• Micarta Scales - My Way

Over the last few years I have made a number of fixed blade knives by moulding home made micarta directly to the tang of the knife. I have made full tang knives bolstered knives and stick tangs, mostly successful if not perfect.

The simplest handle to make is on a full tang blade. Putting a handle on a stick tang is very similar so I will cover both these methods in this tutorial. Bolstered full tang knives I will cover later if people are interested. Bolstered stick tangs I havenít managed to make reliably yet!

I am nowhere near to perfecting the technique but how I do it is simple and reliable. I hope others will give it a go and try out some new ideas too.

Here are some of the knives I have made using this technique and while preparing this Tutorial

I will start with the actual moulding process. I will add the boring but useful details later, please read them if you are going to have a go!

This article was originally published in forum thread: Micarta Scales - My Way started by pieinthesky View original post
  • Subscribe

Become a subscibing member by clicking the button below.

Subscribe
  • Sponsored Links..

• Sponsored Links...

• Recent Forum Activity

avoidspam

What EDC are you carrying today?

Thread Starter: avoidspam

Thought I'd give this a go. Sorry if it's been tried before but I quite like the version on the other side of the pond. Everyone gets a bit creative with their camera's... Plus it's a nice opportunity to see what's out there....:) Sam

Last Post By: hughtrimble Today, 11:17 AM Go to last post
    Jedidiah

Ah, Kifaru

Thread Starter: Jedidiah

As many of us know, it's infectious. May i be the first to stand up and say 'My name is Jedidiah and i'm a Kifaru addict!' Seeing as there are many 'Ah,.......' threads concerning sharp and shineys, i thought, as i'm sure there are many other 'enthusiasts', i'd start the 'K' thread. YOU ARE NOT...

Last Post By: templogin Today, 09:29 AM Go to last post
    Celtic Dragon

Lets see your rifles?

Thread Starter: Celtic Dragon

As mine is still in the smiths (and has been for 6 weeks and no end in sight) The parts I have here are being fantasy pimped :D For those results you'll have to wait a few days. In the mean time to aliviate my suffering, lets see yours :D be it pcp, springer, rimmie or centrefire.

Last Post By: mulletman6 Today, 10:58 AM Go to last post
    Kitman22

Your Watch,torch,knife combo (pics pls)

Thread Starter: Kitman22

Hi guys, Well I was taking some pics of some of my gear when I came across the idea for what could be a great thread full with lots of eye candy for us all to see :D How about a thread full of pic of three of our most fav things here on BB? so... what is your wrist watch, torch & knife EDC...

Last Post By: Tim-Gabz Today, 06:35 AM Go to last post
    Ropeman

Let's See your 4x4s

Thread Starter: Ropeman

I started taking the 'Winterise your car' thread a little off topic with waffle about my Land Cruiser so I thought I'd start a little thread for folk to chat about their off road wagons. Here's mine, a 1988 Toyota HJ60. 4.0 litre straight six Diesel engine, astonishingly unsophisticated...

Last Post By: san-mai-usa Today, 12:10 AM Go to last post
    Trollsky

Trollsky knives

Thread Starter: Trollsky

I will put all my works in 1 thread this time :) First one in 2013 Before After My friend gave me this bearing so i will reforge it into knife and make a movie ( I think) :)

Last Post By: ewok Yesterday, 03:22 PM Go to last post
    RaptureRaptor

File/Rasp KITH

Thread Starter: RaptureRaptor

Howdy all I've always been enamoured with the idea of being part of a KITH but it doesn't seem that there are any at the mo'. So with that in mind I have decided to put forward a simple KITH idea to see if anyone's as keen as I am for a KITH. The rules as I figure them should be fairly...

Last Post By: pieinthesky Today, 12:18 PM Go to last post
    suingab

Custom Made Knife Scales. Pictures Here!

Thread Starter: suingab

Hi ALL! I`m making custom scales for stock knives (from G10, Micarta, Wood, Carbon Fiber, C-Tek, Kirinite) Now I`m able to make scales for these knives Spyderco: Military, Paramilitary2, Endura4, Delica4, Stretch, Persistence, Tenacious, Resilience, UKPK older, UKPK newest (coming soon),...

Last Post By: Chui Yesterday, 05:23 PM Go to last post
    Phillipsted

Spyderco SlipIt Mods in Wood

Thread Starter: Phillipsted

I've been doing Spyderco Mule scales for a couple of years, and I recently got into modding Spyderco folders as well. Because of the unlined screw-based construction, the UKPK and Urban are great knives to re-scale. I generally like to work in wood, so strength and rigidity is a major issue for...

Last Post By: Phillipsted Today, 02:02 AM Go to last post
    Longstrider

Bardsters Meet-up September

Thread Starter: Longstrider

Hi guys, Having had a chat with Bardster I find that the only weekend in September that the farm would be available for us would be Sat 13 and Sun14th. I'm guess that arrival on the Friday would be OK too. Paul is too busy with a house move to do more than book a loo for us if we need it....

Last Post By: ShortNCuddlyAm Today, 12:10 AM Go to last post
  • Alexa

Review britishblades.com on alexa.com