• Getting a grip on the Spyderco Techno.

Let's get this right out there... I love this Little Big Knife. And "little" kind of doesn't apply.
    The Techno is a Spyderco collaboration with the Polish knife maker Marcyn Slysz. I've been lusting after this one since the first prototype pics emerged after the Amsterdam meet.

My wild-eyed postie finally delivered the goods on Saturday. Interesting fellow. Another story.

Right away, in the hand, I know this is a keeper for me. The handle is short, but very stout. It sits comfortably and securely in my very big paw.
    What a difference it makes to have a little more heft, and a little more girth on a short knife.
    Add to that the edges and lumps and bumps that provide secure purchase in your grip.

The looks are all business. I've been in construction my whole life, and I can tell you, this looks and feels like a heavy-duty tool.
    The only bit of whimsey is the blue G-10 back spacer. Not exactly a giddy choice; just a nice counterpoint to the blasted ti monochrome of the rest of the knife.
    The jimping on the blade matches the pattern on the G-10... Not sharp like a file, but large and smooth and for a reason, like a gear.

My touchstone for a working EDC lately has been a Native 5. A fair bit longer in the handle. And in overall blade length.
    Actual length of the cutting edge of the blade is another matter. And kind of a surprise.
    Taking a measurement of the sharpened edge only, they are almost identical.
    2 - 7-16" for the Techno. 2 - 9/16" for the Native.

Let's throw in a couple other EDC stalwarts for comparison.

A small Insingo. (2 - 13/16" sharpened cutting edge.)

A Leaf Storm. (2-1/4" sharpened cutting edge.)

The perennial gentleman's knife: the Mnandi. The Techno is uh, different.

The Techno's full-flat grind blade is Carpenter Steel. CTS XHP. Been wanting to have a peek at that, after hearing all the chatter. I'm not a steel expert, but I know sharp-as-**** when I see it.
    This is sharp-as-****.
    It push cuts through flimsy credit card tape receipts like a laser. Not what you'd expect from a blade this thick at the fat edge. (4.5mm.) The stout blade as it appears in these pictures is not an optical illusion.
    It's a mug.

Fit and finish? I can't find a flaw or anything amiss. They seem to have hit all the markers. The edges of the G-10 and Ti are seamlessly joined. The action is just right.
    The thing locks up with a resonant thud. Just a beautiful sound. If someone on this design team was tasked with making the lockup sound and feel as good as it possibly could, they succeeded.
    You kind of have to hear and feel it to understand.

A purposeful knife if ever there was. (The purpose being an EDC with great big pills.)
    Here's one last shot...

I'll end with a metaphor:
    Don't let size fool you.
    If the Techno was a Scotsman instead of a knife, it would be this guy.
    Equating size with toughness would just get you a head-butt and a bloody nose.

This article was originally published in forum thread: Getting a grip on the Spyderco Techno. started by bayvillageidiot View original post
    Comments 7 Comments
      Le Coutographe -
      Great knife !! and I love the last picture too here's mine
      Schtu25 -
      That is one gorgeous looking knife. I bet she feels as good as she looks
      Euc.marginata -
      The mack truck of knives.
      Doorkeeper -
      Lovely knife! Wish the blue was black or silver though...
      Paul W -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doorkeeper View Post
      Lovely knife! Wish the blue was black or silver though...
      Anything but the blue.

Orange for a trendy look, carbon fibre would add a touch of class.
      Uriel -
      Damn you, sir - you've made me want one even more than I did before reading your review! My PayPal account has started to itch...

It's gotta be said too that the Taichung factory produces knives of a rather superlative fit and finish. My Gayle Bradley comes from there and it's as well put together as my Ti UKPK from Golden.
      Euc.marginata -
      Ok where do I get one?
  • Subscribe

Become a subscibing member by clicking the button below.

Subscribe
  • Sponsored Links..

• Sponsored Links...

