PDA

View Full Version : Rivet Rivet

MotorbikeMan
24-01-05, 12:20 AM
What sort of rivets should I use for kydex, can I use the same ones I use for leather or will they not be tough enough. Also, where can I get the belt clips that I've seen on some sheaths?

PS_Bond
24-01-05, 08:46 AM
The rivets I use are either brass (chemically blacked) or the plastic speedy rivets I posted about a short while ago. Assuming the eyelets you have are pretty much the same as are in my box of bits, then there should be no problem.

As for belt clips, are you thinking of TekLoks or something else? http://www.blade-tech.com/multimedia/multimedia_2033_1056466850654.jpg

(tsk - typo)

MotorbikeMan
24-01-05, 12:44 PM
The rivets I use are either brass (chemically blacked) or the plastic speedy rivets I posted about a short while ago. Assuming the eyelets you have are pretty much the same as are in my box of bits, then there should be no problem.

As for belt clips, are you thinking of TekLoks are something else? http://www.blade-tech.com/multimedia/multimedia_2033_1056466850654.jpg
Them's the ones :) are they any good?

PS_Bond
24-01-05, 01:00 PM
Yup. Expensive, but very solid.

MotorbikeMan
24-01-05, 02:02 PM
Yup. Expensive, but very solid.
done a google and your right, thet're not cheap :O For a sheath, would a section of Kydex folded over and then under itself in a loop that slips over the belt be secure enough?

PS_Bond
24-01-05, 02:06 PM
Yes, it will - but the general trend is to use 0.090 for loops as it'll take more abuse.

MotorbikeMan
24-01-05, 02:18 PM
Yes, it will - but the general trend is to use 0.090 for loops as it'll take more abuse.
Makes sense :biggthump

Stuart Ackerman
24-01-05, 08:38 PM
OR make a laminated loop out of two 0.060 sheets, and then glue with pvc glue after shaping.

PS_Bond
24-01-05, 09:58 PM
Could do, yes - the PVC pipe cement from Screwfix works OK, THF is supposed to be a better solvent but I don't use it (in the same way as I don't use hydrofluoric acid ;) )

MotorbikeMan
24-01-05, 10:16 PM
OR make a laminated loop out of two 0.060 sheets, and then glue with pvc glue after shaping.
That's a good idea as well :biggthump

Could do, yes - the PVC pipe cement from Screwfix works OK, THF is supposed to be a better solvent but I don't use it (in the same way as I don't use hydrofluoric acid )
I wonder if the Humbrol type liquid polycement for model kits would work? Methinks some experimentation is in order

PS_Bond
24-01-05, 11:48 PM
Can't remember what solvent is in there, but I'd suggest the liquid not the gel. The gel has more plastic dissolved in it (TBH, so does the pipe cement I've used) which knackers the bond somewhat. This Bond too, if he isn't taking adequate precautions...

Stuart Ackerman
25-01-05, 12:09 AM
The Humbrol will work, but not very well, as you need a lot of it to work. so it gets pricey...experimentation might work for you, as the loop is not stressed as much as a sheath would be...