I will never live it down...

Re: The Poliwog has landed

Quote Originally Posted by Danzo
    That'll be 'that'll'.............

Danzo

I thought that looked odd...Touche mon ami
    " I never said that." Albert Einstein.

Aaah perfection...so desirable....so elusive...

That Ball-lock ( careful use of type spacing required) is a work of engineering genius! My only aesthetic reservation is the tiny plunger spring required.

And does the spine and back of handle describe an arc of a circle? I'd love that to bits if it was a little bigger for my slightly oversize paws -and I think I'd clad it to simplify the handle appearance and add to comfort.

As it is though, it's growing on me as a gentelpersons's waistcoat pocket folder. Might look good on a watch chain...has Eric just invented the Fob Knife?

Rats ....no lanyard hole

Account Closed

Quote Originally Posted by Basemetal
    Rats ....no lanyard hole
    You could use the smallest cutout hole (the one near the clip) as a lanyard hole, as when the knife is closed the blade still sits above it.

Danzo

Thanx for the kind comments Danzo, and thanx for the pics Paul.

As the General mentioned, the design is couple of years old. It took a while to "get it built right". The project was more of an "design excercise" than a model. Eric designed and engineered the piece. There are only a few major parts, but the fit"was more difficult than it might appear.

The original design was to have interchangable scales, blade shapes and colored clips and balls. It was to come as a kit. One could "build" their knife each day. G-10, Almite, Titan, etc. on the scales. Drop point, lamsfoot, etc on the blades. Now that we've figured out how to build it, if reaction is acceptable, we might go ahead a develop.

It will be fun to watch reaction in the market place, which will no doubt range from one exteme to the other.

At Spyderco, we believe that variety of design, while retaining hi-function keeps the models interesting.

Thanx much for the interest.

sal

Trader

You could use the smallest cutout hole (the one near the clip) as a lanyard hole, as when the knife is closed the blade still sits above it.

Danzo

Could you custom make a a bail to sit under the rear bolt, either instead of or as well as, the pocket clip?
    Make make it look a bit more gentleman-like.

banned

For me the Pollywog has just enough about it to make it interesting without being OTT.

Now where is that review Danzo????

Account Closed

Quote Originally Posted by sal
    The original design was to have interchangable scales, blade shapes and colored clips and balls. It was to come as a kit. One could "build" their knife each day. G-10, Almite, Titan, etc. on the scales. Drop point, lamsfoot, etc on the blades. Now that we've figured out how to build it, if reaction is acceptable, we might go ahead a develop.
    Sal, I think that would be a fantastic idea. The Poliwog may look a little strange in pictures but I would challenge anyone who loves knives not to be won over by it immediately on handling it. It just makes you smile.

The ability to customise the knife yourself would be an added bonus that I would welcome with open arms.

Danzo

Sal, I think that would be a fantastic idea. The Poliwog may look a little strange in pictures but I would challenge anyone who loves knives not to be won over by it immediately on handling it. It just makes you smile.

The ability to customise the knife yourself would be an added bonus that I would welcome with open arms.

Danzo
    It does have a certain attraction Danzo, and I must say that the fit and finish are about the best I've seen lately. Can very easily picture myself swapping scales and blades if that option ever comes to be.

Far as the idea of a bail, a fixed bail would almost certainly work, less sure if a free swinging one would, as the screw may be holding the back end together as well and need to be snug. Wondered also if the hole could be reamed out a bit, and a larger hollow screw (smaller version of the "barrel bolt" clip mount on some of the FRN models) could be used to allow for a fob.

One more picture, this a shot of it closed. Pardon the dust, maid's decade off and I sometimes forget that I should not take photos for at least an hour after running the vacuum.

Paul
    My Website -- Kiwimania
    Discourage IP theft - Boycott Benchmade!!!
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.

Fantastic, looks like a really nice bit of engineering. Definitely on my wish list

Now I've seen the size, thanks Paul, I'm a lot more taken with it than I was. This is going to have to go on the list!!

Unfortunately, an anticipated career change with a corresponding drop in salary, my list is just getting longer!
    "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."- Sir Winston Churchill.

Account Closed

Quote Originally Posted by The General
    Now where is that review Danzo????
    I forgot Mrs D had a flying lesson today. Now there's a phrase you don't hear too often. It will be a day or two now as I have a night class to taech tomorrow.

Paul, may I use some of your pictures in the review? Your photographic skills are a tad better than mine!

Danzo

Thanks for the pics and the comments. The knife is interesting (to say the least). I easily see it used by the Enterprise crew.

Thread Information