PDA

View Full Version : Hickory for handles?

outdoorgirl
31-10-04, 07:22 PM
Hmm... not sure if this is the right place to ask - I'm sure it will get moved if not...

Is hickory ever used for knife handles? I've not seen it listed, although I suppose that the exotics and burls are more sought after...

:thanks:

Stew
31-10-04, 07:26 PM
Yep.

Stew
31-10-04, 07:29 PM
You want more? Ok.

Well it's used to make superior axe and hammer handles.There's no reason why it can't be used for knife handles. I should think it's only down to it not being the most exciting of woods to look at that you don't see it used very often.

http://www.ontarioknife.com/oldhickory.html

I've actually got an old sledgehammer handle that'll be used to make a knife handle soon but that's more because there's a history behind the particular piece.

outdoorgirl
31-10-04, 07:36 PM
<Doh!>

Should have thought of that! :)

I bought a stack of it years ago to make into bows - some of it was matched and pre-cut, some is still rough slabs. Turned out most of it was no good for bows anyway - I sold a couple on to archery freinds, but still have a big pile of it in the shed, and Andy wants it got rid of! The only reason he'll let me keep it around is if I turn it into chips for smoking meat over! :)

I'll have a freind of mine who makes knives look it over to see if it's any good for handles, or even other craft work...

:biggthump :thanks:

Stew
31-10-04, 07:42 PM
Have a look and see if any of it is big enough for axe handles. There might be some people here that might be interested from that area too.

Andy
31-10-04, 09:50 PM
ahhh, I could have fun making a new handle for that axe I found. The head nearly fell off when I was chopping a tree down