Wade and Butcher and the origin of the "Butcher knife."

I write for several U.S. knife publications and I am interested in tracking down the origin of a type of common knife that I grew up knowing as a "butcher knife." The firm of Wade and Butcher had a long history in the UK and even transplanted to the US where it sold products under the "Sheffield" brand.

The particular knife in question is often about 10-inches long, wooden handled, and has a prominant swell towards the point with often an obtuse "peak" on the top of the blade about 1-inch back from its obtuse point. This design made for a more weight-forward feel and aided in chopping and handling the knife. It was used as a general purpose knife for dismembering carcasses and for making long, smooth cuts through large muscles, according to butcher friends of mine.

Prior to about World War II and into the 1950s most kitchens in America had such a knife for dismembering chickens and the like.

The question is, did the butcher name become attached to this knife because it was introduced by the Wade and Butcher Co., or is this a "generic name" that was attached to the knife because it was used in the butcher's trade? Occasionally, I have seen the knife described as a Butcher knife with upper case lettering, indicating that someone, maybe Jon Butcher, may have designed it.

Does anyone on that side of the pond closer to the source, have any more or less certain knowledge about this?

I have written 14 books with some of the more recent being "Practical Bowfishing," "Crossbow Hunting," and my most recent, "Backyard Deer Hunting: Converting deer to dinner for pennies per pound." These and much other stuff is on my website, www.hoveysmith.com. I also have a blog, http//www.hoveysmith.wordpress.com (Backyard Deer Hunting: Inexpensive eats from the outdoors) and post videos on Youtube and photos on Flickr. Recent things including cleaning and shooting a .75-caliber Brunswick Rifle, cleaning and using road-killed deer (a real problem in parts of the U.S.) and even one on "Marketing Creative Content." There will be dead animals, organs, etc. on these sites so if you do not want to view that, don't go.

For those who are Facebook fans of my blog, I also have a contest where the winner can have a free 5-day hunt with me at Whitehall in Georgia and select from crossbows, muzzleloaders, handguns or single-shot cartridge rifles. The hunt will include everything but your trip over and licenses which will be about $160 U.S. I will pick you up in Atlanta and take you back. If you can take your meat back with you, you get that too; or the frozen equivalent if we happen to take something late in the hunt. I will choose among the best 600-word letters detailing why you want to hunt with me. The details are posted on my blog. This is a hunt for does as meat animals, but if you see a huge buck you can shoot that one too. We like to let our young bucks walk.

Thread Information