Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Primus Micron Lantern

I see there are 2 versions of these. Either mesh cage, or glass bowl. I presume the mesh version is a tad more rufty tufty and the glass one is a bit brighter. Are there any other differences? Does anyone have any opinions or experience of either?

Info
    Quoth the server: "404."

VIP Member

Re: Primus Micron Lantern

i have the mesh version, and although i have no experience of the glass option, it performs excellently.
    i used to use a Coleman twin mantle lamp, and though the difference in light on paper might be quite considerable, in practice i noticed very little actual difference. i have also owned a generic glass globe lantern that runs off the same gas canisters as the micron, and again, negligible difference.
    in a tent, especially a 2 man, the heat the light gives out is sufficient to not need a separate heater, and with a bit of balancing, a metal cup of water/food can also be heated up - although i believe an adapter can be bought for this purpose(or a Heath-Robinson jobbie should be easy enough to put together)
    it's also pretty economical on the gas, as the output is easily adjusted, and the ignition system is easy to operate, even with gloves on.
    altogether, it's a great light, and i would say get the mesh version, as the 100 or so extra lumens being thrown out by the glass version would be largely dissipated in the open, and wouldn't even be needed in a tent
    If you love something, set it free.
    Unless it's a tiger.

Administrator
    Blog Entries

I had one (mesh version) at last years Lake discrict meetup Andy, and the year before too. I like em a lot. They put out a nice warm light, a pleasant hiss, quite a bit of heat and last a surprisingly long time on one 100g cannister. The mesh version is best for use inside a tent rather than outside, as the mesh offers no wind or weather protection. The glass version is probably better suited to outside. What are you thinking of using it for?

As Gorilla says, witha bit of balancing, you can even brew up on them....

Good kit and a good companion to the optimus crux...

δxδp≥h/4π

Administrator

Dunno about the primus but i bought a Markill Astro recently and it's a good job.
    I looked at a few different gas lamps and i was a wee bit worried about the glass but mojo's Markill seems to be lasting ok so it's a fairly robust wee thing

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Markill-9249.../dp/B000G4YR4A

VIP Member

Whats the fuel consumption on one of those lanterns?

I'd probably want to use it as much as a camp light as a tent light. A bit worried about the fragility of the glass, but if Mojo hasnt broken his yet, there must be a reasonable hope for them. Tent heating and getting a free brew is a bonus. I suppose the glass one will also do this?

Having said that, a bit of tin foil would probably sort out most weather issues.

That Markill does look good/tempting though.
    Last edited by ANDYLASER; 13-08-11 at 09:50 PM.

VIP Member

that Markill looks overpriced to me - there are numerous examples of much cheaper options, like this one.
    43 is hard to justify IMO
    Unless it's a tiger.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by gorilla View Post
    that Markill looks overpriced to me - there are numerous examples of much cheaper options, like this one.
    43 is hard to justify IMO
    I had a Gelert, the piezo packed in quite quickly, exchanged it for another which did the same thing, you get what you pay for.

VIP Member

I have a Primus Easylight and they are currently on sales here:

http://www.snowandrock.com/primus%20...p-product/4668

I had a mesh micron and moved it on because I think the glass ones are much better. I have a feeling that gorilla actually bought it.

I have a markhill astro too, thats what I had in the lakes, had it for several years and its taken a pounding, highly recommended.
    BB Landy Collector

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by rapidboy View Post
    I had a Gelert, the piezo packed in quite quickly, exchanged it for another which did the same thing, you get what you pay for.
    i stand corrected

and i did buy Mojos - one of my better buys
    Unless it's a tiger.

I've had the glass globe version for a while, good little lamp. That said its no better in construction or performance to
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GELERT-HAL...item23137e02b5 type which I also have.
    All the best
    Richard
    Retired bushcrafter, now happy camper
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5qqfsQGYus

Thanks chaps. I think I will get the Markill. Anything that is Mojo proof has to be pretty decent.

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rapidboy View Post
    Have to agree. I also have one of the glass Gelert lamps and it does work, but I dont trust it, the construction is noticeably inferior to the Primus, it feels cheap by comparison - which is exactly what it is. I would be tempted by the Markhill if I was after buying another, but I'm perfectly happy with the Primus. I've had it for a number of years, it's been used quite a lot and it's performed flawlessly. I can also light ciggies off the wire mesh.
    δxδp≥h/4π

VIP Member

I'm resurrecting this thread, 'cos I need a new gas lantern. I've just returned a "Dead on arrival" Gelert of the sort that's been linked to here. The shop asked if I'd like to swap it for a replacement, but that one was DOA as well, except the second one leaked gas in plentiful quantities when we tried it. I'm staying clear of cheap gas appliances for the moment. Shame really - it was nice and small.

Just figured people ought to know, as Rapidboy says, you get what you pay for.

I'm now trying to find a Markhill or a Primus.

Thread Information