• EKA Swede 7 first impressions!

I got the EKA Swede 7 folder yesterday. I thought it looked nice and promising already as pictured on the EKA web site. I also received some photos of this model directly from EKA around November last year. (Before it was available for purchase). I messed up the forest photos so I just took some in the evening walking around with the knife in town. Against the law!? Well, ... up to interpretation.

After a very quick try I can only say that I will be carrying this one a lot. As the birch wood on this item is so nice I get the urge to get one more to keep this one unused for the collection. Really silly!

Have a look at the EKA web site for specifications

An attempt try to state priorities for a choosing a folding knife:

1.) Aesthetics and character
    2.) Good feel and ergonomics in my hand
    3.) Generality and ease of use in cutting
    4.) Stablility and long term durablility
    5.) Reliable and precise folding mechanism (but no need for one hand opening etc)
    6.) Good (enough) blade steel
    7.) Build quality and symmetry
    8.) Price

This will probably seem backwards to some of you, but read it like this: number three for example is very important but it will not even be evaluated if not 1.) and 2.) have been passed.

The quick conclusion is that the Swede 7 knife scores very favourably all the way through the list. No innovation, no "tactical", no other gizmos but a solid tool built on proven solutions.

The Swede 7 is a pleasure to hold and use. I have not had the time to do anything useful with it but it seems to perform really well.

Any negatives?
    At first the thick end felt awkward. I don't know if it is built like that for blade tip protection. I think I get used to it.

I am very partial to EKA knives from more than 45 years of experience I got my first EKA Swede 45 around 1970 when I was ten. It is still (one of) my favourite knives. I have only been doing knife forum reading and (folding) knife collecting since last summer. Lots of nice discoveries and knowledge to pick up but EKA remains my preference. If I continue the hobby maybe things change...

A comparison to three other EKA folders which each lent features to the new Swede 7.

Swede 38 (45) The classic Evrell legacy model, the screw assembly (although not exactly the same)
    Nordic T8 The strong full flat grind drop point + the "Nordic" checkered pattern
    Swede 8 The lock + fit and finish of modern machinery

For me this knife beats the T8 and Swede 8 for general use. Still the Swede 38 with the carbon blade is special to me.

I have the information that the handle is modeled after a Torbjörn Evrell prototype from 1969. Would be fun to see the prototype.

The knife is delivered in a simple black cardboard box, a good quality genuine brown leather sheath and a small leaflet stating the 10 year warranty. http://www.eka-knivar.se/en/warranty. I think a sheath for a folding knife is a contradiction to my "folding knife philosophy". I will not carry any folding knife in a sheath. The blade was very sharp. It does not say on the knife or on the box but I presume it is Sandvik 12C27 as the other current EKAs.

A comment on the birch wood. EKA has issued a number of models in curly birch. Don't know when that started. I have also seen Swede 88, Swede 92 with this wood. Traditionlly EKA used bubinga. I think bubinga is probably more durable. I have some marketing brouchures from mid seventies where they state that it is ok to put the bubinga knives in the dish washer if one wants. The fixed blade Nordic knives I have seen are the H8-, A10-, W11- and JoF7 modlels in birch. I just happened to walk passed a bunch of about 25 Nordic H8 birch on sale. (I traded a H8 for a T8 from MartinEden). There was great variation in wood pattern and shine. I picked up the three I liked the best. All of the others were pleasant looking, but I think you need a bit of luck to get one with really rich "personality". Just guessing.

Here is another comparison with two other EKA knives with curly birch handle; Swede 92 and Nordic H8.

Who would like to see a modernised Swede 38 / Swede 45 model in birch from EKA?

Some more photos (flickr):

By birch wood association I would like to try the Enzo Birk and Helle Dokka models. Something like a Swede, a Finn and a Norwegian and Bellman! (You need to be Swedish to get the last part). Let's see what happens.