• Recent Forum Activity

avoidspam

What EDC are you carrying today?

Thread Starter: avoidspam

Thought I'd give this a go. Sorry if it's been tried before but I quite like the version on the other side of the pond. Everyone gets a bit creative with their camera's... Plus it's a nice opportunity to see what's out there....:) Sam

Last Post By: Dr Forinor Yesterday, 10:06 PM Go to last post
    Kitman22

Your Watch,torch,knife combo (pics pls)

Thread Starter: Kitman22

Hi guys, Well I was taking some pics of some of my gear when I came across the idea for what could be a great thread full with lots of eye candy for us all to see :D How about a thread full of pic of three of our most fav things here on BB? so... what is your wrist watch, torch & knife EDC...

Last Post By: I D Howe Yesterday, 11:44 PM Go to last post
    parkman

Importing knives.

Thread Starter: parkman

The following are liable to seizure at entry into the UK: Any knife which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife, sometimes known as a "flick knife," or any knife which has a blade which is released by gravity...

Last Post By: Pete321 Yesterday, 07:10 PM Go to last post
    TallNHairyDave

Review of Longstrider's sharpening service

Thread Starter: TallNHairyDave

Just a quick write up to (a) publicly thank Longstrider for the excellent work he's done for me, and (b) recommend him to anyone on the forum who didn't know that he provides a sharpening service. I just received my gunkoted friction folder made by Deviant11 back from Longstrider and all I can...

Last Post By: Longstrider Yesterday, 07:00 PM Go to last post
    osu!

New Ganzo - Clear homage?

Thread Starter: osu!

Interesting new Ganzo Again it begs the question when is a homage a fake. Clearly branded Ganzo so hard to argue a fake. However desire clearly 'inspired' by another manufacturer. Ether way for less than 15 I am tempted! Just noticed weighs in at 205g so quite a lump.

Last Post By: 8steve88 Yesterday, 05:01 PM Go to last post
    jimmypie

The Pie-Slicer , WIP of my first knife .

Thread Starter: jimmypie

I've been a knife guy all my life , from my first two bladed SAK at the age of 7 to the age of nearly 36 , I've been in the building trade all my adult life , so you'd think that "knife guy + practical guy = I should of done this sooner" , I'm not sure what's held me back, I love tinkering around...

Last Post By: jimmypie Yesterday, 10:52 AM Go to last post
    Stew

New models - Spyderco Amsterdam Meet

Thread Starter: Stew

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet but for those who don't frequent the Spyderco forum but want to keep tabs on the new models in the pipeline.............. Amsterdam Meet 2015 report of upcoming Spyderco prototypes

Last Post By: sal Today, 04:11 AM Go to last post
    akacoach

Spyderco PITS on Massdrop

Thread Starter: akacoach

I don't want to step on anybody's toes but just wanted to let people know that the Spyderco PITS is being offered on Massdrop for $210 plus shipping maybe down to $200 plus shipping. Only 28 units though! (I'm ok cause I got my original). Not affiliated in any way just passing on the news...

Last Post By: fluffy Yesterday, 09:35 AM Go to last post
    jimmypie

The MoraKniv 511 challenge

Thread Starter: jimmypie

It seems to be customary on the BB forum to do a giveaway or competition at major milestones of membership , well somehow I've spammed my way to over 1000 posts recently so here's what I'm offering back as a bit of fun for five members of the community :) . As some may have seen in the latest...

Last Post By: mulletman6 Yesterday, 10:31 PM Go to last post
    Jamil

Blade length clarification required, if possible.

Thread Starter: Jamil

It is said to be legitimate to carry a folding pocket knife or other bladed object if the cutting edge of its blade is less than 3" long. Suppose that a penknife blade has a curved cutting edge. Is the length in question the length of the curve following along the edge of the blade(1), or the...

Last Post By: earthman Yesterday, 08:05 PM Go to last post
  • Alexa

Review britishblades.com on alexa.com