Administrator
    Blog Entries

Fitting a 24mm NATO/Zulu band to a Casio 5600 series G-Shock....

Those folks with G-Shocks will know of the problem with fitting NATO style straps - basically the lugs on a G-Shock are usually about 16mm - 18mm apart. That makes for a strong anchor point because the springbar doesnt have to bridge a wide gap, but it means fitting 3rd part straps is a bit tricky. A regular NATO stap of 18mm width would look ridiculous on a G-Shock, but what can you do?

Well, one answer if to fit special adapters which allow you to fit wide watch bands, but I think still look bad and they cost too. Another alternative is to mod the strap. You can cut the part that goes between the lugs with a scalpel of similar, but it's an untidy solution. One neater solution, is to use a hole punch and punch out holes in the strap that will allow you to "thread" the watch onto the strap. I've done this before and it worked well so I thought I'd photograph it this time. Unfortunately I completely screwed up the camera settings, so my pictures are very blurred, sorry about that. I dont have another strap to do it again, so they will have do, but I think they are good enough to see what's going on.

First up, tools....

What is needed is a spring bar tool, an absolute must I'm afraid, but they are only a coupole of quid, alternatively you can make one by cutting a V into the end of an old flat head electrical screwdriver. I'm also using a leather punch that makes about 3mm holes. You could make one by sharpening a length of steel tube with a similar diameter.

As you can see I'm using a 5 ring Zulu strap, but i already have one, so I'm going to cut off the tab to turn it into a 3 ring strap. First job is just to cut the tab off and seal the cut end with a flame to stop it fraying.

That done, you need to put the strap onto your wrist and marke the center point where the watch will sit - the watch wont slide on the band so you have to figure out where to put it. Then line up the middle of the watch with this mark. You can now mark where to punch the first two holes....

After you made the holes, touch over them with the flame of a turbo lighter or similar to seal them. You can now thread the springbar through these two holes. It's tricky, but it works...

This will allow you to mark exactly where to put the next two holes. This is an important step, it's hassle, but if you dont do it, you run the risk of putting the holes in the wrong place.

Holes all made, in the right place and sealed up, we can now thread the springbars...

...and that's it. Job done. Here you can see the watch with it's new 3-ring strap next to one I did with 5 rings - exactly the same technique.

With the 5 ring strap you just have to make the holes much closer to the buckle, but it works just the same...

Next, try the strap for length and using a 2p, mark an arc to cut the end down to size. Again, seal with a flame after cutting.

Good to go...

Sorry about the bad pics. Though it did give me an opportunity to test out the video camera on me iphone....

δxδp≥h/4π

Re: Fitting a 24mm NATO/Zulu band to a Casio 5600 series G-Shock....

nice one: i'm sure i've got a spare zulu somewhere, i'll be giving that a go. Was it your idea
    "When cooking on a camp fire it must be cool enough to cook on so it needs to burn down to coals, at least in parts. It is customary to drink beer while waiting for the fire to cool down.
    I recommend starting with a very big fire"

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fast but dim View Post
    Was it your idea
    I've never seen one done before. I modded a nato strap for a Seiko by cutting notches into it a couple of years ago, which gave me the idea of modding the strap, but they would have been deep cut notches on this, so I just thought punching holes would work better.
    δxδp≥h/4π

banned

That tool box is disgustingly tidy !!

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marcus2 View Post
    That tool box is disgustingly tidy !!
    Brand new mate, that's why. I've accumulated a fair bit of watch bits and thought I best put em all in a box.
    δxδp≥h/4π

banned

I always start with the best of intentions to keep things tidy but it sadly fall at the first fence

That's a great idea... but I have that same G and it's on the bracelet which I really love and don't want to replace.

So, I can solve this problem by buying another G-shock and blaming it on you. Sorted
    Don't straddle what you can't ride... Follow me @DrNuph on Twitter :)

Oh, I'm shopping!
    Don't straddle what you can't ride... Follow me @DrNuph on Twitter :)

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nuphoria View Post
    That's a great idea... but I have that same G and it's on the bracelet which I really love and don't want to replace.

So, I can solve this problem by buying another G-shock and blaming it on you. Sorted
    No worries, you need a spare anyway.
    δxδp≥h/4π

Thread Information