Gelert Inferno warning.

I know a couple of people here use these and I've just destroyed mine by mistake. Here's a link. It's a handy stove with a piezo ignition.

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/sh...as-723128.html

The gauze burned out in the burner head resulting in the flame leaping inside and heating the whole thing red hot. Melted the tailgate on my work truck a bit too, but it could easily have been a fire in a tent porch.

Gelert say that only butane should be used, NOT propane mixes. This isn't made very clear when buying. They say the copper tube on the side is for pre-heating the gas for a cold weather burn. I'm not convinced butane is very useful in freezing conditions and have opted for a Vango folding stove instead. No piezo ignition on it, but I'm sure I'll cope.

The Vango, offered as a free replacement by Complete Outdoors, excellent service as I had been using the Gelert for a while.

http://www.completeoutdoors.co.uk/Va...ding-Gas-Stove
    Warren Earp: Wyatt, you're still a marshal around here, aren't you?
    Doc Holliday: Sure. But now he's going to be a marshal and an outlaw. Best of both worlds, son.

Account Closed

Re: Gelert Inferno warning.

Glad you got a replacement in the end which is a nice touch of where you bought it. If its not clearly stated as butane only then these things will happen.. Hows the new one performing?

Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheGeeks View Post
    Glad you got a replacement in the end which is a nice touch of where you bought it. If its not clearly stated as butane only then these things will happen.. Hows the new one performing?
    Haven't got it yet, only got the email offering a replacement a couple of days ago. I didn't know about the problem with propane burning too hot when I contacted the company and accepted their kind offer. I'm not too sure they're aware of it either. Maybe they are, they don't stock the Gelert anymore.

The Vango burner head looks sturdy by comparison and is stainless steel. I think it's probably pretty solid.
    Doc Holliday: Sure. But now he's going to be a marshal and an outlaw. Best of both worlds, son.

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nice65 View Post
    Haven't got it yet, only got the email offering a replacement a couple of days ago. I didn't know about the problem with propane burning too hot when I contacted the company and accepted their kind offer. I'm not too sure they're aware of it either. Maybe they are, they don't stock the Gelert anymore.

The Vango burner head looks sturdy by comparison and is stainless steel. I think it's probably pretty solid.
    Is it just me or does the base on the Vango stove look tiny (unstable) considering it doesn't sit on top of the gas cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by lost hope View Post
    Is it just me or does the base on the Vango stove look tiny (unstable) considering it doesn't sit on top of the gas cartridge.
    I think the base of the three potstands is also the base of the unit. The manufacturers blurb quoted everywhere is 'Ideal for large loads and unstable surfaces'.

Got the Vango this morning. I'm impressed with it. The boil times are correct, just under 6 mins for a litre of water, and it sits very stable on the ground. This is due to the feet being further apart than the Gelert and also it being lower to the ground. It feels much more solid and isn't as fiddly to set up. The only thing I know I'll miss is the piezo ignition, so handy with freezing, wet hands.

Unfortunately it started to pee with rain so I had to take these pic on my grubby doormat. Once again, the iphone camera excels. Not!

Account Closed

looks the dogs dangly bits! very nice indeed.

I have to say this thread confused me as I have a folding stove also called an inferno, but labelled hi gear, not the same thing at all so it turns out.

It is a bit annoying that the only kind of gas that seems commonly available is a propane, butane mixture either in the coleman resealable cartridges or the camping gaz equivalent, if some appliances apparantly do not like it. I have never seen pure butane cartridges anywhere.

I am annoyed at something else at the moment, in that I recently bought a sunngas parabolic heater and only when I got it home did I see that it has a preference for sunngas butane cartridges that are not available anywhere. I will run in on the coleman cartridges as I expect most people do (having no choice) and see what happens.

Thread Information