Rob Sorby sheep shears

I know this is not a knife, but I bought this pair of sheep shears a couple of days ago from a small antique shop.

[IMG][/IMG]

I have been told on BCUK that it's quite an unusual shape, and I am interested to find out a bit more about it. The stamp on each blade says Rob Sorby, Warranted, Sheffield, with what looks like a Kangaroo next to it.

I know there is a Sorby that still make carving chisels and knives.

I was wondering if anyone here knows somethin g about it, such as how old it might be?

It is still quite sharp, I have cut some paper easily with it, and thatss's before I sharpen it! I had thought of making two knives with it, but I have changed my mind, I like it as it is!

I can post some more pics if needed.

Thanks. Joel
    The carrying of a pocket knife is a man tradition that should be continued.

My Blog

Knives & Leather work

Re: Rob Sorby sheep shears

A Really nice pair of shears! I have collected a couple of different makes and patterns (it's easy here in Oz!) but I have never seen the reversed spring on any other pattern. I can see the advantages of manufacturing shears with the "reversed" spring bow as the rivets are so accessable. B and B in Sheffield and possibly a couple of other companies still make hand shears but they don't hold the place in society that they once did so I think they are well worth collecting. Thanks for showing.
    Regards,
    Jim (S)
    Have a go ! You may well surprise yourself.

In 19th century Australia, "sorbies" (sorbys, sawbees) was a colloquial term for a pair of sheep shears!
    Hence the line from the refrain from a popular folk song of the time - "The Ryebuck Shearer"
    "I'll never pick up sawbees, or stike another blow,
    'till I prove I'm a ryebuck shearer"

Quote Originally Posted by watervole1 View Post
    I know this is not a knife, but I bought this pair of sheep shears a couple of days ago from a small antique shop.

[IMG][/IMG]

I have been told on BCUK that it's quite an unusual shape, and I am interested to find out a bit more about it. The stamp on each blade says Rob Sorby, Warranted, Sheffield, with what looks like a Kangaroo next to it.

I know there is a Sorby that still make carving chisels and knives.

I was wondering if anyone here knows somethin g about it, such as how old it might be?

It is still quite sharp, I have cut some paper easily with it, and thatss's before I sharpen it! I had thought of making two knives with it, but I have changed my mind, I like it as it is!

I can post some more pics if needed.

Thanks. Joel
    That is interesting.

Wouldn't that design also make for a lighter (less powerful) spring?

Those things look dangerous fella, I'm sure they could act as more than just sheep shears. Look more like sheep sack clippers to me buddy.

VIP Member

It's a wonderful piece, intact.
    I had a chance to have a go at sheep shearing myself, in The Highlands last year.
    This amazing shepherd and dog-whisperer, Neil, was kind enough to hand me these rustic-looking shears and let me try my hand. To my surprise, they zipped through the wool like a knife through butter.
    Here's the guy:

With the whistles around his neck, he directed a dozen sheep dogs around the field like they were on remote control. Dazzling.
    Have you tried turning it off and on again?

I first came in contact with these as a young lad in the early 1950s in Melbourne Australia, my father had one (of course they were referred to as a "pair" as in scissors) that were used for trimming lawn around path and curb edges (and yes he was a bit of a neat freak). It was only much later that I realised that they were actually sheep shears. A great looking example, well done!
    Lawrie

Thread Information