PDA

View Full Version : Native and Native4

skippydm
02-01-09, 06:01 PM
As promised in the Spyderco thread the comparison pictures (not the greatest photographer so forgive the pictures).

Firstly a closed topside shot, the Carbon fibre is silky smooth which just feels right with the smooth sleek lines.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn56/skippy2309/Natives/30122008890.jpg

Back side showing Clips
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn56/skippy2309/Natives/30122008891.jpg

The Native4's clip can be put on either side and set to tip up/down carry. Also looks more refined IMHO although its a little stiff.

The pair open, the different grinds are evident here, also the smoother lines are clearer no hot spots what so ever. the point on the original was annoying at times.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn56/skippy2309/Natives/30122008892.jpg

Both standing, the 4 has no jimping (is that the right term) on the spine and no dent in the lock. The actual groove for your thumb to release the lock is smaller but does not cause any issues to unlock it.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn56/skippy2309/Natives/30122008894.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn56/skippy2309/Natives/30122008895.jpg

The 4 is also thinner and a lot more refined than you may think
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn56/skippy2309/Natives/30122008896.jpg

I would say 1-2mm thinner at the back and about 0.5-1mm thinner in the blade don't seem like much but it makes all the difference.

This knife is almost perfect... almost as I would like an S30v blade but I can live with VG10. The lines and fit and finish on this are amazing, as Danzo has admitted this has raised the bar as its better than the first Native :D

Thanks again to Sal for making this knife and to Charity for getting it to me in time for Xmas

651bobby
02-01-09, 06:08 PM
great review thanks.

I guess it is probably done to preserve the slick look and feel of the N4 however I really wish that they had of left the indent and the jimping on the spine, in fact I wish the jimping was extended onto the body of the handle, especially consider the CF is smoother.

however these are minor point considering it is a beauty of a knife.

skippydm
02-01-09, 06:14 PM
great review thanks.

I guess it is probably done to preserve the slick look and feel of the N4 however I really wish that they had of left the indent and the jimping on the spine, in fact I wish the jimping was extended onto the body of the handle, especially consider the CF is smoother.

however these are minor point considering it is a beauty of a knife.

Thats something i would of liked some jimping on the spine, but there is some in the Choil but you still need some in the back.

sal
02-01-09, 06:35 PM
Hi Skippy,

Thanx for the review and great pics.

We will probably add jimping on the spine to the USA FRN version in addition to jimping on the finger choil.

sal

Quickbeam
02-01-09, 07:00 PM
There is one major flaw with the Native 4.

Its so nice that I'm struggling to bring myself to use it. I just want to keep it in mint condition - almost the perfect small folder.

I'm glad its VG10, I much prefer it over s30v. Congratulations to all who worked the project.

Regards

Nick

skippydm
02-01-09, 07:44 PM
There is one major flaw with the Native 4.

Its so nice that I'm struggling to bring myself to use it. I just want to keep it in mint condition - almost the perfect small folder.

I'm glad its VG10, I much prefer it over s30v. Congratulations to all who worked the project.

Regards

Nick

:lol: so thats the one flaw you were speaking of...

Sal any chance of the native4 as a slip joint?

Danzo
02-01-09, 08:34 PM
Good pics Skippy.

If there's enough decent light tomorrow I'll add some pics of my little tribe.

Danzo

sal
02-01-09, 08:42 PM
We're working on an FRN version based on the same pattern.

We are also working on a DE version of the Native that will be similar to the DK version of the UK.

I imagine we could make a "Notch-joint" version. Do you think there would be any interest in such a model?

sal

skippydm
02-01-09, 08:44 PM
I imagine we could make a "Notch-joint" version. Do you think there would be any interest in such a model?

sal

If its a slip joint like the UKPK, yes there will be interest :D I want one and i know a few others have said about it. I much prefer the lines of the native to the UKPK

Danzo
02-01-09, 09:12 PM

sal

If that's UK legal then I'd say a resounding YES, but then you know I'd say that Sal!

