Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Trader

Apocalypse Build along

Having exchanged a few PM 's with Riche'66 , We wanted to see if anyone else wanted to do either a KITH or perhaps a build along based on tools that may be required for an Apocalpse / Armageddon type event as it is possibley the Year for such things

tounges very much in cheeks here Folks .

We talked a fair bit about what kind of tools would possibley be needed , how they could be made and from what kind of Materials .

The consenus was that there would be possibley no electrical power , no access to heat treating faclities and that forging would only be realistic to a very select few people and as most people would possibley be generally on the move not really practical .

so the rules if anyone wants in on the project .

1. No power tools to be used .
    2. No HT required.
    3. No forging .

Any materials may be used but they must be either recycled , found or reclaimed.
    so recycled steel ,mild steel, iron , brass , plastics , glass , stone ,bone ,wood , tyre rubber , clothing / leather etc etc .

To keep things totaly legal no offensive weapons and please if You want to make something sharp /pointy from a non magnetic material please add a magnetic steel pin etc so theres no stealthy type issues folks .

So We thought about the basic criteria/ challenges for the tools , You can make one or as many as youd like to complete the challenges

which are (only some ideas, so please surgest more )

1. You must be able to point and notch joint a stick (either green or dead ) . think shelter building , traps and hunting / camp tools .

2. You must be able to cut rope and fabric . think clothing ,shelter building , making a improvised rucksack etc .

3. strip electrical flex cord , a good source of wire for snares / binding tools etc

4.You must be able to open a tin of Canned food .

5. the tools must be handled and sheathed for Your own protection .

6. the tools must be easily resharpenable with something as basic as a file .

If anyone else would like in please jump in with surgestions on either to make it a kith or a buildalong and please add to any requirements that You feel may be needed .

Ive never been part of a KITH so hopefully this is ok .
    Last edited by Ru Titley; 09-03-12 at 10:04 AM.
    I make knives and sheaths My way , heres my Blog http://ru-titley-knives.tumblr.com/

Account Closed

Re: Apocalypse KITH or Build along ?

Im in...

Trader

Thought You probably would be , any thoughts on requirements ?
    I make knives and sheaths My way , heres my Blog http://ru-titley-knives.tumblr.com/

Account Closed

Keeping it recycled with what can be scavenged keeps it simple.. you cant Ht or forge so it should make it open to everyone..

VIP Member

I'm deffo IN
    I can't promise to keep to a timescale ATM but will do a bit in between jobs.

I'm not entirely sure 'no HT' should be included , due to the fact we can make fire. But by all means if you don't have HT facilities forgo this step.

I'm currently pondering on the idea of making a blower that is 'by hand' powered , made from scrap.
    I will be taking this seriously.

Of course we want to see pics of the finished products , good bad or ugly we don't care ....this is not a fashion parade.
    Should the choice of materials used not be obvious you must be prepared to tell us.

No bought in materials unless you could scavenge it should the need arise.
    Last edited by Richie'66; 18-02-12 at 05:54 PM.
    'His knife see rustic Labour dight, An' cut ye up wi' ready slight, Trenching your gushing entrails bright, Like onie ditch;
    And then, O what a glorious sight, Warm-reeking, rich!' ..................Robert burns extract from the address to a haggis.

Account Closed

Perhaps if you can hand make tools to do the job they could be allowed.. wind powered grinder maybe?

Trader

Hey Man I just thought Id get the ball rolling ,as its technicaly Your Baby, so Your Rules .

There are quite a few Makers here who dont do their own Ht, I doubt the likes of Shing or Mick Wardell will be hanging around after said event of doom to do some HT . And it would give everybody on here with access to a hacksaw and and a file the chance to make something even if theve never made anything before .

VIP Member

Names so far;

Ru Titley
    MTG
    Richie'66
    'His knife see rustic Labour dight, An' cut ye up wi' ready slight, Trenching your gushing entrails bright, Like onie ditch;
    And then, O what a glorious sight, Warm-reeking, rich!' ..................Robert burns extract from the address to a haggis.

Trader

Well whats the thought on doing it as a Kith where everyone taking part gets somone elses project or should it be a build along where We keep our own ?

Account Closed

mystery swap around is a good idea

VIP Member

My worry is that someone may not be happy with my effort , of what is essentially going to be a rough looking knife. If everybody is OK with that then so am I.

Maker

To not exclude those smiths hoping to peddle their wares post apocalypse, how about forging can be done on hand powered forge made from recycled stuff? Iron age style?
    It doesn't get much simpler than this.
    I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    ― Robert A. Heinlein
    My homepage www.tanczos.co.uk
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tanczo...36677856352024
    Maker/Member of the KMA

VIP Member

when you say recycled, does that mean you can use things that you find in your shead like old chisels,saws and putty knives and such like ?
    i thought something fell out of a airoplane and hit me on the head, it turns out i had only been electrocuted on the foot my my lawnmower, ......and thats a true story

Trader

I hardly think Youl need to Worry Richie.

if the forgers want in then Ive no problems with that ,but I think that the issue should be that a tool can be made quickly whilest say on the move , the emphasis should be on using the materials that You could find in a mashed up world but at the end of the day its an open idea .

VIP Member

I am not sure if I have the time, I am very busy at the moment.
    I would like to try and have a go at this one.

I would like to see forging included, with parbajtor's idea of only home made non electric bellows but I would like to take it further and have only wood or home made charcoal as fuel (or coal if you have your own mine!).
    I also think that home heat treating can be done so easily with oxidisation colours over a fire It should be included.

Thread Information