• Getting a grip on the Spyderco Techno.

Let's get this right out there... I love this Little Big Knife. And "little" kind of doesn't apply.
    The Techno is a Spyderco collaboration with the Polish knife maker Marcyn Slysz. I've been lusting after this one since the first prototype pics emerged after the Amsterdam meet.

My wild-eyed postie finally delivered the goods on Saturday. Interesting fellow. Another story.

Right away, in the hand, I know this is a keeper for me. The handle is short, but very stout. It sits comfortably and securely in my very big paw.
    What a difference it makes to have a little more heft, and a little more girth on a short knife.
    Add to that the edges and lumps and bumps that provide secure purchase in your grip.

The looks are all business. I've been in construction my whole life, and I can tell you, this looks and feels like a heavy-duty tool.
    The only bit of whimsey is the blue G-10 back spacer. Not exactly a giddy choice; just a nice counterpoint to the blasted ti monochrome of the rest of the knife.
    The jimping on the blade matches the pattern on the G-10... Not sharp like a file, but large and smooth and for a reason, like a gear.

My touchstone for a working EDC lately has been a Native 5. A fair bit longer in the handle. And in overall blade length.
    Actual length of the cutting edge of the blade is another matter. And kind of a surprise.
    Taking a measurement of the sharpened edge only, they are almost identical.
    2 - 7-16" for the Techno. 2 - 9/16" for the Native.

Let's throw in a couple other EDC stalwarts for comparison.

A small Insingo. (2 - 13/16" sharpened cutting edge.)

A Leaf Storm. (2-1/4" sharpened cutting edge.)

The perennial gentleman's knife: the Mnandi. The Techno is uh, different.

The Techno's full-flat grind blade is Carpenter Steel. CTS XHP. Been wanting to have a peek at that, after hearing all the chatter. I'm not a steel expert, but I know sharp-as-**** when I see it.
    This is sharp-as-****.
    It push cuts through flimsy credit card tape receipts like a laser. Not what you'd expect from a blade this thick at the fat edge. (4.5mm.) The stout blade as it appears in these pictures is not an optical illusion.
    It's a mug.

Fit and finish? I can't find a flaw or anything amiss. They seem to have hit all the markers. The edges of the G-10 and Ti are seamlessly joined. The action is just right.
    The thing locks up with a resonant thud. Just a beautiful sound. If someone on this design team was tasked with making the lockup sound and feel as good as it possibly could, they succeeded.
    You kind of have to hear and feel it to understand.

A purposeful knife if ever there was. (The purpose being an EDC with great big pills.)
    Here's one last shot...

I'll end with a metaphor:
    Don't let size fool you.
    If the Techno was a Scotsman instead of a knife, it would be this guy.
    Equating size with toughness would just get you a head-butt and a bloody nose.

This article was originally published in forum thread: Getting a grip on the Spyderco Techno. started by bayvillageidiot View original post
    Comments 7 Comments
      Le Coutographe -
      Great knife !! and I love the last picture too here's mine
      Schtu25 -
      That is one gorgeous looking knife. I bet she feels as good as she looks
      Euc.marginata -
      The mack truck of knives.
      Doorkeeper -
      Lovely knife! Wish the blue was black or silver though...
      Paul W -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doorkeeper View Post
      Lovely knife! Wish the blue was black or silver though...
      Anything but the blue.

Orange for a trendy look, carbon fibre would add a touch of class.
      Uriel -
      Damn you, sir - you've made me want one even more than I did before reading your review! My PayPal account has started to itch...

It's gotta be said too that the Taichung factory produces knives of a rather superlative fit and finish. My Gayle Bradley comes from there and it's as well put together as my Ti UKPK from Golden.
      Euc.marginata -
      Ok where do I get one?
  • Subscribe

Become a subscibing member by clicking the button below.

Subscribe
  • Sponsored Links..

• Sponsored Links...

