• Swiza D04

Disclaimer: I paid for this with my own money.

Following on from http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...ic-Swiss-knife I had one turn up this morning.

I comes in a little plastic box, nothing else (not that you need anything else but sometimes a bit of paper adds to the feel of quality. maybe.)

The scales are rubber. At first this feels a bit odd as all my other Swiss knives are either red plastic or aluminium. However, get used to it and it feels ok; a bit different but then I don't want a box of knifes all the same.

The blade is a decent size and nice and sharp out of the box.
    Rather than a nail nick it has a slot but the can opener means you cannot get at it from both sides.
    On the ricasso it says "Swiss Made" on one side and "A16-112" on the other. Heinnies advert says its 440 steel.
    It's a locker, something I hadn't realised when I bought it and to release it you press the cross; I found this (admitttedly easily) by trial and error as there's no instructions. when locked there is a little bit of play backwards and forwards by it's also held by the backspring so you'd only really notice that if you were looking for it and it doesn't affect usage. There's no discernable sideways play. Closing, it's a bit firmer than other lockers due to the backspring. I wonder if it actually needs a lock and whether Swiza will produce a "UK friendly version" ?
    When opened the handle/blade have a curve to them compared to my SAK camper (see photo at the bottom of the post). Again it's not good or bad, just a bit different.
    In the hand it feels fairly comfortable although the slight curve means the other tools sit prouder than they do on a SAK. The rubber scales actually give it a comfortable feel.

The other tools are what you'd expect to find: Can opener, bottle opener, screwdrivers, awl, tweezers. The model I bought has a philips screwdriver but there is one with a corkscrew. All the tools seem to be reasonable but only time will tell (especially the philips).

Price wise it's comparable with similar offerings from Victorinox and it feels of similar quality. The "let down" if there is one, is the lock; I can see a lot of people giving it a swerve simply because it's not UK carryable without a reason.

Overall, it's a keeper because it's different, but useable. Would I buy another ? No, I would (will) probably look at a Victorinox EvoGrip (if only they'd do it in different colours).

Comparison pic:
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Swiza D04 review started by himself View original post
    Comments 8 Comments
      BorderReiver -
      Thank you for that, it's good to have a straight forward, warts and all review.
      himself -
      Quote Originally Posted by BorderReiver View Post
      Thank you for that, it's good to have a straight forward, warts and all review.
      I'm able to do totally biased reviews for free goods too (Bentley preferred)
      dkonopinski -
      Very helpful review. Thanks.

I wonder about the lock release being so close to where your thumb might be in use. I'm not going to have sleepless nights over it though. And I won't be buying one either.

Having said that, the SAK range has created such a massive market over the years that you can't blame other companies attempting to design a competitive range and trying to grab market share.

David
      johnnythefox -
      thank you for the review.
      Basemetal -
      Promoted to Article
      snoopdong -
      Nice review thanks, I spotted these the other day and thought they looked really good. I think the inclusion of a lock is necessary and misses the true target audience; european EDC.

What sort of locking mechanism is it? I cant quite figure it out?
      himself -
      Quote Originally Posted by snoopdong View Post
      Nice review thanks, I spotted these the other day and thought they looked really good. I think the inclusion of a lock is necessary and misses the true target audience; european EDC.

What sort of locking mechanism is it? I cant quite figure it out?
      I just checked. It's a liner lock. The spacer between the two layers is sprung and is pushed over by the button. The scales look like they will pop off but I don't want to force them. I might buy the cheapest one to have a fiddle and see if it can be made UK legal (as I said, the backspring feels like its up to the job) but I have't got a spare 20 at the moment (and the Domestic financial controller might smell a rat )
      himself -
      UPDATE:
      I converted it to UK legal by part cutting the spacer with a dremel and bending it slightly so it doesn't engage. The backspring is stronger than my SAK camper.
  • Subscribe

Become a subscibing member by clicking the button below.

