Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Maker

Building a lifting tripod

I'm picking up a fly press from Stew in a couple of weeks.

I have a pallet truck for moving it but trying to sort out a way of lifting it vertically without spending too much.

Thought about using some 40x40 or 50x50 box section (whichever i still have stock of) to build a tripod with either a winch or block and tackle hanging underneath.

Any design ideas you guys can suggest, i've never done anything like this before.
    Need a way of joining them at the top so they open up

Also I'm guessing some mechanism to stop the legs splaying under the weight (some chain hooked mid way up the legs?)

Can i use a bit of 10mm threaded bar through the top of the middle leg, bent into a hook, to suspend the weight from?
    Last edited by Greenbeast; 13-10-11 at 08:39 AM.

VIP Member

Re: Building a lifting tripod

how big is the flypress, how heavy is it, how high are you lifting it, do you have head room,etc?

At my place I had a flypress (norton No6) delivered on the back of a pickup. The two of us gently slid it down to the ground along a couple of scaffold planks, then a tractor moved it to my workshop (the pick up got to about 100yds away and I don't have a pallet truck, not that it would work in the woods!). The tractor dropped it onto a board about 10yards from its final resting place and I used a lever to move it along the ground towards the table. That was easy, levers are great but you have a pallet truck for that bit.

The roof to my workshop is farily low so I couldn't build a tripod or gantry high enough to winch it up onto the bench and my roof is too light duty to use the rafters to hoist it from. So I lent a plank of oak against the bench and a cheapy handy winch to gradually pull the press up onto a 3foot high bench. It was easy enough to do even on my own, cost nothing and didn't have to build a structure that I had no later need for

I guess if you want to build a tripod it will need to be a good few feet higher than the total hieight of your press and the table (or truck back?), that means 50x50 might be ok if you have lots of bracing to stop it flexing and moving, but to be honest I'm not an engineer. Doubt a 10mm bolt would be good enough as a hook unless its a small press (in which case get a bar of metal through it and a couple of guys to lift the thing!)
    Don't just tickle it...

dave budd handmade tools knives, tools and courses makin' them! 2014 Course List NOW ONLINE!

Maker

Fair points.

It's a Norton 6 too. Having never moved it i don't know how difficult it's going to be.

I've just read back through my PMs and it seems he moved it at least partially on his own (board and rollers), perhaps i'm worrying unduly.
    We could possibly lever it onto the pallet truck and then over to the van, the building has steps up into it so we might be close in terms of height already.
    Few scaffold boards down and some manhandling....

VIP Member

Do you know a friendly builder, or failing that a local plant hire place, from whom you could obtain a genie-lift...........sounds like it may be ideal as it needs no headroom.

Builders use 'em on some of my projects to get steels up into the ceiling of a house where we have no headroom above that..........

I love not Man the less, but Nature more

It's not the years in our life that matter.......it's the life in our years

Maker

scaffolding and build a gantry so you have room to get the truck under used to make em up to lift car engines out
    bu then DAD is a builder so i had plenty of Scaffold poles and shackles (proper steel stuff )
    www: Dorset Woodland Blades ---------------------------- Sharp is not an optional Extra ----------------------------FaceBook Page For the latest stuff

VIP Member

If you are using the three poles idea, then the box section you mention will be OK or use scaffolding poles. Just flatten the top 4" or so and drill something like a 25mm hole through each one. Use a piece of 19mm studding or large bolt to loosely hold the 3 poles together, then you can set them out to a tripod and hang the block and tackle from the bolt or use strong rope.
    This is what I did when I lifted the front piston out of my power hammer. If you are worried about the legs slipping, weld some chain links to the bottom of the poles and tie them with rope.

Mick.

VIP Member

Whats wrogn with 3 or 4 lards and a coulp of scaff poles and just lifting the damn thing? 350kg really isn't that much between 4 guys.

Supa

Maker

Thanks mick

Supa - i don't know if we'll have 4 people, i only know for certain there'll be two of us

VIP Member

I use an engine hoist but beware, they are very unstable.

If you will a good edge win,
    temper thick and then grind thin.

Trader

Are you talking from mine or at your's or both for the lifting?

Maker

At yours, but i've not really given any thought to off-loading at my end

Trader

There are overhead beams where it's located. It took four of us to drag it in thee then I moved it upright with one rope and a few knots then moved with a board and three rollers....

Coca cola left some bits last week that might help with rolling it..

Maker

shall i bring winch/ block and tackle?
    we can lift it up a few inches and get it on the pallet truck to move it across the room, back the van as close to steps as poss then bridge the gap with scaffold boards/pipe (which i can bring)?

Trader

If you have block and tackle already then yeah bring them but don't get them specially for it - I have rope and carabiners and a fair knot knowledge to cope with making self locking pulleys set-ups.

Maker

ok cool, i'll see what i can rustle up but won't stress too much about it.

Thread Information