• Easy Scandi Tutorial

Instructions:

1. Plan to make the bolster out of horn and the shaft out of birch or other softwood, separated by a spacer;
    2. Scribe a straight line across the blade shoulder and tang and carefully file the shoulder square to the line;
    3. Sand the bolster back and shaft front perfectly flat on a piece of 320-ish sandpaper stuck to a glass or other flat table;
    4. Mark off the position of the knife and tang on the side and top of the assembled, but as-yet-unglued, handle block;
    5. Over-bore the tang hole in the shaft so that the tang just fits in the round hole;
    6. Carefully slot the bolster as above but, because it's only an inch thick you can easily use a square needle file (specially buy a coarse and a fine one with a good handle) and/or 3 jnr. hacksaw blades taped or soldered together;
    7. Don't bother to inset the shoulder (or if you do, it'll be a lot easier having squared it);
    8. Slide the bolster on the tang as a guide and glue the shaft to the back of the spacer, then remove the blade;
    9. Preheat the oven to 50~70 Celcius;
    10. Pour slow set (1 hr minimum!) epoxy in the handle shaft. I like to use a syringe and needle and fill from as close to the bottom as possible;
    11. Insert the tang into the handle assembly, knife should point upwards;
    12. Excess epoxy should ooze out, roughly wipe the blade and then handle;
    13. Place tip up in oven over a tinfoil sheet. Allow glue to set in oven for 20min then allow to cool;
    14. Use sander (or file) to remove a little excess wood, bolster and spacer;
    15. With a coping saw, cut the outline, leaving some spare;
    16. With a hand file finish the shape;
    17. Sand and sand and sand till you have a perfectly smooth finish;
    18. Buff on a rag wheel with buffing compound.Here is my design process:

The production process:

All seems to fit. I'll have to trim the tang though.

Note I decided to swap the moose horn with a piece or reindeer horn, becaus eit was smaller and had a smaller pith area.

Tang trimmed and back of the blade ground to shape. Note the slant.

Make sure you wrap the blade to protect you from the edge and point and to protect the finish from your tools and clamp.

I had to use the old drill stand because the drill press doesn't have enough travel.

Ugh. I messed up the alignment. It's OK, all I have to do is reposition the stuck on picture.

I grind the handle shaft face and back of the bolster perfectly flat on the sander. I follow up with sanding on wet-or-dry paper stock to a flat surface. This step is essential to get a good fit between the bolster and handle.

I slotted the bolster by drilling 4 undersized holes in a precise line, then chiseling out the sides using a needle file with a sharpened end, then two wood jigsaw blades side-by-side, then a proper wood-detailing chisel, then the side of a needle file. I got a tight fit with no gaps around the blade or between the back of the blade and the front of the bolster.

Here I trimmed the excess wood. Note the proper wood-type blade and good rigid hacksaw. This is much faster than a coping saw. Also note I left the base flat so the knife can stand unsupported.

Having test-fit the bolster and shaft, scribe/draw a line on the bolster and align with the wood block. Matching the centerline of the drill is essential. The bolster and wood must fit precisely. Do you notice that the sides of the antler have been ground off? Try clamping a round antler!

There's a trick here. Because shaft hole is overbored and the tang is a little loose, I stuffed a pea-sized ball of milliput (epoxy putty) down the end of the hole to hold the tang exactly in position while the epoxy cured. This ensures the alignment remains perfect. I over-filled the assembly with Pioneer Durasteel epoxy. It's expensive but viscous and bonds well. To ensure a good watertight fit I smeared epoxy on the back of the blade, on the tang, slid on the bolster, smeared epoxy on the back of the bolster and on the tang again. The whole thing was slightly over-filled and was assembled with force. I clamped the blade tip-down in the vice and used a rubber hammer to force the assembly together tightly. The force-fit is partly to do with the epoxy putty.

Here it is in the oven. The temperature is cool enough to handle without gloves. If it's too hot, you can damage the epoxy.

After 10 mins, when the epoxy is rubbery, I scrape the excess off the blade joint, taking care not to accidentally take too much out of the blade-bolster gap. I have to be very careful, because I'm using a hardened steel chisel point. I should really have a brass, bone or plastic knife.

I stuck the assembly back in the oven and after about another 15 mins, it was done.

Total production time up to this point was under 2 hours. The design work took another hour and a half.

File carving and finishing and buffing took another 4 hours. (Actually more, because I had to fill small a natural knot in the wood.)

This is how it should turn out

I have followed the lines as per the design. Note the fish's body shape.

Symmetrical shape for ambidextrous use and for visual balance.

The handle is narrower before the end. This is to fit the meaty bits of the hand.