Subscribe
  • Sponsored Links..

• Sponsored Links...

• Recent Forum Activity

avoidspam

What EDC are you carrying today?

Thread Starter: avoidspam

Thought I'd give this a go. Sorry if it's been tried before but I quite like the version on the other side of the pond. Everyone gets a bit creative with their camera's... Plus it's a nice opportunity to see what's out there....:) Sam

Last Post By: 8steve88 Today, 09:17 AM Go to last post
    killrathi

Blades...

Thread Starter: killrathi

Do your own knife with these blades... Ale blades i made from L2 steel, about 3mm thick and 60 HRC. Blades are ready to use - hardened, and sharp. You can finish them with satin or leave it and have fun from using :) NEW!!! - Traper total length: 23cm blade length: 11cm pin holes: 6mm...

Last Post By: killrathi Yesterday, 10:40 PM Go to last post
    Noddy

Para 3

Thread Starter: Noddy

A devotee of the Para 1, I hopped up and down like the Mad Monk about the Para 2, only to find myself pretty savagely disappointed by it when a first, then an improved second landed on the doormat. I often get wound up into an unreasonanble frenzy of enthusiasm about new Spydercos. I think they...

Last Post By: ceri Today, 05:40 PM Go to last post
    C.T.A.K.C

New UK legal folder from SOG

Thread Starter: C.T.A.K.C

What does everyone think about the SOG Terminus? Says its 3" blade with an unusual slip joint mechanism. Thoughts? http://www.sogknives.com/terminus-black.html

Last Post By: Nice65 Today, 07:51 PM Go to last post
    jungle_re

Not new but its been a while.............

Thread Starter: jungle_re

Thought i'd say "hi" to some old friends. The real world has been a bit busy the last few years but times are changing. Space for a decent workshop so time to dip the toe back in once set up.

Last Post By: Dr Gonzo Today, 06:42 PM Go to last post
    R31n15

Hand made knife

Thread Starter: R31n15

Hi guys. Im new to this site. It is nice to see so many knife lovers in one place. My pasion is pocket knifes and watches. I like to buy them and carry/wear them. So my long dream is to make my own knife. I know that there are many classes that offer just that but im not willing to pay 500 for...

Last Post By: snappingturtle Today, 07:57 PM Go to last post
    WorldTraveler

Hunter dream...

Thread Starter: WorldTraveler

Hello everyone. I was not on the forum for a while, and turn to introduce one of the knives that I finished. Steel - D2 Length - 25 cm Thickness - 4.3 mm Width - 3.00 cm Hande - Walnut, antler, vulcanizer fiber ... Leather sheath You can look me up on facebook and instagram, CB Knives. Thank...

Last Post By: sorinknives Today, 05:47 PM Go to last post
    Andy

Saw advice wanted

Thread Starter: Andy

I've moved and now have a wood burning stove to feed and have bits of wood the the last owners collected (and now some scrap from some work being done across the road) Is a silky still a good option for this? I figured I'm likely to end up cutting random bits of dried and green wood in the future....

Last Post By: John56 Today, 08:29 PM Go to last post
    Dr Gonzo

Titanium Spyderco Squeak with Elmax Blade

Thread Starter: Dr Gonzo

Titanium Spyderco Squeak with Elmax Blade 66% off on Massdrop...$94.99 instead of $279.95 plus $13.00 shipping :)

Last Post By: Dr Gonzo Today, 05:49 PM Go to last post
    rabbit sniper

Gamekeeper catapults

Thread Starter: rabbit sniper

Hi chaps does anyone have any experience with orders from gamekeeper John? I ordered a catapult off him in December it said could be 4/6 week waiting time but I've still not received anything from them. I emailed a few times and finally got a reply but all it said is yes we sent a confirmation...

Last Post By: rabbit sniper Today, 10:38 AM Go to last post
  • Alexa

Review britishblades.com on alexa.com