Maker

Sandvik 14C28N steel/Fantoni

A little while back I was asked to take a look at a new steel from Sandvik...14C28N. The knife is made by Italian manufacturer Fantoni and is a small hideout/boot knife, but this was primarily a chance to look at a new steel rather than the knife design. As a maker, I was naturally curious to have a chance to try out a new steel. None of the tests could be called scientific, but they told me what I wanted to know

Firstly, the knife on question (courtesy of Heinnies)...

Started off slicing rings off a heavy cardboard postal tube. After 10 rings it would still just about shave, 20 and it wouldn't shave but would slice paper...got to 34 before it started to tear the cardboard and wouldn't slice paper. My VG10 Spyderco managed similar performance at 37 rings.

Re-edged it and under sharpening it felt hard and 'flint-like' giving an aggressive edge...making me think it may be on the overly hard/brittle side. Went to a brass rod test, half expecting it to chip, but the edge flexed beautifully with no chipping or edge deformation.

Upped the ante and went to batoning a seasoned 1 1/2" branch. Taking out the second notch, approx 1" of the edge broke off...although I would put this down to the thin hollow grind being unsuitable for what I was asking of it...a geometry issue, rather than a steel one. The knife grind is suitable for the designed purpose but a hard-use outdoors knife would need more meat behind the edge.

As an extreme test of toughness/impact resistance I spent 10 mins throwing it into a wooden pallet. Considering the knife had a large chunk of the edge missing and resulting stress-risers and weakness, I was expecting to lose the tip doing this. Impressed to say that no further damage was sustained.

Next, I took the remaining edge onto a block of aluminium and repeatedly sliced the corners off the block with no discernable edge damage.

Back to the tip...I started punching it through a metal oil can, and having coped with that easily, I went on to some 0.5mm stainless sheet. I repeatedly stabbed the tip through, then twice hammered it clean through. Finally I batoned the edge about 15mm into the sheet. Although the edge was blunted, it was not damaged...no visible dints, chips or rolling of the edge or tip...this is a very good steel! Even the finish shows hardly any scratches from being hammered through the sheet.

I re-ground the blade to make it usable again, although the lines of the knife have suffered somewhat.

Final thing to look at was corrosion resistance, for which I used the blade chip...

(You can see how thin the edge is...micrometer read 0.55mm thick 5mm behind the edge).

I left it submerged in a saturated salt solution for 3 1/2 days...after which time a single bloom of rust could be seen...but on taking the piece out, there was only a very slight stain on the blade...

...I would have to say the corrosion resistance is excellent

To sum-up, IMHO I would say 14C28N is a premium blade material, and one that I'd be entirely happy to take into the woods, carry in my pocket or stamp my name on

Thanks for looking folks,

Guy
    "No one, no one in this world can you trust, not men, not women, not beasts........THIS you can trust."
    ~Conan's father~

banned

Re: Sandvik 14C28N steel/Fantoni

Oi!! Cliff Stamp, what are you doing signing in as Guycep?

Account Closed

Very thorough testing there Guy!

Shame about the missing bits on the blade, but the steel certainly comes across well. Nice looking knife too!

It would be great to see more of this sort of thing on BB.

Danzo

VIP Member

Thanks for doing the work & posting, Guy. For someone like me, being pretty ignorant as far as steels go, this kind of test & review is very interesting & useful.

David
    "Actually, I was looking to gain an edge." - Lone Watie

Maker

oops!
    Last edited by Stuart Mitchell; 22-09-10 at 11:23 AM.

Maker

I think...

The N in 14C28N relates to nitrogen, the addition of which means that less carbon can be added to the mix whilst still acheiving the same hardness, wear resistance etc, less carbon equals better stain resistance...

Like I say, I think...

Nice test/review that Guy

banned

Wow! That's one seriously damaged knife.

I know you said you thought the edge set up and grind were basically to blame but even so I would not expect a knife to break so easily on a baton test through wood.

VIP Member

We'll have to keep an eye out for others made in that stuff then Been looking for one in 19c27 for a while, well, one I can afford anyway

Now that's what I call a test of steel! Great review and an interesting read, thanks.

Great review Guy!
    Pity the blade took such a hammering and the chip looks pretty extreme.
    The regrind is a good rescue though

The branch looks a fair bit thicker than an inch and a half to be fair!
    Surprised the edge was so fragile and normally that would put me off but the rest of the tests would lend me to believe the steel wasn't at fault. Looks tough as old boots otherwise.

Great review, thanks for taking the time!
    My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!

Paracord bracelets, keyrings and lanyards available for sale, pm me for details.

www.countrysideadventures.co.uk

VIP Member

not bad with regards to stain resistance, however i recall that you can put a nice new nail into a pot of saline and it don't rust that much, it needs the oxygen, i'd be interested to see what would happen if the chip were to be susspended half in half out of the saline. but as stu says if the N stands for nitrogen then it won't rust as much anyway.

good test all the same. i prefer the new lines!

steve

Maker

Quote Originally Posted by stevec View Post
    not bad with regards to stain resistance, however i recall that you can put a nice new nail into a pot of saline and it don't rust that much, it needs the oxygen, i'd be interested to see what would happen if the chip were to be susspended half in half out of the saline. but as stu says if the N stands for nitrogen then it won't rust as much anyway.
    I sort of have it on good authority mate...

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...jac-s.../page2

That test could easily be organised, would you like to try it?

VIP Member

i'm sure that i could test it in a whole range of different nasties! lets have a look in the cupboard and see what we got, ohh, hydrochloric, nitric, suplhuric, HF, and a range of alkalines...

as it happens, sometimes having a very concentrated solution, actually slows a reaction up, especially if the solvent is needed to chelate/react with one of the substances. so perhaps saline isn't the best way to test rusting, perhaps a weaker salt solution would do better.

ps i'm not touching the HF!

Thread Information