Joseph rodgers & sons - cuttlers to Her Majesty

Hello, I have a few dinner knifes that have the blade marked with Joseph Rodgers & Sons cuttlers to Her Majesty, a V + a crown + an R on the top and a star and cross on the bottom.
    The handle has a lady's bust on one side and a man's on the other, it resembles some roman style decoration. it has also a stamp: an ancor, letters GMT( I think) number 06 and letter M

Can anyone tell me about these, age, value, history?

Thanks

Re: Joseph rodgers & sons - cuttlers to Her Majesty

Hi, the V crown R denotes that they are Victorian and the star and cross is the company's trademark.

The handles sound very interesting, are they metal or ivory? The anchor and letter sound like it is silver. The number six may be the size of the handle and the GMT could be the manufacturer of the silver collar. Do you have a picture? That would really help. I cannot really value them without seeing the handle decoration. Because they have unusual marks, there is a chance the handles have been refitted onto plain Rodgers blades.

Andy

Thanks for the pics, those are the marks for a silverplaters called Gorham of America so the handles are likely silverplated. The blades are also silverplated and not carbon steel (which would be more valuable).

In some cases, some companies bought blades from knife manufacturers and fitted their own handles, you see it a lot in USA, Tiffany used to fit a lot of solid silver handles to Rodgers knife blades and sell them.

To be honest, in terms of value, it largely depends on if the handles are silver or silverplate. If they are silver, they will be worth quite a lot from weight alone. The tiffany handled ones usually sell quite well. Aren't American silver items usually stamped STERLING? Or is that only if they are imported.

I would think the handles depict a Greek or Roman god and goddess as Neoclassicism was very popular around the time they were made.

I personally would say the market for these is USA if you were planning on selling.

Andy
    Last edited by RodgersLad; 06-01-11 at 11:44 PM.

Thank you so very much for your time and information. I bought 10 of these knifes at a yard sale in America and was very curious about it.
    Once again thank you

If anyone can tell me what this might be worth or anything about it I would appreciate it, It is a 13.5in long Joseph Rodgers & Sons Cutlers To Her Majesty knife. My personal email is NHolloway734@gmail.com, thanks

This is a carver pattern and there is not too much left of the original blade form, it has been sharpened within an inch of its life. Being made of quality steel it will still retain an edge and do its job well, but I would say it is not of much value; there are boxed mint condition examples in circulation.

Just out of interest I have a collection of hundreds of Sheffield table knives with many of the old makers marks represented. It's quite a good reference library for makers if anyone wants to see or ask about any of the old marks.

Regards mickw

If anyone can tell me what this might be worth or anything about it I would appreciate it, It is a 13.5in long Joseph Rodgers & Sons Cutlers To Her Majesty knife. My personal email is NHolloway734******.com, thank

Hi nice to see you on BB
    Whilst I cant add to info other than it is Victorian hense the VR.
    My main point is you should not put your full email address in open forum as there could be spammers around who would love your details.
    Welcome again
    Captain
    Last edited by Captain; 02-03-11 at 12:46 PM.
    PARTING THE CLOUDS SEEKING THE WAY

https://picasaweb.google.com/101916709163201355045

Hi,

Does anybody knows something about these knives? If it is possible of course. This is a heritage of my friend.
    She'd seen the page of company but she wants to sell it.

Ages, price etc.

Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristina View Post
    https://picasaweb.google.com/101916709163201355045

Hi,

Does anybody knows something about these knives? If it is possible of course. This is a heritage of my friend.
    She'd seen the page of company but she wants to sell it.

Ages, price etc.

Thank you in advance.
    It looks like these knives have the later used G crown R which means they date to around 1930-1940. It's nice that they are boxed. Value is around 30 pounds in their box in my opinion.
    Andy

Thread Information