• Getting a grip on the Spyderco Techno.

Let's get this right out there... I love this Little Big Knife. And "little" kind of doesn't apply.
    The Techno is a Spyderco collaboration with the Polish knife maker Marcyn Slysz. I've been lusting after this one since the first prototype pics emerged after the Amsterdam meet.

My wild-eyed postie finally delivered the goods on Saturday. Interesting fellow. Another story.

Right away, in the hand, I know this is a keeper for me. The handle is short, but very stout. It sits comfortably and securely in my very big paw.
    What a difference it makes to have a little more heft, and a little more girth on a short knife.
    Add to that the edges and lumps and bumps that provide secure purchase in your grip.

The looks are all business. I've been in construction my whole life, and I can tell you, this looks and feels like a heavy-duty tool.
    The only bit of whimsey is the blue G-10 back spacer. Not exactly a giddy choice; just a nice counterpoint to the blasted ti monochrome of the rest of the knife.
    The jimping on the blade matches the pattern on the G-10... Not sharp like a file, but large and smooth and for a reason, like a gear.

My touchstone for a working EDC lately has been a Native 5. A fair bit longer in the handle. And in overall blade length.
    Actual length of the cutting edge of the blade is another matter. And kind of a surprise.
    Taking a measurement of the sharpened edge only, they are almost identical.
    2 - 7-16" for the Techno. 2 - 9/16" for the Native.

Let's throw in a couple other EDC stalwarts for comparison.

A small Insingo. (2 - 13/16" sharpened cutting edge.)

A Leaf Storm. (2-1/4" sharpened cutting edge.)

The perennial gentleman's knife: the Mnandi. The Techno is uh, different.

The Techno's full-flat grind blade is Carpenter Steel. CTS XHP. Been wanting to have a peek at that, after hearing all the chatter. I'm not a steel expert, but I know sharp-as-**** when I see it.
    This is sharp-as-****.
    It push cuts through flimsy credit card tape receipts like a laser. Not what you'd expect from a blade this thick at the fat edge. (4.5mm.) The stout blade as it appears in these pictures is not an optical illusion.
    It's a mug.

Fit and finish? I can't find a flaw or anything amiss. They seem to have hit all the markers. The edges of the G-10 and Ti are seamlessly joined. The action is just right.
    The thing locks up with a resonant thud. Just a beautiful sound. If someone on this design team was tasked with making the lockup sound and feel as good as it possibly could, they succeeded.
    You kind of have to hear and feel it to understand.

A purposeful knife if ever there was. (The purpose being an EDC with great big pills.)
    Here's one last shot...

I'll end with a metaphor:
    Don't let size fool you.
    If the Techno was a Scotsman instead of a knife, it would be this guy.
    Equating size with toughness would just get you a head-butt and a bloody nose.

This article was originally published in forum thread: Getting a grip on the Spyderco Techno. started by bayvillageidiot View original post
    Comments 7 Comments
      Le Coutographe -
      Great knife !! and I love the last picture too here's mine
      Schtu25 -
      That is one gorgeous looking knife. I bet she feels as good as she looks
      Euc.marginata -
      The mack truck of knives.
      Doorkeeper -
      Lovely knife! Wish the blue was black or silver though...
      Paul W -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doorkeeper View Post
      Lovely knife! Wish the blue was black or silver though...
      Anything but the blue.

Orange for a trendy look, carbon fibre would add a touch of class.
      Uriel -
      Damn you, sir - you've made me want one even more than I did before reading your review! My PayPal account has started to itch...

It's gotta be said too that the Taichung factory produces knives of a rather superlative fit and finish. My Gayle Bradley comes from there and it's as well put together as my Ti UKPK from Golden.
      Euc.marginata -
      Ok where do I get one?
  • Subscribe

Become a subscibing member by clicking the button below.

Subscribe
  • Sponsored Links..

• Sponsored Links...

• Recent Forum Activity

avoidspam

What EDC are you carrying today?

