• Micarta Scales - My Way

Over the last few years I have made a number of fixed blade knives by moulding home made micarta directly to the tang of the knife. I have made full tang knives bolstered knives and stick tangs, mostly successful if not perfect.

The simplest handle to make is on a full tang blade. Putting a handle on a stick tang is very similar so I will cover both these methods in this tutorial. Bolstered full tang knives I will cover later if people are interested. Bolstered stick tangs I havenít managed to make reliably yet!

I am nowhere near to perfecting the technique but how I do it is simple and reliable. I hope others will give it a go and try out some new ideas too.

Here are some of the knives I have made using this technique and while preparing this Tutorial

I will start with the actual moulding process. I will add the boring but useful details later, please read them if you are going to have a go!

This article was originally published in forum thread: Micarta Scales - My Way started by pieinthesky View original post
  • Subscribe

Become a subscibing member by clicking the button below.

Subscribe
  • Sponsored Links..

• Sponsored Links...

• Recent Forum Activity

avoidspam

What EDC are you carrying today?

Thread Starter: avoidspam

Thought I'd give this a go. Sorry if it's been tried before but I quite like the version on the other side of the pond. Everyone gets a bit creative with their camera's... Plus it's a nice opportunity to see what's out there....:) Sam

Last Post By: NoFair Today, 10:14 AM Go to last post
    Celtic Dragon

Lets see your rifles?

Thread Starter: Celtic Dragon

As mine is still in the smiths (and has been for 6 weeks and no end in sight) The parts I have here are being fantasy pimped :D For those results you'll have to wait a few days. In the mean time to aliviate my suffering, lets see yours :D be it pcp, springer, rimmie or centrefire.

Last Post By: johnbaz Yesterday, 04:42 PM Go to last post
    Martyn

New Members & Lurkers, Welcome...

Thread Starter: Martyn

...to BritishBlades.com forums. Dont just lurk, jump in, start a new thread and introduce yourself, the waters warm and the natives are friendly ;) :D.

Last Post By: danbow Yesterday, 09:26 PM Go to last post
    papstomahawks

Paps Tomahawks

Thread Starter: papstomahawks

Hello Everyone, Iím Pawel and Iím from Poland*. I have been checking works of local knife makers for some time and decided to show my own tomahawk projects. All I know about forging and grinding Iíve learned from my brother, Grzegorz (who has actually posted some of his damascus knives here,...

Last Post By: papstomahawks Yesterday, 07:38 PM Go to last post
    Jedidiah

MICROMESH Micro-abrasives Sales Thread 2014

Thread Starter: Jedidiah

Welcome to the windswept new Micromesh sales thread. Lots of information in this listing people but basically it is a 'new year, new thread' situation as i did last year in 2013 (and 2012, 2011, and 2010). So yeah, we've been here a while and endeavour to satisfy our customers. Custom orders,...

Last Post By: TGW89 Yesterday, 03:43 PM Go to last post
    Navaja

Secret Santa 2014

Thread Starter: Navaja

Secret Santa 2014 :cuttree: It's that time of year again :happy44: & this year I've got the job of doing the Secret Santa, much the same as previous years with this first post being an edited (2013 would be wrong) shameless copy & paste from Nicknohair last year ;). Names on the list...

Last Post By: Navaja Today, 10:51 AM Go to last post
    Ostap

Ostap Designs

Thread Starter: Ostap

Hello everybody! First of all I want to ask a moderator is it a right place for topic like this? Or should I create it in other section? If its wrong section please move it to the right. Thx! So, lets start. Like you see I'm a new user of this nice forum. My name is Ostap Hel and I'm 21 years...

Last Post By: Ostap Yesterday, 11:26 PM Go to last post
    Kenn8

Stabilized Wood Blocks - Spalted(Birch, Beech and Apple)

Thread Starter: Kenn8

Premium stabilized blocks for sale. The prize is 20£ per block and shipping is about 5£ to Europe. i will "swallow" Paypal fee The Blocks have been sanded to 120 grit and moisted for the Picture. PM me or post in thread if interested. They are approximately 4 cm wide 2.8 cm deep

Last Post By: Kenn8 Yesterday, 03:15 PM Go to last post
    bardster

A little something different.

Thread Starter: bardster

Thought I would show off a project I have just completed. It's an 8ft nylon bullwhip. I used 350ft of gutted paracord. It has three braided bellies re a steel handle and bb shot loaded core. The cover is a 16 strand four seam braid, tapering down to 4 strands. The handle is 20 strand diamond...

Last Post By: tomancik Today, 08:12 AM Go to last post
    Abyrvalg

Another Sami style knife

Thread Starter: Abyrvalg

This is just another Sami style knife I just finished. Blade is 1086 carbon steel with addition of vanadium. Hand forged by Randal Graham. 110x23x3.5 mm. Handle: masur birch and reindeer antler. Sheath: reindeer antler and leather. Decoration - Sami style antler carving. Comments,...

Last Post By: LeifAnders Today, 12:34 PM Go to last post
  • Alexa

Review britishblades.com on alexa.com