PDA

View Full Version : How can I get corby bolts before Christmas?

viw9419
22-12-09, 09:27 AM
I have everything I need to make a gorgeous knife, full tang damascus blade, bolster material, liners, lovely wood for scales.

I have a brand new belt grinder, belts, files, abrasives, adhesives, time off work :O

However, I have no corby bolts, or any pins for the bolsters.

Can anyone suggest how to get them before christmas?

I am desperate :surrender:

bigkev
22-12-09, 09:42 AM
if you're a really really good boy, santa will put some in your stocking for you....
failing that i have known people to canabalise stainless coat hangers for thin pins and b+q sell brass rod and tube.....

Bugleone
22-12-09, 10:11 AM
Don't want to hi-jack the topic but this really got my attention,...are wire coat hangers REALLY made of stainless steel?........

.....PLEASE let that be true!

Bugleone
22-12-09, 10:13 AM
:surrender:

Hepotec
22-12-09, 05:29 PM
Four inch nails. They're made from mild steel. I've used 'em loads of times.

mick spain
22-12-09, 05:35 PM
Most model shops sell brass or Ali rod for pins so do B&Q You can get Bolts from Mick Wardell he has a website now set up to sell all the fixings or His Ebay shop look up bushcraft & you should find his stuff

bigkev
22-12-09, 06:43 PM
Don't want to hi-jack the topic but this really got my attention,...are wire coat hangers REALLY made of stainless steel?........

.....PLEASE let that be true!

well i am led to believe so.....
i also heard of someone chopping up a shopping trolley for the same thing, though i'd not recomend it....
they should be stainless as i cant remember seeing a rusty one in a canal....

Fiore de Liberi
22-12-09, 08:02 PM
I use brass soldering rods to make pins. I think you can find them in stainless steel and copper too.
I sent you a PM

Fra

viw9419
22-12-09, 08:48 PM
If I use brass rod, do I have to peen the end? if so how much, and how do I do it?

Stew
22-12-09, 08:56 PM
If I use brass rod, do I have to peen the end? if so how much, and how do I do it?

No, you don't have to. Most people use it as straight rod with epoxy doing the actual holding. The pins stop side stress.

If you want to peen them, check out some of Fastbreak's tutorials. He has one on peening if I remember rightly.

rocco44
22-12-09, 09:48 PM
Most model shops sell brass or Ali rod for pins so do B&Q You can get Bolts from Mick Wardell he has a website now set up to sell all the fixings or His Ebay shop look up bushcraft & you should find his stuff

M W Supplies, is micks ebay shop. He also has loveless bolts. Cheers!! :D

Tom_W
22-12-09, 09:53 PM
Dear desperate

If you send me your addy by PM I will send you 2 corby's - but I cannot send a step drill as I only have 1 so unless you have a step drill I would go for loveless from Mick....

Fiore de Liberi
23-12-09, 01:23 AM
You can make it with good wood too filing it while spinning into your drill (as a lathe). If you make large ones you can inlay it. You can glue it with wood glue and it bonds really strong (I tried)

Another pm sent

RIKARDPHOTO
23-12-09, 01:29 AM
See thats what i like about this place - People are SO nice - Tom W, You're a true gent, helping a fellow maker out - I tip my hat (and yes, I am wearing one)

Regarding pins, i never peen mine, they are only for the sidewerts stress...
And I've used a loot of dirrerent thins, incl welder-electrode, nails and whatever was around...

happy hunting!

hiho
23-12-09, 02:18 AM
well i am led to believe so.....
i also heard of someone chopping up a shopping trolley for the same thing, though i'd not recomend it....
they should be stainless as i cant remember seeing a rusty one in a canal....

there made from aluminium.... or the 3 in the yard at work are

Stew
23-12-09, 08:32 AM
there made from aluminium.... or the 3 in the yard at work are

Sorry mate but that's tosh. There's no way that shopping trolleys are aluminium.

Leonidas
23-12-09, 08:42 AM
Is as very easy and certainly cheaper to use brass rod or even tube, also no step drill is required ;)

For a little extra grip turn the rod on the corner edge of your grinding wheel so it creates a small groove all the way around the rods circumference.
If you do this 3 or4 times along the length of the rod that will be beneath the finished handles surface it will give just that little extra keying for the epoxy glue.

Hope this helps :)
Tom

silverpete
23-12-09, 08:54 AM
Is as very easy and certainly cheaper to use brass rod or even tube, also no step drill is required ;)

For a little extra grip turn the rod on the corner edge of your grinding wheel so it creates a small groove all the way around the rods circumference.
If you do this 3 or4 times along the length of the rod that will be beneath the finished handles surface it will give just that little extra keying for the epoxy glue.

Hope this helps :)
Tom

:D What a great idea Tom well done :D

Peter

Bugleone
23-12-09, 08:55 AM
No, supermarket trolleys are NOT made of stainless unfortuntely, although there are sometimes some small stainless components, notably the cleats that hold the basket to the frame. The trolleys are very well made and the steel is a 'high quality' mild steel which is protected by at least two different coatings.

viw9419
24-12-09, 01:50 AM
Dear desperate

If you send me your addy by PM I will send you 2 corby's - but I cannot send a step drill as I only have 1 so unless you have a step drill I would go for loveless from Mick....

Top man, cannot fault you.