PDA

View Full Version : Leather dyes

jonarthur
24-05-05, 09:53 AM
Hello my 2mm firm handle leather hide arrived today.
Its a bit pink and need to change the colour question 1) What type of black dye? oil, acrylic plain.
2) Do the edges need edgekote? 3) Whats the best way to apply the dye.
If you want to know what its used for see my post below entitled UK Leather supplies.
Regards Jon

PS_Bond
24-05-05, 10:02 AM
Black... OK, there are a couple of options. There's a home-made dye that uses steel dissolved in vinegar, there are spirit dyes & there are oil dyes (which are basically spirit dyes with some oil dissoved in). For blacks, I tend to use the oil dyes now. I know Tiffers uses a dye that is made up from powder, but I can't remember what the solvent is.

EdgeKote is not something I like to use - I prefer to use gum trgacanth and burnish the edges.

Applying dye - dauber, sponge, airbrush or dip dye. The biggest disadvantages to dip dyeing is that you need a lot of dye (i.e. not a 4Oz bottle) and you get evaporation of the solvent. It does give a very even finish, however. A wool dauber is arguably the best bet for small runs/areas, but you need to work fast to avoid the dye streaking.

HTH

jonarthur
24-05-05, 11:51 AM
Thankyou for the reply, I intend to use products that are commercially available. Is gum trgacanth available to buy?
Regards Jon

PS_Bond
24-05-05, 12:01 PM
Gum T is fairly readily available from the usual leather suppliers; failing that, it is also used as an icing additive (amongst other things), so cake shops might be able to help.

jonarthur
24-05-05, 12:08 PM
Thankyou Peter I found it at http://www.leprevo.co.uk/index.html

Regards Jon