PDA

View Full Version : large Handle block source...

squidders
22-05-05, 12:23 PM
In my hunt for a new handle material for my MOD golok I think I have found the wood... desert ironwood.

Only problem is that all the places I found that sell the stuff, sell it in 45x30x115mm blocks and I really need a block 45x30x145mm :C

I have tried Brisa and even e-mailed them, they said they get their wood pre cut so can't do it.

Any thoughts would be great or i'm going to have to go with something else.

Cheers

Joe

Basemetal
22-05-05, 12:28 PM
Check out Axminster -Maybe not Desert IronWood (there's rumoured to be a shortage) but their (Axminsters) turning woods are in much bigger blocks and very cheap. Check out Bubinga, Imboya, African Blackwood etc
http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?sub=229

squidders
22-05-05, 12:37 PM
I'd only seen the carving limewood at axminster... the Bubinga or Sonokeling Rosewood look nice but it's all really cheap, I may end up buying a few of each :D

Many Many Many thanks mate!

Basemetal
22-05-05, 01:02 PM
EKA use Bubinga as handles on their fixed blades -you can see them at heinnie.com
Ax is the cheapest place I've found for ebony for bolsters and trim.
IF you order from them -tell them you're looking for highly figured wood for knife handles and if they can, they'll do their best to oblige. Very helpful folks.
Danny

narsil
22-05-05, 03:06 PM
Some woods are hard to get in large blocks, ebony, boxwood, desert ironwood, simply because the trees don't tend to grow very big.

Be aware that bubinga and several other hardwoods have toxic dust so you will need to take appropriate precaution when working it.

squidders
22-05-05, 03:11 PM
Some woods are hard to get in large blocks, ebony, boxwood, desert ironwood, simply because the trees don't tend to grow very big.

Be aware that bubinga and several other hardwoods have toxic dust so you will need to take appropriate precaution when working it.

Thanks Narsil,

I notices on the Axminster site they had a warning that the wood can be an irritant when working.

Do you think that bubinga would make a suitable handle material for something as heavy and prone to smaking things as an MOD golok?

Cheers

Joe

narsil
22-05-05, 03:23 PM
Bubinga is certainly pretty hard and dense and it gets used for guitar necks so I would think that it would be plenty strong enough.

Generaly the strength of the handle material isn't too much of an issue, for full tang knives since most of the mechanical load is taken by the tang itself.

praktis
22-05-05, 04:56 PM
try looking att www.arizonaironwood.com
Robert is a really nice guy to talk to, he can usually find the stuff one is looking for.

shing
22-05-05, 07:24 PM
http://www.alphaknifesupply.com/pictures/12067-s.jpg

try here very quick delivery from th US

Ropeman
22-05-05, 07:51 PM
You could try getting a square block sold for turning (on a lathe).

Stew
22-05-05, 09:18 PM
Squidders,

If you're set on the Desert Ironwood but can't find a block long enough, how about having some bolsters added in Ebony or similar?
I think it would look very cool.

The front pin could go through the ebony or if it's not in the right position, fix the ebony and ironwood to a liner and then pin it through the ironwood and epoxy it on as usual
(I realise you're not intending to do this yourself)

squidders
22-05-05, 09:28 PM
Squidders,

If you're set on the Desert Ironwood but can't find a block long enough, how about having some bolsters added in Ebony or similar?
I think it would look very cool.

The front pin could go through the ebony or if it's not in the right position, fix the ebony and ironwood to a liner and then pin it through the ironwood and epoxy it on as usual
(I realise you're not intending to do this yourself)

That is a good idea but I'm ordering some bits from aminster as the only other woods I've seen are really expensive in comparison.

I just want to make a cheap machete into a good one... I don't think it's ever going to be great with it's basic design.

If I can do that (get that done) with reasonable costs I'll be a happy bloke indeed.

Stew
22-05-05, 09:35 PM
That's fair enough.

Just the addition of a contrasting liner can make a plain handle look a lot better.

Stuart Ackerman
22-05-05, 10:48 PM
Thought of asking Lord Farquhar? He seemd to have a largish ammount of wood for sale a while back?

Lord Farquhar
23-05-05, 08:58 AM
aye i have plenty

what do you need?

keith_beef
23-05-05, 09:10 AM
In my hunt for a new handle material for my MOD golok I think I have found the wood... desert ironwood.

Only problem is that all the places I found that sell the stuff, sell it in 45x30x115mm blocks and I really need a block 45x30x145mm :C

I have tried Brisa and even e-mailed them, they said they get their wood pre cut so can't do it.

Any thoughts would be great or i'm going to have to go with something else.

Cheers

Joe

http://craft-supplies.co.uk/

Look in On-Line shop, then Wood.
As an example, a piece of bubinga from the catalog:
Bubinga SQ 51 x 51 x 610
(square section, 51mm 51mm 610mm long) is 4.95

I didn't see Desert Ironwood, but there seems to be plenty of choice. And woods are listed alphabetically in a slightly strange way... For instance, I was looking for boxwood, and couldn't find it. I used the search facility, and it turned up as "Castello boxwood", under "C".

Phone, or go there personally to pick out a piece from the storeroom above the shop.

Keith.

Dennis H
25-05-05, 05:23 PM
Joe

I found some pieces desert ironwood in stock

50x50x150 mm
27x50x165 mm
27x55x155 mm

best regards Dennis H/ Brisa

www.brisa.fi

pennillion
18-02-06, 09:28 PM
Hi people....i just wanted to let others know that i found an e bayer who will do knife blocks in various hardwoods, Padauk, Purple Heart etc etc good deals too...look for 'Englishrose222' on e Bay uk. thought i'd tell ya as since i am a new knife man i know what its like looking for suppliers.

dtalbot
18-02-06, 10:46 PM
http://craft-supplies.co.uk/

Phone, or go there personally to pick out a piece from the storeroom above the shop.

Keith.
An excellent shop to spend a couple of hours and lots of cash in!

mikehill
18-02-06, 11:07 PM
Here's part of an order I'm waiting on from Craft Supplies

Product Description: Zebrano SQ 38 x 38 x 610 - KILN DRIED
Unit Price: 3.30

With that and another 6 pieces of other woods, the carraige only came to 3.95.

Bargain I think :)
Mike.

dtalbot
19-02-06, 09:50 AM
Yep the zebrano is really nice, the 6inch ish square by 1 inch ish thick blocks they do are good for handle slabs as well.

Edgehog
19-02-06, 06:12 PM
Yep the zebrano is really nice, the 6inch ish square by 1 inch ish thick blocks they do are good for handle slabs as well.

Possibly though IIRC bowl blanks like this often have the grain running top to bottom - ie along the shortest dimension whereas the longer turning blanks tend to have the grain running down the longest. I guess that may compromise the strenght in some ways, especially for a stick tang.

erm...I think that made sense

Stew
19-02-06, 06:16 PM
Possibly though IIRC bowl blanks like this often have the grain running top to bottom - ie along the shortest dimension

Not in my experience they don't.

In this bowl the grain is running left to right and that's how most blanks I've used are cut.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/sjlight/DSCN1370.jpg

Edgehog
20-02-06, 11:15 AM
I stand corrected, ta.