Thread Starter: avoidspam

Thought I'd give this a go. Sorry if it's been tried before but I quite like the version on the other side of the pond. Everyone gets a bit creative with their camera's... Plus it's a nice opportunity to see what's out there....:) Sam

Last Post By: Asator Yesterday, 09:28 PM Go to last post
    Albert E

Birds,bugs etc,around us!!

Thread Starter: Albert E

Hi!!We all see and sometimes take pictures of animals around our house,or during our travel vacations!!Here some!!Maybe you have a few from your area too!! A mantis in my garden.

Last Post By: Albert E Yesterday, 12:43 PM Go to last post
    Roman Blaha

Knives from the workshop of Roman Blaha

Thread Starter: Roman Blaha

Hello, my name is Roman Blaha. I'm from the Czech Republic. From the town of Znojmo in the heart of beautiful South Moravia. Please excuse my English is not very good. I make knives for two years. From my own damask steel. I would like to share with you the joy of them. Here are some...

Last Post By: Wrangler Yesterday, 09:44 AM Go to last post
    Donbot

What Did You Order Today?

Thread Starter: Donbot

I'll start off. Well HH got the SR1 back in so i just ordered my first Lion Steel and in sexy orange too! Woohoo, always loved the look of this one. This has to be my last knife for 6 months. Its getting ridiculous now! I justified this one by telling myself it's a Christmas present to...

Last Post By: Istapp19 Yesterday, 09:36 PM Go to last post
    EdgePal

Amazing Viking knives!!!

Thread Starter: EdgePal

This is something extra at least for me. I found a man here in Sweden, he is 26 years old and he have make knifes for about 1,5 years now. His name is Edvin. Edvin is an archeologist and he make replicas of old Viking and dark ages knifes, you se some pictures of his knifes below. It is...

Last Post By: Edvin Yesterday, 03:49 PM Go to last post
    watervole1

Cold steel Trail Tomahawk mods

Thread Starter: watervole1

I have fancied getting a tomahawk for a while, but can't afford the handmade ones, unfortunately. I have read a few good things recently about the relatively inexpensive (over here in the UK) Cold Steel Trail Tomahawk and so I decided to buy one, and see what I can do to improve it. So, I don't...

Last Post By: tomancik Yesterday, 04:55 PM Go to last post
    RaptureRaptor

File/Rasp KITH

Thread Starter: RaptureRaptor

Howdy all I've always been enamoured with the idea of being part of a KITH but it doesn't seem that there are any at the mo'. So with that in mind I have decided to put forward a simple KITH idea to see if anyone's as keen as I am for a KITH. The rules as I figure them should be fairly...

Last Post By: pieinthesky Yesterday, 09:27 PM Go to last post
    suingab

Custom Made Knife Scales. Pictures Here!

Thread Starter: suingab

Hi ALL! I`m making custom scales for stock knives (from G10, Micarta, Wood, Carbon Fiber, C-Tek, Kirinite) Now I`m able to make scales for these knives Spyderco: Military, Paramilitary2, Endura4, Delica4, Stretch, Persistence, Tenacious, Resilience, UKPK older, UKPK newest (coming soon),...

Last Post By: ANDYLASER Yesterday, 05:31 PM Go to last post
    africanex

Teach me about non-lethal projectiles?

Thread Starter: africanex

In all seriousness. I have a plague of vervet monkeys that are getting beyond cheeky. pulling thatch off guest tents, stealing pepper grinders, attempting to eat them (and then dropping them in the river when they cannot) and pretty much anything else not nailed down. My list is endless. ...

Last Post By: Paul W Yesterday, 10:08 PM Go to last post
    Claire Grills

First blobby comp

Thread Starter: Claire Grills

Time's gone by and I notice that I have passed my first 500 post mark... As appears to be the custom, here is a comp to celebrate a new milestone of mindless drivel. Win a brandy new Mora 510 First Production Run fixed blade for your outdoor enjoyment (or indoor sandwich preparation as the case...

Last Post By: Paul W Yesterday, 09:34 PM Go to last post
  • Alexa

Review britishblades.com on alexa.com