• EKA Swede 7 first impressions!

I got the EKA Swede 7 folder yesterday. I thought it looked nice and promising already as pictured on the EKA web site. I also received some photos of this model directly from EKA around November last year. (Before it was available for purchase). I messed up the forest photos so I just took some in the evening walking around with the knife in town. Against the law!? Well, ... up to interpretation.

After a very quick try I can only say that I will be carrying this one a lot. As the birch wood on this item is so nice I get the urge to get one more to keep this one unused for the collection. Really silly!

Have a look at the EKA web site for specifications

An attempt try to state priorities for a choosing a folding knife:

1.) Aesthetics and character
    2.) Good feel and ergonomics in my hand
    3.) Generality and ease of use in cutting
    4.) Stablility and long term durablility
    5.) Reliable and precise folding mechanism (but no need for one hand opening etc)
    6.) Good (enough) blade steel
    7.) Build quality and symmetry
    8.) Price

This will probably seem backwards to some of you, but read it like this: number three for example is very important but it will not even be evaluated if not 1.) and 2.) have been passed.

The quick conclusion is that the Swede 7 knife scores very favourably all the way through the list. No innovation, no "tactical", no other gizmos but a solid tool built on proven solutions.

The Swede 7 is a pleasure to hold and use. I have not had the time to do anything useful with it but it seems to perform really well.

Any negatives?
    At first the thick end felt awkward. I don't know if it is built like that for blade tip protection. I think I get used to it.

I am very partial to EKA knives from more than 45 years of experience I got my first EKA Swede 45 around 1970 when I was ten. It is still (one of) my favourite knives. I have only been doing knife forum reading and (folding) knife collecting since last summer. Lots of nice discoveries and knowledge to pick up but EKA remains my preference. If I continue the hobby maybe things change...

A comparison to three other EKA folders which each lent features to the new Swede 7.

Swede 38 (45) The classic Evrell legacy model, the screw assembly (although not exactly the same)
    Nordic T8 The strong full flat grind drop point + the "Nordic" checkered pattern
    Swede 8 The lock + fit and finish of modern machinery

For me this knife beats the T8 and Swede 8 for general use. Still the Swede 38 with the carbon blade is special to me.

I have the information that the handle is modeled after a Torbjörn Evrell prototype from 1969. Would be fun to see the prototype.

The knife is delivered in a simple black cardboard box, a good quality genuine brown leather sheath and a small leaflet stating the 10 year warranty. http://www.eka-knivar.se/en/warranty. I think a sheath for a folding knife is a contradiction to my "folding knife philosophy". I will not carry any folding knife in a sheath. The blade was very sharp. It does not say on the knife or on the box but I presume it is Sandvik 12C27 as the other current EKAs.

A comment on the birch wood. EKA has issued a number of models in curly birch. Don't know when that started. I have also seen Swede 88, Swede 92 with this wood. Traditionlly EKA used bubinga. I think bubinga is probably more durable. I have some marketing brouchures from mid seventies where they state that it is ok to put the bubinga knives in the dish washer if one wants. The fixed blade Nordic knives I have seen are the H8-, A10-, W11- and JoF7 modlels in birch. I just happened to walk passed a bunch of about 25 Nordic H8 birch on sale. (I traded a H8 for a T8 from MartinEden). There was great variation in wood pattern and shine. I picked up the three I liked the best. All of the others were pleasant looking, but I think you need a bit of luck to get one with really rich "personality". Just guessing.

Here is another comparison with two other EKA knives with curly birch handle; Swede 92 and Nordic H8.

Who would like to see a modernised Swede 38 / Swede 45 model in birch from EKA?

Some more photos (flickr):

By birch wood association I would like to try the Enzo Birk and Helle Dokka models. Something like a Swede, a Finn and a Norwegian and Bellman! (You need to be Swedish to get the last part). Let's see what happens.