The flaring makes for a secure grip when drawn. I didn't put a lanyard on because the knife handle had to be small (OAL18.5cm) to balance the blade and there's no part of the handle protruding far enough to string a lanyard through. Any outdoor knife should really have one.

See the pores of the antler marrow? I had to seal those with superglue to prevent water getting in.

This article was originally published in forum thread: Easy Scandi Tutorial started by ZDP-189 View original post
    Comments 4 Comments
      Bvvelzen -
      very nice, very easy to understand with all the pictures.
      kam30 -
      Just working on something at the moment inspired by this tutorial, very clear and easy to understand, even so i am sure i will manage to mess it up somehere....
      torquemada055 -
      I just ordered 2 of this type blade tonight so that my son and I can have a project together. He is 23 and we are both interested in learning to make knives.
      Thanks for the tutorial, it is very well done.
      Danny0663 -
      Thats a very nice tutorial Dan,Thanks for the info.
  • Subscribe

Become a subscibing member by clicking the button below.

Subscribe
  • Sponsored Links..

• Sponsored Links...

• Recent Forum Activity

avoidspam

What EDC are you carrying today?

Thread Starter: avoidspam

Thought I'd give this a go. Sorry if it's been tried before but I quite like the version on the other side of the pond. Everyone gets a bit creative with their camera's... Plus it's a nice opportunity to see what's out there....:) Sam

Last Post By: Noddy Today, 08:02 PM Go to last post
    Albert E

Birds,bugs etc,around us!!

Thread Starter: Albert E

Hi!!We all see and sometimes take pictures of animals around our house,or during our travel vacations!!Here some!!Maybe you have a few from your area too!! A mantis in my garden.

Last Post By: Albert E Today, 07:28 PM Go to last post
    Cronos

Cronos Handmade Knives

Thread Starter: Cronos

Hello everyone! My name is Dawid (David), I'm from a small village in southwest Poland. I've dealt knives from 2009 year, and I am part-time knifemaker. In my work I use various stylistic form (I like both traditional and modern materials) because I try not to limit my knives to one style. I...

Last Post By: Cronos Today, 05:57 PM Go to last post
    Chui

AdV - 'THE BUTCHER'

Thread Starter: Chui

Andre de Villiers - what a gent, what a superquick gent. A gentle to-ing and fro-ing by email and a nice chinwag on the phone, and hey presto - three very happy guys in UK. I am not a tactical folder person, however, when first clapping eyes on The Butcher, you got to admit, it is a bit...

Last Post By: Nice65 Today, 05:23 PM Go to last post
    Noddy

Para 3

Thread Starter: Noddy

A devotee of the Para 1, I hopped up and down like the Mad Monk about the Para 2, only to find myself pretty savagely disappointed by it when a first, then an improved second landed on the doormat. I often get wound up into an unreasonanble frenzy of enthusiasm about new Spydercos. I think they...

Last Post By: homesicksteve Today, 07:44 PM Go to last post
    STVaskov

my knives STV

Thread Starter: STVaskov

Hello , colleagues and I decided to do one a theme where to show my knive . I apologize for my spelling errors if there are small but use google translator

Last Post By: STVaskov Yesterday, 09:57 PM Go to last post
    Lupine

Commission. Modifications needed, quotes welcome.

Thread Starter: Lupine

Hi, I have a Busse Bushwacker Mistress, which came with the rather horrible coating they apply. Using stones and a small hand sander, Ive gotten the bulk off, but I dont have the tools, and its uneven, and I need a knifemaker with a belt grinder/polisher to finish it off for me. This is the...

Last Post By: Lupine Today, 06:33 PM Go to last post
    Andy

Saw advice wanted

Thread Starter: Andy

I've moved and now have a wood burning stove to feed and have bits of wood the the last owners collected (and now some scrap from some work being done across the road) Is a silky still a good option for this? I figured I'm likely to end up cutting random bits of dried and green wood in the future....

Last Post By: Andy Yesterday, 10:08 PM Go to last post
    Abyrvalg

Sami style knife "Woodsman"

Thread Starter: Abyrvalg

This one I made as a present for the person who is a real woodsman. This is why the name. Blade is hand forged by Belgian blade smith Alessio Salsi. It's zone hardened high carbon steel. Handle and sheath - roasted curly maple and reindeer antler. Sami style carving for decoration. As...

Last Post By: wil1hit Today, 12:46 AM Go to last post
    Firefly1

Cracking deals on Leatherman tools

Thread Starter: Firefly1

Hi All, Just got pinged by Torch Direct to have a shuffty at their other site ( www.multitool.co.uk ) and received a 25% off clearance coupon for that site. It enabled me to get a Leatherman Charge TTI for just short of 120 delivered:D Scroll down for more

Last Post By: umbracanis Today, 06:42 PM Go to last post
  • Alexa

Review britishblades.com on alexa.com