Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    banned

Full text of 1996 discussion in parliament Offensive weapons act

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Re: Full text of 1996 discussion in parliament Offensive weapons act

Frances Lawrence, the widow of murdered headmaster Philip Laurence, made a very true statement when she said: "A knife is an inanimate object, and it needs a human being to invest it with murderous properties.
    δxδp≥h/4π

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Prosecutions for the offence of carrying a knife in public with intent to use it rose sharply, from nearly 1,000 to 3,367, between 1993 and 1994.
    δxδp≥h/4π

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Lady Olga Maitland:

Scotland had a successful amnesty called Operation Blade, from which Strathclyde police had a haul of 4,569 knives. Such amnesties should be encouraged, because, although some people will maintain that the binned knives were probably not from criminals, who are we to know or guess? However, it is certain that the binning of those 38,000 knives means that 38,000 people are less likelyto become victims of knife attacks. We owe it toMr. Lawrence, Sergeant Robertson and all the other good, decent people who, one way or another, are the victims of stabbings to take tough measures against those who, for whatever twisted reasons, carry knives and are prepared to use them.
    Sorry Lady Olga, utter rubbish!
    δxδp≥h/4π

banned

a matter of perception, after some highlighted cases, occurrence of people carrying blades were probably jumped on because the system saw it through the perceptions of fear that media highlighted events helped to magnify and exagerate. people were probably jumping at shadows and intent can be a grey area. we see what we want to see sometimes

Account Closed

I shall now go and kill myself, as should all of you. Under Lady Maitlands logical analysis we, as men, are all capable of killing women. So lets stop our potential now shall we? Hey, what about boy babies?

Lets take a look at Lady Olga Maitland shall we?

Well no. She sues an awful lot about allegations of her huge frauds but as this is Martyns site I won't start.

: Bad Titled Women

Danzo

banned

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn
    Sorry Lady Olga, utter rubbish!
    total B cks ......... every home must have about 2 dozen "weapons" should someone have the intent to use them as such ... there are probably 10s of millions of knives in the UK, if not 100s of millions ........and she thinks 38,000 is going to make a difference? fantasy

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Mr. Barry Porter (Wirral, South): On the problem of young people carrying knives, many years ago, when I was in the scout movement, I carried a sheath knife to whittle sticks, skin rabbits, or whatever scouts did in those days. Will members of respectable organisations, such as the scout movement, or perhaps Army cadets, who may well carry a bayonet or something in the course of their activities, be affected by the Bill; or would the fact they are members of such highly respectable organisations constitute a "lawful authority" or "reasonable excuse"?

Lady Olga Maitland: I can reassure my hon. Friend. Such people would be covered by having a "lawful authority" or "reasonable excuse". The Bill applies to people who are clearly carrying knives without a lawful excuse. There is an enormous gulf between the two, and I would not want members of the public to fear that the Bill will interfere with the legitimate carrying of knives.

The hon. Member for Cardiff, South and Penarth mentioned banning the sale of knives. I have here some newspaper coverage from which we should take heart.It shows that many shop owners are calling for a clear ban on the sale of knives to youngsters, because it would make their lives easier. Both The Daily Telegraph and the Daily Mail have carried out extensive investigations in that regard.

Illicit knife-carrying is an unmitigated evil, but I recognise that some people may have a good reason to carry a knife, and their position is fully safeguarded under section 139 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988. To clarify the matter, it is a defence to prove that one has a good reason or a "lawful authority" to carry a knife.

Perhaps a man needs one for his work. He may be a carpenter with a bag of tools containing a knife, or a carpet layer. He may be carrying a knife because he is on the way to his allotment to cut cabbages. Men carry knives for religious reasons, such as Sikhs, who carry ceremonial daggers, or as part of national dress--for example, a Scotsman in full Highland dress, bearing a skean dhu.

Interestingly, I received a letter from English Heritage, which pointed out that its members have a legitimate reason for carrying knives when historic battles are re-enacted. English Heritage is anxious that, when members and followers are dressed in full traditional historic costume, carrying a variety of knives and blades, it might be misunderstood and construed as a criminal act. The letter mentions that, when police officers stop participants, the fact that the knives are intended as part of a re-enactment of an old battle and that they are safe after all needs a bit of explaining.

Mr. Fabricant: Is my hon. Friend aware that there were no arrests in Staffordshire in 1988-89 for offences concerning knives, which is reassuring, because, as she will be aware, every year the Civil war battles are re-enacted in Lichfield and knives are carried?

Lady Olga Maitland: I thank my hon. Friend for pointing that out. It is a good illustration of the fact that knives can be carried in a legitimate context.
    δxδp≥h/4π

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Lady Olga Maitland: I want to continue dealing with the important point raised by the hon. Member for Cardiff, South and Penarth, which we should discuss further in Committee. Should we, indeed, extend the ban to include, for example, Rambo and combat knives? I cannot imagine that they have any legitimate use; I would not use them to cut up onions.
    I'm guessing the good Lady probably wouldn't use an axe to fell atree either, but does that mean they should be banned? What about collectors? What about scouts, the TA, hobbyists (bushcrafters) etc...

Just because Lady Olga doesnt feel inclined to own one, doesnt mean no one else should either.
    δxδp≥h/4π

banned

very applicable ... my tool bags have a number of knives and i am regularly travelling around the Greater London area on tubes and such with tool bags. I think I might print that bit out and carry it in my wallet.

banned

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn
    I'm guessing the good Lady probably wouldn't use an axe to fell atree either, but does that mean they should be banned? What about collectors? What about scouts, the TA, hobbyists (bushcrafters) etc...

Just because Lady Olga doesnt feel inclined to own one, doesnt mean no one else should either.
    of course it does...... lady olga is a role model that we should all aspire to be .. we all want to be lady olga !!! like

Account Closed

I gotta cab waiting to go and drink heavily but ....'to go and cut cabbages' ......

Lets grow cabbages!

Aaaaarggh gotta run...

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Perhaps we should send Lady Olga an email and invite her to take part in a discussion on here. We could call it, "protecting society or the erosion of civil liberties" Discuss:
    δxδp≥h/4π

banned

that Ché picture has gone to your head Martyn you changed it back too quickly

I spilt my coffee reading this part. It looks like Mr. Fabricant has a sense of humour.

Mr. Fabricant: Although I share my hon. Friend's concern, I need some reassurance. I, like many others, carry a penknife. Would it be illegal under her Bill?

Lady Olga Maitland: No. A penknife that is less than 3 in long, especially if folded, is safe and can be carried in public without fear. Of course, if it were being carried in a threatening way--

Mr. Fabricant: Like this?

Mr. Deputy Speaker (Sir Geoffrey Lofthouse): Order. The hon. Gentleman must close his knife and put it away immediately.

Thread Information