Where to get it? A list of web options

http://www.casstrom.se/knives/folded...e-7-masur.html Here you can buy the knife with a choice of leather sheath or none.

This article was originally published in forum thread: EKA Swede 7 first impressions! started by soundoptics View original post
  • Subscribe

Become a subscibing member by clicking the button below.

• Sponsored Links..

• Sponsored Links...

• Recent Forum Activity

What EDC are you carrying today?

Thread Starter: avoidspam

Thought I'd give this a go. Sorry if it's been tried before but I quite like the version on the other side of the pond. Everyone gets a bit creative with their camera's... Plus it's a nice opportunity to see what's out there....:) Sam

Last Post By: oxford_guy Today, 09:35 AM Go to last post

I have a Skrama!

Thread Starter: Muskett

I have a Skrama, it arrived today. Testing will have to wait, so this is a my first impression. I really like it. Its not often when someone comes up with a design that is unusual, though something that we have been asking for for yonks but didn't quite know what we wanted. Well in the...

Last Post By: TommyD345 Today, 01:25 PM Go to last post

Victorinox farmer first thoughts

Thread Starter: Sieddy

Hi guys I got my first Victorinox Farmer and I love it! Mine has orange Alox scales which look fantastic and the whole package is nice and slim! :) And the saw is awesome for such a small thin price of metal. A couple of minor niggles are; its hard to open the blade as you have to get your nail...

Last Post By: Swordfish Today, 11:35 AM Go to last post

Extrema Ratio Task C_test

Thread Starter: martineden

Hi all, past weeks I had the chance to give a try to the knife Task C from Extrema Ratio (Italy). Here I want to show the results of my test Disclaimer: test results and scores are related to what I use a knife for. I am just an average person, with a good knowledge and experience of outdoors...

Last Post By: Blackthunder Today, 03:38 AM Go to last post

Dropped my favourite watch

Thread Starter: bagman

I traded a Glycine Combat 7 here a few more months ago, superb watch with a very clear face. It's been my main non-work watch since I received it. It's usually on an old school light grey RAF style NATO that's very soft and flexible but makes it easy to slip through the fingers. A couple...

Last Post By: bagman Today, 08:21 AM Go to last post

New chap from the Mid Wales hills

Thread Starter: Jackroadkill

Hello all, I'm Jackroadkill, from Newtown in Mid Wales. I'm just starting to learn a little about knives and have sourced some steel stock to have a go at making a blade or two. I have experience of basic bench-fitting and workshop toolmaking and many moons ago, back in my youth, I had a summer...

Last Post By: jondoe Yesterday, 10:58 PM Go to last post

Logo etching

Thread Starter: camperman

I'm etching my first blades with my new logo using an etch o matic. The etch is quite deep and has a brown colour. I neutralised it right after etching. Can I... A. Get a black etch from the start? B. Get a neutral etch? C. Colour the etch I have in some way? My first tests seemed to...

Last Post By: camperman Today, 10:19 AM Go to last post

Quick one on 139 and what a lock knife is

Thread Starter: minds_eye

Last night, I was browsing the web, looking for the date that lock knives were deemed to be classed as non-folding. In the midst of my search, I came across a site which states the following, re the definition of a lock knife: "Section 139 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 aptly describes the...

Last Post By: Basemetal Yesterday, 05:51 PM Go to last post
    Dr Gonzo

OTTER Mercator

Thread Starter: Dr Gonzo

OTTER Mercator available in the UK from EDC Gear UK :)

Last Post By: RBR Yesterday, 08:06 PM Go to last post

knifeless LM?

Thread Starter: oxford_guy

I have a question about the Leatherman Knifeless Rebar - could you get into trouble in the UK over the locking awl and/or saw still? Or even the scissors, as they lock out too. I currently have a Knifeless Fuse, which has neither awl nor saw (though does have scissors that lock out), but was...

Last Post By: earthman Today, 11:09 AM Go to last post
  • Alexa

Review britishblades.com on alexa.com