get moved if not...

Is hickory ever used for knife handles? I've not seen it listed, although I suppose that the exotics and burls are more sought after...

31-10-04, 07:26 PM

31-10-04, 07:29 PM
You want more? Ok.

Well it's used to make superior axe and hammer handles.There's no reason why it can't be used for knife handles. I should think it's only down to it not being the most exciting of woods to look at that you don't see it used very often.

I've actually got an old sledgehammer handle that'll be used to make a knife handle soon but that's more because there's a history behind the particular piece.

31-10-04, 07:36 PM

Should have thought of that! :)

I bought a stack of it years ago to make into bows - some of it was matched and pre-cut, some is still rough slabs. Turned out most of it was no good for bows anyway - I sold a couple on to archery freinds, but still have a big pile of it in the shed, and Andy wants it got rid of! The only reason he'll let me keep it around is if I turn it into chips for smoking meat over! :)

I'll have a freind of mine who makes knives look it over to see if it's any good for handles, or even other craft work...

:biggthump :thanks:

31-10-04, 07:42 PM
Have a look and see if any of it is big enough for axe handles. There might be some people here that might be interested from that area too.

31-10-04, 09:50 PM
ahhh, I could have fun making a new handle for that axe I found. The head nearly fell off when I was chopping a tree down