Thread: Helle Besseggen

Helle Besseggen

Well, I've taken delivery today of a new Helle Besseggen (ordered from Heinnies who gave excellent service as usual) so I thought I'd write a few words.

As seems to be the case with Helle knives now, this one comes in the tube type packaging which is actually quite good. I've not seen any reviews for the Besseggen so far, save for a comment online from a chap who said "The Jury's still out for me" and unfortunately I have to agree with him. I wanted the knife to use when out in the field, mainly for dressing small game such as rabbits, wood pigeon and the odd squirrel. I liked the look of the compact blade and still do to be honest but the handle and fit/finsh is a different matter.

The blade itself appears to have been fitted to this particular handle at a very slight angle, slight but definitely noticeable especially when you hold the knife vertical and look at it from the spine side; the blade is angled to the right. There is also a metal plate fitted between the blade and handle which I'm presuming is supposed to be flush with the handle, as it is the same shape. This one however is far from flush and again is fitted slightly offset; not quite flush with the handle on one side but overhanging slightly on the other. The handle itself is quite nice, although it is very slim and also quite small and I by no means have large hands.

I have not tested the blade on anything yet, as at the moment I am in two minds whether to send it back to Heinnies for a refund/exchange. I do like Helle knives and in particular the shape and size of this blade. I fully appreciate this is a production knife, not custom made but that said, I did expect better quality for the price of almost 70.

I think I'll sleep on it (not the knife, obviously) and make a decision tomorrow but as it stands I can see it going back.

All the best
    Paul

VIP Member

Re: Helle Besseggen

It sounds like one crept through the QC - I'd imagine everyone would be happier if you sent it back for a replacement

Looks like a good knife. I was eyeing it up myself the other day

I once had a metal plate loosen over time (7 years of hard use) and Helle just sent me a new knife.

I'd suggest contacting them.
    Michiel

I'm going to contact Heinnie this morning; I know their customer service is top class and don't for one minute doubt that Helle provide the same. I do like this knife which should be a great little back up for my F1 so I'll ask for a replacement and see if Heinnies would mind opening the package up to check it first.

I'll hopefully do an 'in use' review of the next one.

VIP Member

In the Heinne picture the blade looks very broad/wide. Is it really or is it just how the picture was taken?

VIP Member

I had the same problem with a Karesuando Boar knife : blade offset in the handle and grinding markings on the reindeer spacer and on the messing bolster. Not at all impressed by the build quality of that knife. Moreover it is a PITA to sharpen that 12C27 blade (I know I'm not good at sharpening, but I succeed in sharpening nicely ALL of my other knives).
    Must be a general slack in QC quality of service.
    See the whole story here : http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...o-from-Belgium
    Last edited by scrubber; 26-08-10 at 10:59 AM.
    "Guns don't kill people - people kill people"
    All the best, Antoine

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    In the Heinne picture the blade looks very broad/wide. Is it really or is it just how the picture was taken?
    The blade is quite short and wide (from spine to edge, I think you mean?) I'd do a pic but it's boxed up ready to go back so will wait to see what the replacement is like and maybe do some then with a review once I've used it.

Well I sent the knife back to Heinnies (it went on Tuesday by RMSD) and was gobsmacked to receive the replacement today! That means they got the faulty Besseggen yesterday and sent a new one straight out; whatever I think of the knife, I absolutely cannot fault the service of Heinnie Haynes, they've been simply superb throughout.

On the plus side the replacement knife looks much better. It isn't what I'd call special but at least the blade is straight on this one
    As I said before, I do like the shape of this little knife so I'll give a couple of weeks use and then do a little review. I might even have a go at conquering modern technology and try to upload pics of it...

VIP Member

Got my head around uploading pics myself a week ago by following the instructions somewhere on this site. Seem to recall the instructions were difficult to find but maybe that was me. Perhaps someone could point you to the instructions?

Thread Information