• Recent CMS

edgeobserver

Spyderco Southard Flipper review

I really like the Southard. The only thing I don't like is the sound it makes when you close the... Go to last post

edgeobserver Today 03:30 AM
  • Recent Forum Activity

Albert E

Birds,bugs etc,around us!!

Thread Starter: Albert E

Hi!!We all see and sometimes take pictures of animals around our house,or during our travel vacations!!Here some!!Maybe you have a few from your area too!! A mantis in my garden.

Last Post By: Albert E Yesterday, 11:21 PM Go to last post
    avoidspam

What EDC are you carrying today?

Thread Starter: avoidspam

Thought I'd give this a go. Sorry if it's been tried before but I quite like the version on the other side of the pond. Everyone gets a bit creative with their camera's... Plus it's a nice opportunity to see what's out there....:) Sam

Last Post By: hughtrimble Yesterday, 08:38 PM Go to last post
    Ross

Ask-A-Cop, knives and related issues

Thread Starter: Ross

Hi folks, after speaking with Martyn & Danzo about this thread, we've decided to go ahead with it. I'm a cop based in Edinburgh. Some law does vary between England and Scotland but the knife laws are the same so I should be pretty much on track with my answers. I will try and offer my thoughts on...

Last Post By: james. Yesterday, 08:28 PM Go to last post
    Nice65

A Quiet Corner for Testing Links and Pics

Thread Starter: Nice65

Recommend a Torch Checklist: (Don't worry about all the questions, just the ones you feel strongly about!) Please mark "x" inside the to indicate your choice. 1: Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for? 2: Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind...

Last Post By: dannyboy87 Yesterday, 07:50 PM Go to last post
    Supa

Show Off Your Bikes!

Thread Starter: Supa

I see a lot of 4x4's and motorbike threads on here but not many for the 2 wheeled pedaly variety so here's my brace of 2 wheelers.. My custom DB Peak 29er. She's ugly, she's a brute but she can take a bashing and hasn't bronken in a way I couldn't fix with some allen keys and a hammer! ...

Last Post By: spankone Yesterday, 08:40 AM Go to last post
    AbooPham

ABOO workshop knives

Thread Starter: AbooPham

Hi everybody, My name is Aboo Pham, I am from Vietnam. I want to create a new topic that contain my all handmade knives, i will updated a process usualy. I like traditional knives and materials. Here are some knives i made. Hope you like it. :) Seax:

Last Post By: tomancik Today, 05:52 AM Go to last post
    Simon G

3 inches/76 mm, where?

Thread Starter: Simon G

Chatting with a mate, he believes the 3 inch/76 mm measurement is blade length, however, I seem to remember somewhere being told that the length measurement refers to the the cutting edge. :dunno: Anyone able to shed any light? Regards, Simon.

Last Post By: Kitty Today, 02:48 AM Go to last post
    alphaburner

.22 lr advice

Thread Starter: alphaburner

Right all, I currently have 3 guns. .308 for Sika and Fallow, O/U for pigeon and walked up game and currently a .17hmr for rabbits. I'm getting very little shooting in with the .17 and have decided to change. I have had several .22 air rifles but I think I'm going to go for a .22lr. So I'm looking...

Last Post By: alphaburner Yesterday, 05:44 PM Go to last post
    one_rod

Making a small anvil. (Lots of pictures)

Thread Starter: one_rod

First, blag a bit of railway rail from a very generous, fellow BB member (thanks Adrian!). :biggthump There is an anvil in there somewhere; How you choose to "reveal the form" is up to you, sawing, grinding, machining will all work.

Last Post By: John D Today, 01:08 AM Go to last post
    Stuart Mitchell

It has all been done...

Thread Starter: Stuart Mitchell

As we know it is now 'fact' that every knife has been designed already... :] So what do you do, it is a consideration that did worry me, until I had a eureka moment, we don't need to design new knives, we need to take an existing one and stick an X on it... To that end... I give you...

Last Post By: roestalker270 Yesterday, 08:17 PM Go to last post
  • Alexa

Review britishblades.com on alexa.com