PDA

View Full Version : Peasant Blade profiles

caskwith
01-09-09, 03:44 PM
Lots of talk going on with pimping peasants at the moment. I have two ready to be pimped and since i have already made one(i'll admit i rushed it slightly as i needed a new EDC pretty quickly) I can afford to take my time on these two and really create something to be proud of as well as a functional and practical EDC knife.

Im pretty certain im going to shorten the tangs a little bit to make them a bit more comfy in the pocket and slightly more compact, and Im also sure i want to change the blade profile a little bit as i did on my previous pimping. The only thing im not sure of is what shape to use.

These are a few potential shapes that can all be made from the standard peasant blade. Im putting these up for comment and for others to submit there own designs, id love to see what you can come up with, it will probably be better than my own, lol.

http://www.askwithpipes.com/otherpics/DSCF2435.JPG

stretch3144
01-09-09, 04:02 PM
3rd down on the left looks interesting.

caskwith
01-09-09, 04:05 PM
3rd down on the left looks interesting.

Thanks, thats very similar to the shape on my current Peasant. Works quite nicely actually, pretty easy to sharpen and you still have a good point which i like on a knife.

birdseye
01-09-09, 04:32 PM
Yes the third one down, if you go for the ones that remove metal from the cutting edge as in all except third and forth down you will not close the knife without the cutting edge being exposed. Hope you see what I mean.

I look forward to seeing your next one.

I am waiting for three more to come to get to work on.

caskwith
01-09-09, 04:35 PM
Yes the third one down, if you go for the ones that remove metal from the cutting edge as in all except third and forth down you will not close the knife without the cutting edge being exposed. Hope you see what I mean.

I look forward to seeing your next one.

I am waiting for three more to come to get to work on.

There is one in your thread which had material removed from the edge, i think it would be fine as long im careful with my layout and dont rmeove too much, i can also re-design the handle to suit the new blade profile. i like the idea of not having so much depth in the blade.

birdseye
01-09-09, 04:41 PM
Yes you are right. You can reposition the small pin if you are making new scales.

IJ55
01-09-09, 04:59 PM
3rd down on the left for certain. Nice and sturdy looking, and still got alot of blade. Nice.

smee
01-09-09, 05:52 PM
third on the left without a doubt.hope you dont mind i copied it so i can have a play too

Moore Leather
01-09-09, 06:30 PM
Aye +1 for the 3rd on the left

BUT

Why no "clip-point" designs, a la Buck 112/110??

Given the immense popularity of the Buck design, something similar yet EDC & Peasant based would be a winner in many ways!

Just my thoughts...

Jon

Tranid33
01-09-09, 06:36 PM
Let the original talk. You will not be sorry.

MattBlack
01-09-09, 07:04 PM
3rd one down on the left is what I did to mine, and it's working very nicely indeed.
Try a straight clip first though, along the same kind of lines, then if you don't like it you can turn it into this drop point shape after.

If it's for EDC, this shape is also the most NKP friendly IMO.

651bobby
01-09-09, 07:22 PM
3rd on down any day, that is the standard mod shaped anyway. doesn't require any regrinding or sharpening. + it is a nice strong shape, ans still provides a healthy amount of curvature.

Stew
01-09-09, 07:30 PM
Aye +1 for the 3rd on the left

BUT

Why no "clip-point" designs, a la Buck 112/110??

Given the immense popularity of the Buck design, something similar yet EDC & Peasant based would be a winner in many ways!

Just my thoughts...

Jon

I've never understood the appeal of that blade shape. Looks horrid to me.

arian
01-09-09, 07:39 PM
Oh well, I like the top two on the right :). Can't decide between the two though :rolleyes: .

arian

caskwith
04-09-09, 10:20 AM
Seems most like my original shape choice. Still I have two so i could do one of each :D

Catsnake
04-09-09, 10:42 AM
Lovely designs. Second down on the left is very Ken Onion! :) I quite like the two on the bottom row... but there all nice really.
It depends what you want really.

Not much help am I!:D