Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lubes and stuff

Re: Lubes and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by The General View Post
    White lightening is basically a white grease. Messy but effective.

Best way to deal with the rust spotting is to use a cleaner/polish like Flitz, give her a good rub down then apply Marine Tuf Cloth.

Regular treatment ought to do the trick.
    White lightning is a wax product. It should dry and become immobile. A drying wax lube should be excellent for folders, not attracting dust etc, and immobility isn't a problem, unlike wax in bike drivetrains where immobility is a problem!

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by The General View Post
    Ok, rust protection.
    For Rust Protection I have found that using my shotgun protection stuff works really well for my Knives too.

I use mostly Napier of London products, Their oils contain vapour phase inhibitors & contact inhibitors that protect anywhere air penetrates but wont knacker the wood.

A quick wipe with the oily cloth after I finish cleaning the gun does the trick. I have also put one of their Protecive vapour sachets in my knife drawer now as well.

Works for me anyway.

"Everytime I learn Something new, It pushes old stuff out of my brain"

...Self confessed member of the unofficial and probably really non-existent BB "Jamie" Club.....

Wow!......................... Im amazed at all the high tech stuff being used here.
    Whatever happened to 3 in One oil?. I use a hybrid oil, basically a mix of whatever i have left hanging around in the workshop: i.e. motor oil, WD40, 3 in One , pedro's, finish line, duckhams etc.
    For any tools im not using for a while i give a brush down with linseed oil, hammers,axes, chisels etc. This covers them stops rust and even if its forgotten in an old tool box can be cleaned off fairly quickly.
    I have used graphite for some folding knives, lithium grease for stored knives and sometimes vaseline for wooden handles and leather sheaths.
    Ive probably broken a few cardinal rules here but im going to hell anyway.............

banned

Great thread, thank you, I found it very useful!

VIP Member

Militec-1

This product is amazing.
    A truely remarkable lubricant & protectant.
    For all alloy & steel folders etc, I have not used anything better.

I used Militec-1 on the carrier & latch mechanisms of semi-auto high capacity shotguns, again
    I am amazed at the way the lubrication continues & to work & build up of cartidge debris within the reciever & bore where reduced.
    Cleaning the bore took one pass with a bore snake & was perfect.

The downside.
    The marketing & distribution of this product within the UK has not been that good.
    You send emails & wait for weeks.
    You send another & get one response then nothing in the way of product.

Edit : I have now spoken to the UK distributor who has contacted me. The product is definately
    available here & now.
    Peter Stuart has been very helpul with his explantion for poor contact etc, which does make sense.
    I would give this stuff a go.
    The website is http://www.militec-uk.co.uk/explain.html

Cheers]
    Darren
    Last edited by intrepid1; 27-04-10 at 04:24 PM.

I am an addict of ballistol. Protects well from rust and that all I need. Protects blade whether there is some plant juice on it or not. And it is not too expensive, or rare. Bought a litter years ago, not seeing the end of it !

And the cherry on the cake, as we say in french, the stink repels curious people

I hate stuff like tuff cloth , marine or not, which dries at first sight and costs a fortune.

another good protection is simply the wax from the polishing buffer (and polished surface)

PS: I would NEVER use PTFE grease on user blades, loose teflon is carcinogenic ! I had familly working at a tefal factory in the 60-70ies, and they had an amazing number of brain cancers within the workforce. And that was a time when people did not care about such things, so you can imagine the figure were visible. Take it as it is.

A good treatment to avoid rust is perchlo bath of the blade, rub with 000 steel wool, and grease. Gives a superb old patina, and lowers natural sensibility to rust by a lot. All other spread treatments are just working as long as there is some of the protective molecule left, when this is about pre-oxydising the blade.
    Last edited by JMS; 13-06-10 at 11:50 AM.
    ciao,
    /JM

Smile Re: Lubes and stuff

Well I am fond of stainless steel and to maintain it I regularly polish it wit oil.

Regards

data Recovery
    http://www.datadoctor.biz

Quote Originally Posted by datarecovery View Post
    Well I am fond of stainless steel and to maintain it I regularly polish it wit oil.
    [/URL]
    It takes all sorts, I suppose....
    " I never said that." Albert Einstein.

I think we are meant to click on the link in his signature line Danny

Who's gonna do it first?
    My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!

Paracord bracelets, keyrings and lanyards available for sale, pm me for details.

www.countrysideadventures.co.uk

You
    " I never said that." Albert Einstein.

No way!
    Could lead anywhere!
    Besides that, I dare ya!
    My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!

Paracord bracelets, keyrings and lanyards available for sale, pm me for details.

www.countrysideadventures.co.uk

that stuff - ballistol- is it 100 % safe for humans ??? I heard that rose oil is a safe option , anybody tried it ?

banned

Ballistol is about as safe for humans as any oil can be. Its not given me any problems.

VIP Member

i have been using Nanolube for a while and its very good, i got the heavy weight one and all you need is a pinprick.

i did hear that nano particals are not good for you and another thing said that they don't harm you?!?!

VIP Member

Just thought Id throw my oar if thats ok guys. I use ACF50 and recommend it. http://www.acf-50.co.uk/
    It acts as a lubricant and rust inhbitor, it also displaces water (perhaps not as well as wd40 but then again I dont like stoddard solvents near my knives longterm).
    Its excellent in preventing the galvanic type corrosion you can sometimes get when different types of metals are in contact and trade ions. I appreciate this in particular as alot of knifes can suffer from this over time in harsher enviornemnts, especially in salty condition.
    I have used dry lubricants like graphite powder in the pivot but found they wash out too easily and can actually corrode alu when wet over long periods. Also it does not harm you or wood and is not easily washed away.

Thread Information