• Micarta Scales - My Way

Over the last few years I have made a number of fixed blade knives by moulding home made micarta directly to the tang of the knife. I have made full tang knives bolstered knives and stick tangs, mostly successful if not perfect.

The simplest handle to make is on a full tang blade. Putting a handle on a stick tang is very similar so I will cover both these methods in this tutorial. Bolstered full tang knives I will cover later if people are interested. Bolstered stick tangs I havenít managed to make reliably yet!

I am nowhere near to perfecting the technique but how I do it is simple and reliable. I hope others will give it a go and try out some new ideas too.

Here are some of the knives I have made using this technique and while preparing this Tutorial

I will start with the actual moulding process. I will add the boring but useful details later, please read them if you are going to have a go!

This article was originally published in forum thread: Micarta Scales - My Way started by pieinthesky View original post
  • Subscribe

Become a subscibing member by clicking the button below.

Subscribe
  • Sponsored Links..

• Sponsored Links...

• Recent Forum Activity

avoidspam

What EDC are you carrying today?

Thread Starter: avoidspam

Thought I'd give this a go. Sorry if it's been tried before but I quite like the version on the other side of the pond. Everyone gets a bit creative with their camera's... Plus it's a nice opportunity to see what's out there....:) Sam

Last Post By: fluffy Today, 04:02 PM Go to last post
    Albert E

Birds,bugs etc,around us!!

Thread Starter: Albert E

Hi!!We all see and sometimes take pictures of animals around our house,or during our travel vacations!!Here some!!Maybe you have a few from your area too!! A mantis in my garden.

Last Post By: Albert E Today, 03:04 AM Go to last post
    Danzo

Ah, Sebenza!

Thread Starter: Danzo

Hi folks For those of you from South Africa this is not going to be a celebration of my job, nor even of work in general, but just a few comments about my knife made by Chris Reeve. Because for those who didn't know, 'Sebenza' translates as 'work' in an indigenous tongue. I'm not going to...

Last Post By: Bullseye Yesterday, 06:30 PM Go to last post
    singteck

Show your pens

Thread Starter: singteck

I love pens ...... as much as knives and lighters :D Just received this one 2 days ago and I love it. What pen do you use? Show time! singteck :D EDIT: And this is my second spot!!!!

Last Post By: Wrangler Today, 03:57 PM Go to last post
    mark.177

pricing knives...

Thread Starter: mark.177

just had an enquiry for a custom knife made to specification. it is one i already have made but its not for sale so will have to make another from scratch, my quote was £125 plus postage. the response i got was out rage asking why i can sell my other (older knives) for £75 but charge nearly twice...

Last Post By: frankysmit Yesterday, 11:58 PM Go to last post
    Stuart Mitchell

A sailing knife...

Thread Starter: Stuart Mitchell

A while ago I was contacted by a young chap who had just skippered a crew in a round the world yacht race, made up with himself and wanting to celebrate he decided to buy himself a gift, a knife... We chatted for a while concerning his design and needs/wants etc and niggling in the back of my...

Last Post By: Chainsaw Today, 11:15 AM Go to last post
    Varyag

Ganzo Touch Pro/Ganzo Touch Pro Ultra has anyone tried it?

Thread Starter: Varyag

In the good old Chinese fashion, they found something that works and then made it cheaper. This tool by Ganzo is a copy of the Edge Apex Pro. It comes in two versions and goes for the ridiculous price of 40 euro for the "Ultra version" if my currency coverter is correct. The only reviews I've...

Last Post By: subwoofer Today, 02:41 PM Go to last post
    Jpshaver

Quality UK legal EDC

Thread Starter: Jpshaver

Evenin' all I've seen a few threads along these lines but to bring things up to date........interested in people's views on high quality legal EDC. Don't want a multi tool, just a single blade and no specific budget at the moment as long as it's worth the money I've seen lots of...

Last Post By: Paul W Today, 09:45 AM Go to last post
    white hunter

Rockstead kei zdp

Thread Starter: white hunter

Hello, well looked at these knives long enough,and yesterday decided to buy one,it is going to be for work not to put in the cupboard and admire,its very sharp,but i am a tad worried about the sheath holding the knife secure..time will tell. Deerstalking is a hard test,blood,water,peat,stones...

Last Post By: white hunter Today, 04:31 PM Go to last post
    devon stalker

Thread Starter: devon stalker

any one use a .223 on a regular basis for longer range shooting? after a house move last year ive got my old vermin control permissions back and am in need of a long range vermin gun !im using the .25-06 at the moment ( a tikka t3 with a thumbhole stock and bedded)but thinking of something slightly...

Last Post By: devon stalker Yesterday, 07:07 PM Go to last post
  • Alexa

Review britishblades.com on alexa.com