Thread: New Scales.

VIP Member

New Scales.

Hello,

I have had this little handy knife for a while, it was a steal from ebay...and has served me well, recently the 'dymondwood' scales cracked, and fell apart, so i took them off 'completely' and sat and wondered about how to make custom scales.

I have read extensively here on the forums, and took advice from Zed. The knife i feel is poor quality steel, and to spend more money on a new handle than the knife costs, would be fairly pointless. The problem, is that it comes in a really snug 'cross drawer' sheath 'pouch', which is hidden, on my belt under my shirt, and can be accessed quicker than a folder in my pocket etc, so for little cuts throughout the day it was perfectly designed.

I have aquired a set of 'stag antlers' today, which came from the West coast of scotland, plus i have access to lots of different wood, i have read that brass or coper rods are fairly cheap and effective to use....... Any advice please....
    Last edited by manofthewood; 04-10-05 at 08:01 PM.
    Soil for legs, Axe for hands, Flower for eyes, Bird for ears, Mushroom for nose, Smile for mouth, Songs for lungs, Sweat for skin, Wind for mind

Nanao Sakaki
    (C20th Japanese poet)

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy [Tom Waits]

Re: New Scales.

Looks like a lovely little knife to me.

The wood/antler of your choice & some brass rod would do the job perfectly - depending on the size of the holes somewhere like B&Q or a local model shop will probably have some suitable brass.

If the blade holds a good edge then thats what counts really.

Do post some pics of the new handle.

Bear in mind that antler can be a little more tricky than wood because of the pourous middle region, take care not to expose too much of it & use glue to seal any that is.

Hope it goes well.
    Edgehog

A bird in the hand, shepherds delight.

Account Closed

Hi mate, could you resize the picture please as it's huge!! think about the poor souls on dial up 600 pixels wide normally does it. I would probably go for wooden slabs for your first go as I found it simpler than antler and antler really REALLY stinks when you work it Narsil's done a really good full tang tutorial, give it a go as you have nothing to lose and with a little bit of time and elbow grease you have something that not only gives your knife a new lease of life, but a huge amount of satisfaction as well
    Last edited by MotorbikeMan; 04-10-05 at 07:30 PM.

VIP Member

resized pic:
    Soil for legs, Axe for hands, Flower for eyes, Bird for ears, Mushroom for nose, Smile for mouth, Songs for lungs, Sweat for skin, Wind for mind

Nanao Sakaki
    (C20th Japanese poet)

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy [Tom Waits]

Thread Information