Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

'Alpin' French Regional Pocket Knife

So I've had this knife for a couple of years but today I had the urge to do a little thread about it. So if your interested read on - :-)

It's call 'La Alpin' and is from the Alpes region of france. It was a limited run made by the French Sabatier company. It was a patent design from their own historic archive. A historic remake if you will, given a slight modern twist (the file work)

The handle is made from Corsican Pepper Wood, which I know little about and even google comes up blank. The unique thing about it is the aroma that it gives off. It smells just like pepper, but more sweet than black pepper. Quite a unique smell! In-fact my user name was inspired by it. When I first joined my name was taken so I sat at my desk trying to think up a user name while periodically snorting at my knife handle. And then it came to me. So not what another user thought, that I keep my knives in my sock draw!

The steel is 12c27 which you will find on most quality French knives. And the blade is just a tad over 3".

Considering how much I love French knife design, this is the only French knife I that actually own. But I am very interested French regional Knives and often look at pictures and read up on them. It's interesting that nearly every region in France has it's own pen knife. And you can tell from the shape of the knife from where it came.

Well thats about it. I hope you enjoyed this little thread and if your interested in regional French knives have a look at this site for more info (may need to translate in with google) http://www.couteaux-jfl.com/lames.htm
    Last edited by My knife smells; 10-05-11 at 04:36 PM.
    "An Onion Ripple is not an ice cream flavour to scare the children and delight the French" - Danzo

VIP Member

Re: 'Alpin' French Regional Pocket Knife

I'm liking the Marque 74 Saint Joanis Mondière
    Mess with nature at your peril for you are small and biodegradable

Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    I'm liking the Marque 74 Saint Joanis Mondière
    Yeah it is a nice one. A bit like this minus the spike. http://www.couteaux-berthier.com/bou...=lg_us&num=201
    "An Onion Ripple is not an ice cream flavour to scare the children and delight the French" - Danzo

VIP Member

That Alpin is a lovely pattern

If I could find one I'd buy one

The GR stamp, with the crown. What does that refer to?

(I like that Rumily)

Maker

Very nice folder - and a very nice posting - thanks for sharing

VIP Member

fantastic knife, great pics. I love the Alpin.
    Carver of bowls, always looking for bits of tree...
    Collector of American slip joints.

VIP Member

Lovely knife; I want one!

Thanks for the feedback guys

Quote Originally Posted by Noddy View Post
    That Alpin is a lovely pattern

If I could find one I'd buy one

The GR stamp, with the crown. What does that refer to?

(I like that Rumily)
    I'm not sure about the GR stamp. I've tried to find out about it but with not much luck. It's listed on this page: http://www.couteaux-jfl.com/marques.htm second block 54th stamp down.

And actually you can buy one...or somewhat confusingly something very similar. At first glance it looks identical, but the width of the handle seems different. It could just be the photo though. http://www.art-et-couteaux.com/alpin...,4,ALP-AMO.cfm Even though they have no less than 11 different handle types, they don't have the pepper wood. Where I brought mine from they also had a limited run Laguiole's also from Sabatier's historic archive and that to was in Corsican pepper wood. It was called the 'Laguiole Lotus'. Again, I've see almost identical one for sale but with minor differences... Here is their full selection of Alpins http://www.art-et-couteaux.com/bouti...g_us&mot=alpin I like the Snake wood myself :-) The prices are about the same as I paid - think I paid 90 euros for mine. But it is worth every penny. Quality hand made pocket knife that will last a life time :-)

Edit: I wish I'd never found that site I linked too, they have some cracking knives on there! Desperately trying to resist the urge of inputing paypal details....must resist...
    Last edited by My knife smells; 11-05-11 at 02:44 AM.

VIP Member

Cripes that Thiers Issard in boxwood is a challenge to resist. I have a couple of Issards in X75C - great things they are

VIP Member

Could the scales on that be juniper? I have one of these http://www.sabatier-shop.com/pocket-...od__10134.html and it has a peppery smell.

Very nice photos. Its a lovely little knife. Thank you for posting this thread.

I think 'La Alpin' is really beautiful, thanks for the posts. I'd like to see more knives like this on BB.
    Think Once
    Post Twice

Quote Originally Posted by mikew View Post
    Could the scales on that be juniper? I have one of these http://www.sabatier-shop.com/pocket-...od__10134.html and it has a peppery smell.
    I suppose it could be. It does look similar. Mine was sold and came with a slip saying Corsican Pepper wood. Maybe thats just another name for juniper? The aroma is very strong. Glad everyone enjoyed the thread :-)

very much like opinel...Nice knife

This is indeed an exquisite pocket knife: elegant, useful, non-aggressive, understated. I love it.
    The handle is almost certainly juniper wood which has indeed that kind of texture and that splendid peppery smell.

Thread Information