PDA

View Full Version : Kydex health dangers?



MotorbikeMan
30-04-05, 10:58 PM
While lurking through OMF, I came across this kydex tutorial (http://forums.outdoors-magazine.com/viewtopic.php?t=1911) and the last few post have got me wondering. Has anyone else heard of any health issues related to Kydex?

Stuart Ackerman
01-05-05, 05:23 AM
The dust is fine, so any paper or polystyrene mask will block it...

ZDP-189
01-05-05, 05:54 AM
Im my experience, the dust is not so fine as wood dust, and it tends to clump together. Also there doesn't seem to be a lot of fumes, so for occasional work, I don't bother with a mask.

PS_Bond
01-05-05, 06:24 AM
Don't breathe the dust. Don't burn it. Don't eat it.
(and don't get it so hot whilst forming that you get fumes - that's *too* hot).

MotorbikeMan
02-05-05, 08:11 PM
Cheers guys, it wasn't so much the dust that was a problem, but the fumes given off as you heat it up

ZDP-189
02-05-05, 09:16 PM
If you smell fumes, you may as well bin the sheath.

Stuart Ackerman
02-05-05, 10:04 PM
If you smell fumes, you may as well bin the sheath.

Exactly!!!

MotorbikeMan
02-05-05, 11:12 PM
Fair enough :D

Chiro75
26-05-05, 10:07 PM
That yummy smell is formaldehyde derivatives, so unless you want to pickle your brain I'd wear a respirator. I hate the stuff. It sticks to everything because of static electricity. I'd wear a respirator and vacuum up well, still wearing a respirator, after using it.

PS_Bond
26-05-05, 10:31 PM
...I'd wear a respirator.

...with organic filters...

Dougie
27-05-05, 12:15 PM
The following is taken from a US Health & Safety web site:

'Formaldehyde is classified as a human carcinogen and has been linked to nasal and lung cancer, and with possible links to brain cancer and leukemia. Short-term exposure to formaldehyde can be fatal. Long-term exposure to low levels of formaldehyde may cause respiratory difficulty, eczema, and sensitization.'

I actually think that providing you ensure that you have a free flowing passage of air around your workplace and infrequently use Kydex then the risks even without a mask are negligable. Certainly no worse than standing by the exhausts of diesal vehicles or for example like aircraft mashallers who breathe in kerosene fumes all day long!

I'm not advocating taking no precautions but I dont think we should all become paranoid over the issue.

Doug