Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    VIP Member

Re: Smokepole Mini Parang MK2 Passaround

on it's way to HTG - rmsd zx004742431gb

i love this knife!
    tbh, i haven't given it much of a test, as i have one coming from the gb, but i echo the sentiments that this has the potential to be one hell of a camp knife. it feels perfectly balanced in the hand, and as has been said, it handles food prep very well - i used it in the kitchen all week, and found it capable in all areas, including portioning poultry, fine slicing etc.
    mine will be off to longstrider as soon as i get it, as i feel that different edges on different parts of the blade would be ridiculously useful - i'm thinking fine at the tip, sturdy round the belly of the blade, and finer again at the handle - this will cover any job that i can imagine using it for, and i can see this being my main go-to knife whenever i'm out camping etc
    many thanks to Willem and Mr HM for the passaround, and i can't wait for mine to arrive!
    If you love something, set it free.
    Unless it's a tiger.

Account Closed

Thanks for that G, glad you liked it

VIP Member

So what did HTG make of this wee chopper?
    Last edited by Croyde; 05-04-12 at 09:13 PM.

Account Closed

I believe he's been a but busy so I think he's got something planned for the next couple of days sometime

Well...
    I got my hands on the Bayley S4 on passaround today so will run here two of em out over the weekend/bank holiday
    My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!

Paracord bracelets, keyrings and lanyards available for sale, pm me for details.

www.countrysideadventures.co.uk

Maker

Looking forward to that HTG!

Just an aside - I butchered and dressed a Springbuck this past long weekend using the Mini Parang I had made for my wife as part of this lot - and even if I have to say so myself, I was impressed - it did all I had envisaged when doing the design and chopping through ribs, joints and cartilage was just a pleasure - all the knives and choppers I needed in one package so to speak. I never used it for skinning or gutting as I'd forgotten to take it to the veldt with me, but plan to rectify that oversight in the next week or two.

Had a little play with this over the weekend and this morning
    Firstly thanks to Willem and Jon for organising this!

I tried it on a variety of tasks after giving it a bit of a strop to get it back as close to sharp as I could without attempting to sharpen it as I'm not overly competent at sharpening convex edges.

So onto slicing A4
    After a strop it is comfortably cutting paper with the exception of a couple of minor flat spots or dings around the belly of the blade
    These should be easily sharpened out given the proper sharpening skills but may have affected the performance of the knife for the benefits of my tests.

Feathering sticks.
    Worth pointing out at this time that it's tipping it down here in Glasgow so I had to make do with some dry wood I had in the form of a rather dry piece of wood I had in the house.
    However this same piece of wood was also used when testing the Bayley S4 from Nightfly on another passaround.
    Knife bites in easy enough and is pushed into the wood along the belly with relative ease however when trying to work close I'm having to bring my hand out and away from the handle and onto the bare section of the blade which although not ground is only leaving me with around 1/2" of leeway between end of my grip and the start of the grind.
    The way the shaping of the handle tapers into the blade this caused my hand to slide forward a couple of times and frankly scared the crap outta me on close work. Others might not find this a problem as to be fair the wood I was working with was very dry but I quickly moved onto tasks new.

Chopping.
    Comes into its own here with light sticks about and inch and half wide only taking a couple of blows to get through.
    Handle is very comfortable when have a full hold on it and just anough weight forward to allow chopping with confidence.

Breaking down coke can box.
    As a fan of soft drink coca cola I go through a couple of the 30 can supermarket multi packs a month.
    Using the smoke pole to break em down was fun but I was hindered slightly by lack of a sharp tip. Not exactly a bushcrafty type of task but as I'm confined to barracks by the weather was all I had to offer I'm afraid

Food prep.
    Used to chop up some carrots, swede and potatoes for some soup this coming lunchtime!
    Excellent for roughly getting the hard skin off the swede half, difficult to peel carrots and impossible to get a clean slice at the carrot. Didn't feel comfortable due to the size when at tampering to roughly peel the spuds.
    Eventually used the Bayley for the finer chopping tasks.

Conclusion.
    Nice wee knife for light chopping, lovely handle which when chopping is comfortable to use but I find the 3" section between handle and cutting edge a strange sort of no mans land
    I'd imagine would make light work rough chopping up a chicken carcass and cutting up beef for a stew but for my tasks cutting veg today it wasn't ideal.
    Like Ian mentioned it could benefit from a variety of edges along the length of the blade for different tasks.
    Thanks for the opportunity
    HTG
    My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!

Paracord bracelets, keyrings and lanyards available for sale, pm me for details.

Maker

Thanks HTG, I appreciate!

VIP Member

As i'm next on the list. i'm looking forward to recieving the parang.

Rob

Be postal tomorrow or Monday mate

VIP Member

The knife arrived today, thanks for the prompt posting, also it was extremely well wrapped.

First impresions are good, it has a nice shape & balance, with the scales being a good fit, & the wood is nicely figured. Would it be ok if i put some linseed oil on the scales as they seem a bit dry.
    The sheath is a good fit, & well made, holding the knife well, as shapes like this are difficult to keep secure. I had intended to compere the knife to a kukhri, but due to the size difference this would be unfair, so i will compere it to a Bernie Garland nesmuk & a Chevin camp knife. I have used both these other knives a fair bit, so i'm familiar with them, & size wise they are all a good match.
    I feel certainly on first looks, this is more of an updated nessie more than a parang, bringing the nessie in to the 21st century, so far i'm liking the looks, & the feel of it in the hand, it has arrived to late today for me to get out in the woods, so my next chance will be saturday afternoon/sunday morning. I'll take photo's, & hopefully my son will post them(i just can't figure it out)before he returns to base.

Regards,

Rob

Account Closed

Hi Dogman, I see no problem with oiling the handle, I'll check with Willem though and get him to post a reply as well

Maker

Rob, sorry, I missed this one, but I do hope that Mr. Happymoose let you know it is fine to oil the wood? Any more feedback, after the initial impressions?

Account Closed

How's it going Dogman??

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Happymoose View Post
    How's it going Dogman??
    Hi Jon, i've replied to your pm,

Regards,

Rob

Thread Information