:D

As to enough to sell? Well I reckon that you'd do at least as well as with the UKPK.

The visually slimmer blade profile certainly makes the Native that bit more acceptable in my eyes, even if in reality the blades are pretty much the same size. To me, and to many NKP I've spoken to, it's the visual line from the spine down through the blade that makes the blade on the Native look slimmer and hence less threatening than that of the UKPK.

A Tenacious quality, Chinese made, UK legal Native 4, available with a range of coloured FRN handles would be something I think would sell very well.

Albeit in the context of what 'sells very well' actually means to you Sal.

Danzo

Castillo
02-01-09, 11:29 PM
A resounding yes from me for a slippie Native IV.

ChrisR
03-01-09, 03:29 AM
Sounds a fantastic idea ... a UK EDC Native 4 with CF scales?!
Just tell me when and where I can buy one :D

Danzo
03-01-09, 01:48 PM
Here's a few pics of my Natives, in order, left to right:

Native I
Native I (black blade)
Native I (pink handle)
Native II
Native III
Native IV

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/SharpDan/DansPhonePics1656.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/SharpDan/DansPhonePics1657.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/SharpDan/DansPhonePics1655.jpg

Danzo

ChrisR
03-01-09, 04:49 PM
Very nice ... but do you really *need* 6 of them? :rolleyes:

:D

Danzo
03-01-09, 04:54 PM
Very nice ... but do you really *need* 6 of them?

Yes.

:rolleyes:

Danzo

Noddy
03-01-09, 05:03 PM
Thanks for all the lovely pics. It is a beaut! Just rummaging about for things to sell now :D

No chance of an 'in-hand' shot is there, anyone?

Corso
03-01-09, 05:08 PM
UK EDC Native 4 with CF scales where do i sign up :D

HPFlashman
03-01-09, 05:34 PM
No chance of an 'in-hand' shot is there, anyone?

+ 1, just for the heck of it.

Is it directly comparable to the UKPK size ??

Danzo
03-01-09, 05:38 PM
+ 1, just for the heck of it.

Is it directly comparable to the UKPK size ??

Almost exactly. The Native is perhaps 1mm shorter overall.

In hand shot coming up for Noddy. Sorry for the quality, phonecam doesn't like indoor lighting:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/SharpDan/DansPhonePics1662.jpg

Danzo

ChrisR
03-01-09, 05:53 PM
Looks great ... I always like a bit of whatjamacallit on the back of the blade - like on the Buck Rush. :)

skippydm
03-01-09, 09:00 PM
I think I need a black blade version and another S30v one.... to keep for best :P and of course the FRN4 and a Native3 and 2 :D Danzo you bleeding show off, how did you get a 2 in plain edge???? they are rare as they come....

another in hand shot showing off the CF
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn56/skippy2309/Folders/Native4/24122008871.jpg

Phil
04-01-09, 12:21 PM
We're working on an FRN version based on the same pattern.

We are also working on a DE version of the Native that will be similar to the DK version of the UK.

sal

Oh my word, YES!

:surrender: :D

Noddy
04-01-09, 12:23 PM
Thanks Danzo, Skippydm :D I am now in full posession off the facts

manofthewood
04-01-09, 12:32 PM
I've always fancied a native, buy never had the chance to get one, i think i shall put it on my list....:D

Phil
04-01-09, 12:35 PM
Nice review and displays there (my manners escaped me in the rush to say yes to Sals idea for a notch lock slippie Native!). Nice pix.

Sal.
For clarity, IMHO the Native should have been the UKPK in the first place.
It has all the ergos right, a finger choil, good looking (perhaps rare in a Spydie that's designed for use), and beats the UKPK hands down for feel and reversed cutting (again, IMO).

