• Micarta Scales - My Way

Over the last few years I have made a number of fixed blade knives by moulding home made micarta directly to the tang of the knife. I have made full tang knives bolstered knives and stick tangs, mostly successful if not perfect.

The simplest handle to make is on a full tang blade. Putting a handle on a stick tang is very similar so I will cover both these methods in this tutorial. Bolstered full tang knives I will cover later if people are interested. Bolstered stick tangs I havenít managed to make reliably yet!

I am nowhere near to perfecting the technique but how I do it is simple and reliable. I hope others will give it a go and try out some new ideas too.

Here are some of the knives I have made using this technique and while preparing this Tutorial

I will start with the actual moulding process. I will add the boring but useful details later, please read them if you are going to have a go!

This article was originally published in forum thread: Micarta Scales - My Way started by pieinthesky View original post
  • Subscribe

Become a subscibing member by clicking the button below.

Subscribe
  • Sponsored Links..

• Sponsored Links...

• Recent Forum Activity

avoidspam

What EDC are you carrying today?

Thread Starter: avoidspam

Thought I'd give this a go. Sorry if it's been tried before but I quite like the version on the other side of the pond. Everyone gets a bit creative with their camera's... Plus it's a nice opportunity to see what's out there....:) Sam

Last Post By: 8steve88 Today, 09:17 AM Go to last post
    killrathi

Blades...

Thread Starter: killrathi

Do your own knife with these blades... Ale blades i made from L2 steel, about 3mm thick and 60 HRC. Blades are ready to use - hardened, and sharp. You can finish them with satin or leave it and have fun from using :) NEW!!! - Traper total length: 23cm blade length: 11cm pin holes: 6mm...

Last Post By: killrathi Yesterday, 10:40 PM Go to last post
    Noddy

Para 3

Thread Starter: Noddy

A devotee of the Para 1, I hopped up and down like the Mad Monk about the Para 2, only to find myself pretty savagely disappointed by it when a first, then an improved second landed on the doormat. I often get wound up into an unreasonanble frenzy of enthusiasm about new Spydercos. I think they...

Last Post By: ceri Today, 05:40 PM Go to last post
    C.T.A.K.C

New UK legal folder from SOG

Thread Starter: C.T.A.K.C

What does everyone think about the SOG Terminus? Says its 3" blade with an unusual slip joint mechanism. Thoughts? http://www.sogknives.com/terminus-black.html

Last Post By: Nice65 Today, 07:51 PM Go to last post
    jungle_re

Not new but its been a while.............

Thread Starter: jungle_re

Thought i'd say "hi" to some old friends. The real world has been a bit busy the last few years but times are changing. Space for a decent workshop so time to dip the toe back in once set up.

Last Post By: Dr Gonzo Today, 06:42 PM Go to last post
    R31n15

Hand made knife

Thread Starter: R31n15

Hi guys. Im new to this site. It is nice to see so many knife lovers in one place. My pasion is pocket knifes and watches. I like to buy them and carry/wear them. So my long dream is to make my own knife. I know that there are many classes that offer just that but im not willing to pay 500£ for...

Last Post By: snappingturtle Today, 07:57 PM Go to last post
    WorldTraveler

Hunter dream...

Thread Starter: WorldTraveler

Hello everyone. I was not on the forum for a while, and turn to introduce one of the knives that I finished. Steel - D2 Length - 25 cm Thickness - 4.3 mm Width - 3.00 cm Hande - Walnut, antler, vulcanizer fiber ... Leather sheath You can look me up on facebook and instagram, CB Knives. Thank...

Last Post By: sorinknives Today, 05:47 PM Go to last post
    Andy

Saw advice wanted

Thread Starter: Andy

I've moved and now have a wood burning stove to feed and have bits of wood the the last owners collected (and now some scrap from some work being done across the road) Is a silky still a good option for this? I figured I'm likely to end up cutting random bits of dried and green wood in the future....

Last Post By: John56 Today, 08:29 PM Go to last post
    Dr Gonzo

Titanium Spyderco Squeak with Elmax Blade

Thread Starter: Dr Gonzo

Titanium Spyderco Squeak with Elmax Blade 66% off on Massdrop...$94.99 instead of $279.95 plus $13.00 shipping :)

Last Post By: Dr Gonzo Today, 05:49 PM Go to last post
    rabbit sniper

Gamekeeper catapults

Thread Starter: rabbit sniper

Hi chaps does anyone have any experience with orders from gamekeeper John? I ordered a catapult off him in December it said could be 4/6 week waiting time but I've still not received anything from them. I emailed a few times and finally got a reply but all it said is yes we sent a confirmation...

Last Post By: rabbit sniper Today, 10:38 AM Go to last post
  • Alexa

Review britishblades.com on alexa.com