PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed re sticking a handle on a Bushie blade

stretch3144
28-08-09, 02:39 PM
Hi all,
I have spent the morning shaping and sanding a set of canvas micarta scales to go on my bushie project after I split a black palm scale last week.
I am using black fibre liners and wanted to know: should I glue them to the scales, then once dry, glue the whole lot together; or just go for it, and glue handles, liners and blade all in one go?

Hopefully I won't make too much of a screw up this time round.

wolf67
28-08-09, 02:42 PM
Just glue the lot together in one go.:)

Frase
28-08-09, 02:52 PM
I always cut the liners a bit bigger than the scales an glue them together first, but thats not say thats the right way!

Russell White
28-08-09, 02:58 PM
i glue the liners to the scales first then let them dry before sticking to blade, i dont think there is a "right" or "wrong" way just which works best for you

CaptainBeaky
28-08-09, 03:12 PM
I always glue up all at one time, like making a multi-layer sandwich, then clamp it all up together - means all the layers get the same clamping pressure, and hopefully the same glue layer thickness.

narsil
28-08-09, 03:51 PM
I tend to glue the liners on fairly early on and then treat the whole thing as a single block. In fact I usually glue the scales on while they are a little oversized and then sand down to meet the tang. The main reason for this is so that you can get the front face of the scales (where the guard would be) finished to how you want it before you glue the scales on, because its extremely difficult to work on afterward.

I also like to drill a few blind holes through the liners into the scales before gluing to give a bit more of a key to the join, but to be honest I doubt this actually makes a lot of difference.

Bazza
28-08-09, 03:55 PM
I also like to drill a few blind holes through the liners into the scales before gluing to give a bit more of a key to the join, but to be honest I doubt this actually makes a lot of difference.

I think it does make a difference, gives a little more area for the epoxy to grip.

Barry

theskenic
28-08-09, 04:02 PM
I glue the lot on together. See my post on how I made a "Bbno & crockett" knife. There are some pics of how I did it and it worked out great.

Rob J Evs
28-08-09, 05:23 PM
I like to glue the liners to the scales first :)

Just because you can get a more accurate / better finish on the front of the scales nearest the blade.

If the liners and scales are slightly out once glued it would be a nightmare to try and re-finish this area.

Just my opinion :)

Frase
28-08-09, 05:35 PM
I like to glue the liners to the scales first :)

Just because you can get a more accurate / better finish on the front of the scales nearest the blade.

If the liners and scales are slightly out once glued it would be a nightmare to try and re-finish this area.

Just my opinion :)

Yes thats why I do it makes sense now:)

theskenic
28-08-09, 05:52 PM
I finish the fronts of the scales, drilled the spacers to match the scales. Put a scale and a spacer together with the pins. Sand the front of the spacer to a good fit, then slightly enlarge the holes in the spacers. When you come to clamp it all up because the spacer holes are a loose fit you can slide the spacer about to get a perfect match at the front. then clamp tight.