Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

EDC Heavy Duty Survival Knife

I have been trawling the Web for weeks - and I am down to these three:

Gerber Prodigy - is it strong enough?

Extrema Ratio Fulcrum C - too expensive and dangerous looking?

Becker Companion - midway between the two above in price and seems built like a tank

When I say EDC - I am fortunate not to work in a 'public place', more actually 'a prohibited place', so it would be used both in work and for when trekking out into the mountains - Snowdonia etc. I don't have an issue with weight and usually carry a heavy pack

Thanks for any views

VIP Member

Re: EDC Heavy Duty Survival Knife

Hi Charlie,
    I have found there is a lot of expertise on here. If you tell us a bit more about what you are likely to use it for, the advice will flow I'm sure.

In the mean time here is something for you to look at on another thread, that seems similiar to what you are currently thinking about:
    http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...hlight=schrade

Survival knives are a funny category, because there are hardly any boundaries.
    I seem to collect them, though it's fair to say the knives I like often have that name, rather than I go out looking for them. And Heavy duty means different things to different people.
    The British scene -light, often coniferous, woodland, scrub wilderness and small mammals puts us in a different place for blade requirements from the USA or even scandinavia so lots of knives ideal for those places are a bit lost on us. Knives in mountains tend to be ballast -not much use above the treeline and a SAK can do everything necessary.

That said, a knife is certainly handy below the tree line. I appreciate the American distinction of a backwoods and a frontwoods knife -and we don't have backwoods here.

As for heavy duty, what heavy duty tasks do you have in mind? A hatchet is a far better chopper than a knife will ever be (and lighter and cheaper). A Khukri can be one of the best dual function tools (and doesn't have to be too huge). Most knives are broken prying... so don't pry if you can help it.
    Wilkie Dartmoors are still available if you really want that kind of heavy saw back knife with a chopping blade
    Wilkie Treeslappers (MOD Survival Knife) are cheap, heavy duty and can be adapted.
    Fallkniven F1s are the Swedish Airforce Survival knife
    Mora 2000s are the Swedish army SK.
    The Finnish Sissipuuko (Rangers Knife) is a brilliantly hefty knife for little weight.
    The Lapp and Lapp inspired Leuko is another knife that can be heavy duty without being heavy.
    I like my Benchmade Ritter RSK3 for light weight and useablity -but they're hard to find here.

As the knives get more practical for the UK they are getting lighter and approaching the "bushcraft" style -like a Woodlore or Woodlore clone. Even lighter knives -like Moras and Green Rivers, are still able to do all UK knife tasks capably.

If you want a knife that won't break, concentrate on how you use it. If you need an axe, carry one. If you need a prybar (for what??)...cut a branch.
    If you want something getting on for indestructible whatever you do with it, have a look at the Nexus offerings by Moletta on here.

At the end of the day its a knife, rather than survival knife -get one you're happy with.

My advice for an EDC would be a light knife with a 4"blade backed up by a small (91mm) SAK.
    Once you get used to a lighter pack you'll never go back
    " I never said that." Albert Einstein.

OF the three you listed I'd go for the Becker -mostly for the comfy handle.
    But do have a look around makers sales on here...you could find something even better,

VIP Member

I dont have any experience with the Extrema Ratio, but i do own a Becker Campanion. The Becker is a VERY robust knife with excellent ergonomics. I read on BF that Kabar have never had a Becker returned under warranty with a busted blade. Of the 3 knives you mention, id go with the BK2.

Ive owned the Prodigys bigger brother the LMF II. I had the old version with the 12C27 steel and it was a very tough knife with one of the best sheaths ive seen on a production knife.The Prodigy is abit smaller plus it dosent have the skullcrusher/glass buster pommel. I imagine it to be a pretty tough knife. Blade steel isnt the best, but i think its a good, cheap knife thatll get the job done. Only minus are the serrations.

Thanks for all the responses

"Heavy Duty" to me, means that I won't break it - I have a propensity to be 'somewhat heavy handed' (not all the time! lol) and that's why I like the Becker - Tank like seems to work!