Where to get it? A list of web options

http://www.casstrom.se/knives/folded...e-7-masur.html Here you can buy the knife with a choice of leather sheath or none.
    http://www.lamnia.fi/items.php?lang=en&pid=6543
    http://huntingfields.se/knivar/eka-s...asurbjork.html
    http://www.couteaux-eka.com/product/Swede-7%20Eka
    http://www.filofiel.com/tiendaonline...ml?language=en

This article was originally published in forum thread: EKA Swede 7 first impressions! started by soundoptics View original post
  • Subscribe

Become a subscibing member by clicking the button below.

Subscribe
  • Sponsored Links..

• Sponsored Links...

• Recent Forum Activity

avoidspam

What EDC are you carrying today?

Thread Starter: avoidspam

Thought I'd give this a go. Sorry if it's been tried before but I quite like the version on the other side of the pond. Everyone gets a bit creative with their camera's... Plus it's a nice opportunity to see what's out there....:) Sam

Last Post By: filleep Today, 09:44 PM Go to last post
    Albert E

Birds,bugs etc,around us!!

Thread Starter: Albert E

Hi!!We all see and sometimes take pictures of animals around our house,or during our travel vacations!!Here some!!Maybe you have a few from your area too!! A mantis in my garden.

Last Post By: Albert E Today, 12:18 AM Go to last post
    Ross

Ask-A-Cop, knives and related issues

Thread Starter: Ross

Hi folks, after speaking with Martyn & Danzo about this thread, we've decided to go ahead with it. I'm a cop based in Edinburgh. Some law does vary between England and Scotland but the knife laws are the same so I should be pretty much on track with my answers. I will try and offer my thoughts on...

Last Post By: Kiri Today, 01:12 AM Go to last post
    Celtic Dragon

Lets see your rifles?

Thread Starter: Celtic Dragon

As mine is still in the smiths (and has been for 6 weeks and no end in sight) The parts I have here are being fantasy pimped :D For those results you'll have to wait a few days. In the mean time to aliviate my suffering, lets see yours :D be it pcp, springer, rimmie or centrefire.

Last Post By: Burns Today, 08:24 PM Go to last post
    Donbot

What Did You Order Today?

Thread Starter: Donbot

I'll start off. Well HH got the SR1 back in so i just ordered my first Lion Steel and in sexy orange too! Woohoo, always loved the look of this one. This has to be my last knife for 6 months. Its getting ridiculous now! I justified this one by telling myself it's a Christmas present to...

Last Post By: Leeroy37 Today, 02:49 PM Go to last post
    Chui

- berlimey, Sal

Thread Starter: Chui

........now on sale, I see A good size folder, this baby's just under a foot long Despite its size, looks well proportioned, a great looker VG10 - a fave steel........personally, a c-f handle would be ultra cool

Last Post By: Burns Today, 08:17 PM Go to last post
    kawasemi

No more Woodlore??

Thread Starter: kawasemi

Is this old news...I just saw it on Ray's site? No more orders being taken for Woodlores, limited supply. http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/72-Woodlore-Knife/ :huh: K

Last Post By: JonathanD Today, 09:45 PM Go to last post
    Ostap

Ostap Designs

Thread Starter: Ostap

Hello everybody! First of all I want to ask a moderator is it a right place for topic like this? Or should I create it in other section? If its wrong section please move it to the right. Thx! So, lets start. Like you see I'm a new user of this nice forum. My name is Ostap Hel and I'm 21 years...

Last Post By: Ostap Today, 10:11 PM Go to last post
    Abyrvalg

Another Sami style knife

Thread Starter: Abyrvalg

This is just another Sami style knife I just finished. Blade is 1086 carbon steel with addition of vanadium. Hand forged by Randal Graham. 110x23x3.5 mm. Handle: masur birch and reindeer antler. Sheath: reindeer antler and leather. Decoration - Sami style antler carving. Comments,...

Last Post By: Abyrvalg Today, 12:46 AM Go to last post
    gjclayton

Using bone from the river Thames.

Thread Starter: gjclayton

Howdy all. I have worked on numerous projects over the years and always like to carefully consider the marrying of materials for my knives. I live on the thames and often go beach combing at low tide. There is an area of the bank that is littered with jaw bones, leg bones from cows and horses...

Last Post By: Essexman Today, 03:56 PM Go to last post
  • Alexa

Review britishblades.com on alexa.com