If you made one Sal, I would buy it anyway, but would love a "posh" version, a' la Native 4 spec, or sculpted Micarta like the Benchmade Dejavoo (rather than the one it probably makes more business sense to make! :D ).

I'd even sell my UKPKs to buy it- that how much I want one. :surrender:

skippydm
04-01-09, 01:24 PM
Nice review and displays there (my manners escaped me in the rush to say yes to Sals idea for a notch lock slippie Native!). Nice pix.

Sal.
For clarity, IMHO the Native should have been the UKPK in the first place.
It has all the ergos right, a finger choil, good looking (perhaps rare in a Spydie that's designed for use), and beats the UKPK hands down for feel and reversed cutting (again, IMO).

If you made one Sal, I would buy it anyway, but would love a "posh" version, a' la Native 4 spec, or sculpted Micarta like the Benchmade Dejavoo (rather than the one it probably makes more business sense to make! :D ).

I'd even sell my UKPKs to buy it- that how much I want one. :surrender:

I'll Second that, I would sell the UKPK in a heart beat to get a slipjointed Native...

Noddy all you need to know is you NEED one ;)

Noddy
04-01-09, 01:45 PM
Noddy all you need to know is you NEED one ;)

:lol::D and a slipjoint kopa, and a rocklobster and a wharnie urban and a ...

... but I think it is definitely the N4 next :)

Gareth
04-01-09, 01:53 PM
That is a great looking knife. If it came as a UK legal EDC then I'd have one like a shot.

Phil
04-01-09, 02:06 PM
Do you see a pattern forming here Sal?

:D :D

sal
04-01-09, 02:13 PM
I'm listening.

sal

Noddy
31-08-09, 12:44 AM
Looking forward to seeing this street legal Native Sal :) I'd have one in a second if it is just a slipjointized cf Native4 :D:D

paulm
31-08-09, 09:16 AM
[QUOTE=skippydm;1035150Sal any chance of the native4 as a slip joint?[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, just noticed this thread and was lucky enough to pick up a Native 4 off classifieds a little while ago.

It occurs to me that the lock up on this looks pretty much exactly the same as that on the Fallkniven U2 and TK4 (and probably most other knives with back locks), and that the same judicious and targeted bit of filing on the blade lug should see it equally as well modded to a slippy as the other two :D

Not sure if I'll do it though, can't decide yet :rolleyes:

Cheers, Paul :)

paulm
31-08-09, 10:39 AM
Too late to change my mind, it's done now :O :D

Took a bit more filing than the Falkies but not much and now the back spring disengages with moderate pressure on the back of the blade, much the same pressure as the UKPK or possibly very slightly less.

Well pleased, another great knife now available for legal edc that would otherwise only have been carried around the home and garden :D

Noddy
31-08-09, 02:29 PM
Coo

Well done Paul. :):D

Noddy
31-08-09, 03:58 PM
.... we need video

paulm
31-08-09, 04:10 PM
No idea how you do video's, I can barely take pics :lol:

And before you ask, I'm not disassembling it again to take pics, those little bronze washers are really fiddly :rolleyes:

Wish I had taken wip pics though, but it was a spur of a moment thing and if I'd stopped to think too hard about it I probably would have come to my senses and left my expensive, shiny knife alone :lol:

stormy
31-08-09, 05:58 PM
I love this new native i think ill have to save up,how much and where from anyone please?

Lebowski
31-08-09, 06:58 PM
I really have to stop looking at Spyderco's with carbon scales, I'm gunna have to give in and get one, eventually :D

stretch3144
31-08-09, 10:21 PM
I'd even sell my Shing slippy for a UK legal Native 4 slipjoint......

Sean H
01-09-09, 07:33 PM
Hmmm...I have a N1. Can't say I've ever much cared for it's lines, but it's part of the collection. This N4 tho...lovely. Beautiful sleek lines, MUCH better scales, and call me weirdo but I LIKE it without the jimping.
I'ma have to git me one!