• Micarta Scales - My Way

Over the last few years I have made a number of fixed blade knives by moulding home made micarta directly to the tang of the knife. I have made full tang knives bolstered knives and stick tangs, mostly successful if not perfect.

The simplest handle to make is on a full tang blade. Putting a handle on a stick tang is very similar so I will cover both these methods in this tutorial. Bolstered full tang knives I will cover later if people are interested. Bolstered stick tangs I havenít managed to make reliably yet!

I am nowhere near to perfecting the technique but how I do it is simple and reliable. I hope others will give it a go and try out some new ideas too.

Here are some of the knives I have made using this technique and while preparing this Tutorial

I will start with the actual moulding process. I will add the boring but useful details later, please read them if you are going to have a go!

This article was originally published in forum thread: Micarta Scales - My Way started by pieinthesky View original post
  • Subscribe

Become a subscibing member by clicking the button below.

Subscribe
  • Sponsored Links..