You are, of course, right about 'tree lines' - I do like to do alot of fire making and ad-hoc survival shelter building. I have looked at various axes and saws - and will probably get one of those too - I like the 'sawvivor' that Nutnfancy always uses

I do favour the shorter length of Survival Knife - they seem more practical and user friendly. I did look at the Fallkniven F1 - some good reviews - but unlike the Gerber Prodigy - the handle was straight without a finger guard

Pry- Bar - a definate for easing stuck fast Ammunition Containers (AC's) or their 'contents'. I am still thinking of getting the Boker Plus Cop Tool - again built not to be broken, or maybe the Buck Bravo - both of which are small enough to fit into a Tactical Vest. Although, the Becker Companion with its quarter- inch thick blade should be strong enough to use as a Pry-Bar if needed and whose Kydex Sheath could be cable-tied or velcroed to the Vest.

The reality is - I do envisage two knives - A Survival Knife and an EDC - back to the 'Net......8-)

If you liked the F1, there are a few customised ones around with more of a fingerguard to the handles.
    The Sissipuuko (available from Brisa) is another 5mm blade but with more of a finger guard design. Tough as they come and there are now two blade lengths available.
    Good article here

The secondary problem with knives as prybars (after breakage) is damage to the edge near the point. Blades might take side loading, but edges rarely do. A pocket prybar might make a good, light addition to your toolkit.

Some makers here come up with 8mm and beyond shortish blades -could be just what you are looking for? And Kydex sheaths aren't too hard to make for any knife.

imo the most robust heavy duty survival knife is on of the rat cutlery/esee knives. i have got the rat4 for my birthday and it is bomb proof i swear. and comes with a kydex sheith.
    other than that i would recommend the cold steel srk. my mate has one and has abused it to buggery, prying things, opening tins with it, hacking bones apart etc and he swears by it.
    other options would be the enzo knives as ive heard a lot good from them and possibly a ka-bar utility if you can find an old one (newer ones dont seem as robust)

of the ones you selected i would go for the becker but you may want to have a look at magnums offerings as they are a lot cheaper and very similar.
    http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Magnum...p-92-167-2953/

with that sawvivor thingie i understand that its good that you can replace the blade but with a normal folding saw like the laplander you can cut thicker chunks of wood and its a hell of a lot cheaper and lighter as far as i know.

corse this is all subjective but i hope it helps
    Last edited by megamatt333; 03-07-10 at 02:42 PM.
    Matt

VIP Member

The ER Fulcrum C is bomb proof in it's construction but not actually a great cutter as due to it's not very sharp serrated section it has very little cutting edge, the Shrapnel might be worth a look, same price though. Another that may be worth a look is the Blackjack Grunt, i've had one for a few years now (Seki made version) & it's a good robust knife, veeery sharp convex edge & a thick spine with an overmolded kraton handle.

Administrator

The ER's make great tin openers, but due to the blade thickness, they do not excell at cutting tasks. I would consider the Fallkniven F1, or if you want something a little bigger, the S1.

Quoth the server: "404."

VIP Member

The S1 is a good recommendation. I think the smaller one would be the H1 rather than F1.

You might keep your eye out for a Zackerty Serrata

VIP Member

+1 for Rat/Esee. The HEST might suit, with a built in pry bar. Have a look at all of them though and the warranty too.
    http://survival-knives.co.uk/esee-kn...-t-/cat_6.html

If you can't stretch to a Nexus, you could consider a Moletta design by Fox. Same steel as the Extrema Ratio's
    http://www.heinnie.com/search.asp?st...o+hunter+fixed

Happy hunting

Just to make this even more of a tough choice for you I would say the Bark River Bravo 1 or the STS-5 are both very strong blades that will do very nicely in survival situations.

BRAVO 1

STS-5

I'd also recommend the Bahco Laplander folding saw if you are going the saw route. These are a bargain right now at 13 delivered from Amazon.
    Last edited by RoyalM; 03-07-10 at 06:46 PM.
    Glory is the reward of valor

Srk

banned

Fallkniven A1 or A2.

Thread Information