Chambriard Le Compagnon and Le Compact...now I have all 3 Thiers knives!

See what your reviews have wrought Stephan! I was happily going along, quite content until I subscribed to your intoxicating reviews on You Tube. I am a French knife addict, or more precise, gentleman's folding knives lover. LOL! And I am happy to be so! Many thanks to you mate!
    I decided to get all three of the similar design folders...the Compact in Olive wood and the Companion in Norwegian Birch. I resisted getting all three in Juniper.

Both knives have the wonderful file work done by hand on the back-straps of the bolster/springs.

You can see that Le Compagnon is just a bit shorter than Le Trappeur but is more delicately built with a thinner, less broad blade of Sandvik 13C26 stainless steel steel. There is no lock as these knives are slip joints with nail-nicks on the blades. The springs are very strong and one has to take care to close the blades cautiously even with the built-in half-stops. Too, the blades if slammed shut will hit the back of the springs and may dull the edges. A design fault I can live with.

Each of the knives came with a fine leather pocket sheath...once again excellent quality pieces. More specs a little later. As always I change the edge geometry of all my knives and I will do so with these too. I will report back about all three edge refinements in another post.

Best to all
    Leo
    Last edited by Mitch; 06-03-12 at 07:10 PM. Reason: correction Sandvik 13C26 steel rather than 12C27 steel

VIP Member

Re: Chambriard Le Compagnon and Le Compact...now I have all 3 Thiers knives!

Beautiful knives Mitch; I really like all of those. And talking about slippies with file work, this one is winging its way to me right now:

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...*Now-Finished*

I have to make a correction here regarding the steel used in the blades of these Chambriard knives. I said it was Sandvik 12C27 steel but in fact it is the even better steel from Sandvik 13C26 Stainless Steel. This was a special steel they developed for razors and knives, optimized to take a superior edge and retain that edge longer with little threat of corrosion. This explains to me why I have managed to put a frighteningly sharp edge on these knives with my Wicked Edge Precision Sharpener...I expected very good and got excellent! The surprise was not that the WEPS did so well, it always does, but that the steel did so well and so easily.
    Good stuff from Sandvik.

Best to all
    Leo

Stop stop stop, they are indeed lovely knives, I succumbed to a wee Le Thiers model by Le Fidel, my excuse to the missus was it is UK legal for when we pop across the canal (as is the Mykul Morris etc, ) but this kind of temptatation deliberately pitched at those who have not should cease forthwith.....

Hognabinit, you've gone and done it, there's one in the fishing shop and the season opens shortly, a visit is unavoidable, I can see radical prices hikes in fishing bait for opening day looming

I agree with your comment on the springs, reassuring but pay attention!

*envy*
    I no longer need a signature... I now have a chip and pin.

That's a really cool trio, mate. I like them all and i'm really tempted to get one, or two....or three Thanks for sharing and the good pics!
    Cheers
    Harald

I really, REALLY, like that Le Trappeur... it's the only one with a lock, right ?

Right! Le Trappeur apparently was meant as the French version of a folder/hunting knife. And to be honest it is quite capable of doing those chores, but it would be the devil to clean up after caping a deer or the like. It is certainly suitable for most chores around the camp though. It is wickedly sharp...that 13C26 steel sharpens up well, holds an edge wonderfully and the lock is good and firm. It is really too pretty to use for gory duties. You would also have to do something with the wood handles to protect them...like applications of boiled linseed oil.
    The other two knives are slip joints and so no locks.

Leo

Nice spot of buying there, Leo. The do look pretty good together, eh?

VIP Member

I have the compact one with juniper scales and I love it. My only niggle is if you let the blade snap closed it hits the spring causing a dull spot near the tip.
    My Blog

- Click logo to visit site

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew View Post
    I have the compact one with juniper scales and I love it. My only niggle is if you let the blade snap closed it hits the spring causing a dull spot near the tip.
    Same here. One of my favourite EDCs though.
    It started with a K.I.S.S........Never thought it would come to this..

Thread Information