Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nieto Knives

Nieto Knives

I picked up a new knife today as it looked like a reasonable Bushcrafter . It is made by a company called Nieto in spain and is handcrafted from 440c stainless (thats what it says on the blade). It has a full length tang and a half decent leather sheath . I am not sure what the wood scales are but they are what caught my eye . Has anyone heard of these knifes before ? if so what are your opinions on them ? I would have put up some photos but they came out very blurred (will try again tomorrow when there is more light).
    Cheers
    Pumbaa
    Last edited by The General; 11-12-05 at 10:22 PM.

Re: Nieto Knifes

I've had one for years and it a perfectly good knife. Spanish company I think, or at least, I bought it in Spain. I think it was incredibly good value for money considering how inexpensive they are.
    Hepotec says: It's not big or clever to be six foot four and in mensa.......

My secret identity
    http://www.thehistorypress.co.uk/pro...t-Kingdom.aspx
    Shhhh. Don't tell anyone!

Found a picture on the net , and its bloody cheaper !!
    http://www.saddler.co.uk/acatalog/Ni...fe_HK8950.html

Pumbaa

Quote Originally Posted by Pumbaa
    Found a picture on the net , and its bloody cheaper !!

Pumbaa
    Time to practice the 'I've had it for ages face'...
    Someone somewhere warms up with your one rep max.

Trader

they only use 440C hollow grind blades so if you want that then they are ok but I don't get on with hollow grinds much. 2 shops in sheffield stock these so I've seen quite a few of them. I'm not sure if it was a special offer but I saw a small adventure knife for 13.
    I do have the issue with my lock knife that the blade can hit against the handle when closing if your not careful.

Anyone fancy a passaround?
    WARNING contents of this post may not be consistant with reality
    Please copy and paste the following to taste !,'.()"";:?

Account Closed

Looks got Pumbaa, you can't complain for that money either

I guess (hope) it's 'good form' to reanimate older posts, rather than start new ones ... but that said, rather than wait for an answer ... hung for a sheep as a lamb, I guess ...

This would appear to be the distributors' page for these knives. I had a very quick look at one today, (but had to move the car and the shop'd shut by the time I got back), it looked pretty good value for the price (24.00).

I'm looking out for a kinda field / bushcraft knife to carry out whilst on the estate to do ongoing quick bit's of interim maintenance on gates and fencing (including some levering no doubt), taking cuttings and samples of saplings, bark & fungi, and for light splitting duties (for my cup of tea !), plus I need something that I wouldn't be squeamish about using - and these look like they might do the job a treat. (I won't need it for dressing game, I don't mean 'estate' in quite that way, although being stainless it should be ok for that too, I'd guess ?).

No substitute for my billhook on bigger jobs of course, but something that I can use on smaller or more everyday jobs (or quick overnighters). Would probably benefit from some modding out, as I found the back of the blade had a kinda grooved 'grip' that felt a bit harsh on my ikle hand, but maybe that's just me being soft.

Have you formed any views on yours yet Pumbaa ?

Account Closed

I've had a look at Pumbaa's knife, and I have to say, for the money I was actually very impressed. Pumbaa had been using it relatively heavily but seemed to have no problems with the edge, infact he'd got a really good edge on it. I'm sure Pumbaa'll be along to soon to give a fuller idea of what it's like.

I really like my nieto , infact i prefer it to my mora !! I know its hollow ground , but that hasn't proved a problem yet . It has a much better handle than the mora , so i know my hand wont slip up the blade . I have heard that stainless is more difficult to sharpen , but this nieto took an edge real easy . I have battoned it through some thin logs (3 1/2in) with no trouble and it kept its edge . I have not tried any fine carving with it , but then i have a tool roll full of wood carving chisels for that .
    All in all , not a bad knife . It might not have the reputation of the mora , but it works for me .
    Pumbaa

Quote Originally Posted by Pumbaa
    It might not have the reputation of the mora , but it works for me .
    Pumbaa
    Isn't that what really matters in the end?

Thanks for the encouraging comments. The shop was shut today, but I now know when they are open 'till (which would have been a useful thing to have known on Saturday of course).

I suppose this is how it starts isn't it, little slips and slides here and there ?

if you look in that catalogue, they also do a pakkawood handled model with a bolster for £36.95 ref :HK9014
    A man without a Knife is like a Fish without Water

Account Closed

I thought I would revive this thread as I had the chance to handle one of these yesterday, that Diamond Dave had bought at a fishing shop in Belper, Derbyshire.

It was very similiar to this model, although the blade was shorter and more 'bushcrafty' than in this pic:

http://www.saddler.co.uk/acatalog/Ni...fe_HK8908.html

Actually the blade was quite close to this one, but probably an inch shorter:

It struck me as a very usable knife, and a real bargain at around £25.00. The handles are olive wood and comfortable to hold, and the blade is 440C. As Steel Whores we go on about the latest uber-steels, but as most of those who know much more about steel types than me will agree, it's difficult to find a better general purpose easy to use and maintain steel than 440C. The knife is described as 'handcrafted' which I imagine means partially assembled by hand.

I really liked this knife and I think I'll be getting one soon. If you want a wooden handled full tang fixed blade at a very reasonable price I think you might be hard pushed to beat these Nietos.

Danzo

Re: Nieto Knives

i had have bought about 25 pcs of different kind of neito last year .
    i find that its quality is b to c grade ,certainly its price are competitve .
    one folder is off quaility ,the shapening blade had not have yet been finished .
    the wooden knives are quite beautiful.
    one should be mentioned that the rubber small straight knife is light in weight & cheap. i like the item.
    anyway, as steel is 440c, price is very reasonable.neito can be ordinary use but not in strict condition.

Re: Nieto Knives

Quote Originally Posted by HARDMETAL View Post
    i had have bought about 25 pcs of different kind of neito last year .
    i find that its quality is b to c grade ,certainly its price are competitve .
    one folder is off quaility ,the shapening blade had not have yet been finished .
    the wooden knives are quite beautiful.
    one should be mentioned that the rubber small straight knife is light in weight & cheap. i like the item.
    anyway, as steel is 440c, price is very reasonable.neito can be ordinary use but not in strict condition.
    Perhaps someone can help me out here. I was given an El Gran Cazador ( 11 cm long blade, model 2001) There is no chimping on the spine.
    How can I find out more info? I email the manufacturer but no reply. Is there a way to post pictures to this forum?

Thread Information