VIP Member

Skinth SP pouch by Eric Au (metropolicity on EDCF)

This is a quick review of my semi-custom sheath made by Eric Au (metropolicity on EDC Forums)

This is the Skinth SP (SP = Smart Phone) with the optional "pentapocket" upgrade

Contents:
    • Iphone 4 in Magpul case.
    • Uncle Bill's Sliver Grippers tweezers, (paracord loop added to make retrieval from the pocket easy)
    • Boker+ Vox Ti prytool, (paracord loop added to make retrieval from the pocket easy)
    • 4Sevens Preon 2 Ti flashlight
    • Titaner Ti "tactical" pen. (from Survival Depot)
    • Homemade "pouch" containing two extra long "finger" bandaids and two sterile alcohol wipes in case of minor cuts. ("pouch" was made from copier paper, held together and reinforced with sticky tape; and makes it easier to fish them out of the pocket on the sheath)

Absolutlety EXCELLENT quality stitching, with everything that needs to be box-sewn, double tacked or otherwise reinforced as needed. My one has a plain sewn on belt loop on the back, but he now offers a spring steel belt clip as an option... I went with the plain loop on this one as I was planning on carrying it in a pocket. I plan on getting another SP in a more subdued colour for work and will get the belt clip option on that one.

The only "trouble" is that the magpul case catches a little on the fold inside the pouch where the fabric is stitched together - just enough to make it not slide out smoothly. My next SkinthSP will have a pull tab in the phone pocket I think to aid removal. But that's a fault of my phone case with it's grippy ribs on the side, not the sheath!

Eric is a gentleman to deal with, has a very fast turnaround, and shipping time from Canada to the UK was good too. Most of the designs have come about from people on EDCF seeing his original Skinth design he made for himself and asking "can you do one that will carry x" - If it's a good idea, he'll make it, and if folks like it he'll add it to the range.

I have a Skinth XL on it's way already for my multitool and it's accessories, with side pockets sized for my Sunwayman V10R Ti or similar size torch and a mid-size locking knife. That one is coyote brown and features both horizontal and vertical belt loops so I can strap it onto my rucksack strap.

Eric also offers molle straps sewn on if you want them and you can customise to your hearts content pretty much - just shoot him an email about what you need to carry, with dimensions and he'll customise for you (with price adjustments obviously).

Price for this pouch was a very reasonable $50 including shipping (considering it's a one-man custom job).

I plan on getting a couple more of his pouches at least! another Skinth SP and a Skinth XL, both in black with belt clips for work wear, plus a Skinth TB (designed to carry a fire starting kit centred around an altoids tin) for camping

Eric's website for it is here - http://www.ericaustudios.com/index.p...p-smart-phone/, and you can order direct from there. No need to join EDC Forum if you want one and aren't a member there already.
    Last edited by TallNHairyDave; 07-02-12 at 01:24 AM.

VIP Member

Re: Skinth SP pouch by Eric Au (metropolicity on EDCF)

P.S. A Boker+ Subcom fits in the pocket that the pouch with plasters go in as if it was made for it... Needs a lanyard on it to make it easy to fish out again though

Trader

Looks great Dave ,
    a couple of questions though .

Do you know what the level of cordura is , 500 d or 1000d etc ?

Is there an alternative option to a velcro flap ? (Im not a bifg fan of velcro for openers )
    I make knives and sheaths My way , heres my Blog http://ru-titley-knives.tumblr.com/

Trader

double post . sorry !
    Last edited by Ru Titley; 05-02-12 at 01:52 PM.
    I make knives and sheaths My way , heres my Blog http://ru-titley-knives.tumblr.com/

VIP Member
    It's 1000d PU cordura, and he can do the flap with a SRB instead of Velcro...

He can also make it larger to suit bigger phones (it was designed for the iPhone)

I'd definitely recommend his work!

Trader

Thanks Dave, Ill check it out .

VIP Member

Thanks Dave, saw your review and now i've got a custom CP on the way but for a small moleskine instead of the spiral bound notebook and a samsung galaxy S2, should carry a lot slimmer

VIP Member
    Sweet! Another UK Skinth owner looking forward to seeing pics of your one!

I've got two in black on the way for work carry (an SP and an XL) and should be getting my XL for rucksack strap carry anytime soon.

I'll post photos as and when they arrive. The orange one will be for coat pocket / in rucksack carry once the work ones arrive.
    Last edited by TallNHairyDave; 05-02-12 at 11:04 PM.

VIP Member

Coyote brown Skinth XL arrived today and fits a treat on the strap of my rush 72

Photo to follow.

VIP Member

Sounds great Dave, looking forward to the pics, apparently my pouch design is going to be designated the JP (jotter) as it will hold a pocket moleskine

VIP Member

Just to sing Eric's praises a bit more, I dropped him a PM because it transpired that he'd sewn the velcro on my orange one the "wrong way round" - he'd put the hook side on the flap by mistake.

Wasn't a huge problem and didn't effect the quality of the rest of the sheath, except that I kept sanding my thumb knuckle on it getting the phone out. So I asked if I was to post it back to him if he'd be able to swap the velcro over.

His response? "Ooops. That was my mistake. Swapping the velcro is too much hassle as I'd need to take the pouch apart and then re-sew it together, so I'll make you a new one if you pay the postage."

Now that's what I call customer service!

The new one is going to have a couple of extra features added (which I paid for on top) so it can be used as a neck lanyard pouch for phone & pen or as a coat pocket organiser that's slimmer and more organised than the MaxP Pocket Organiser (and which I cannot overfill and end up with an overloaded pocket).

I'm well pleased
    Last edited by TallNHairyDave; 09-02-12 at 03:49 PM.

VIP Member

Dave would you be selling the old (incorrectly stitched) one?
    I no longer need a signature... I now have a chip and pin.

VIP Member
    I wouldn't feel right to as it doesn't reflect fully on Eric's work...

I might be persuaded though once its replacement arrives.

Thinking of which, I must take pics of the black work pair now I've been carrying them around for a few days and have got the load outs more or less sorted.

VIP Member

Perhaps a pass-around then? to give people a flavour of Eric's work? I've been eyeing the Skinth cases for a little while
    I no longer need a signature... I now have a chip and pin.

VIP Member

Good idea!

I shall start a thread for it.

Thread Information