Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Knife, Axe, Tomahawk or whatever throwing thread.

Hello everybody,

I've had the okay to include the sport of throwing in this section of the Forum.

There has been some interest in throwing on here over the years and I thought I would try to expand that into one scetion.

For those that don't know me I am the organiser of the Knife, Axe, Tomahawk Throwing Association UK. I know this sounds very grand but we are only a group of like minded individuals who meet up at our 14 lane throwing lane near Pontefract, West Yorkshire, every fortnight. The details are on our website. If you cannot make any of the regular dates I live near to the range and can open up most weekdays.

For the past six years I have been throwing in tournaments in Europe and the USA.

I enjoy showing others how to throw and, if you are near enough, I would encourage you to come along to one of our meetings. If distance is too much for you to travel I am only too happy to share my knowledge with others to foster the fun ( and serious ) sides of throwing.

Fire away with any comments and questions, please.

Happy throwing.

VIP Member

Re: Knife, Axe, Tomahawk or whatever throwing thread.

Hi John, I have been interested in learning to throw for ages, unfortunately your 100 miles each way from me. Can you recommend a book or dvd that will get me started with the basics?
    thanks
    John

Hello John,

First of all thanks for the first reply ;-)

Yes, there are books and DVD's out there but I would urge you to visit us if you are at alll able. Like I said earlier if the regular meetings that we have are out I can open up the range most weekdays. I say this because you will learn a lot more in an hour of personal tuition than you will in weeks on your own. Plus we have lts of knives and axes for you to try out rather than buy and regret later.

But if you can't attend I would recommend the following DVD's, as opposed to books which are good to read but not very practical to learn throwing from.

Look for Jack Dagger, John Bailey, Mike Pearl or Throwdini. Some of these can be bought in the UK.

They will give you the basics.

At our meetings we recommend a knife at least 12" long for safety purposes. You will then be stood far enough away so as to avoid the inevitable knife that springs back when you first start.

I hope this helps.

Something has just occured to me in this age of litigation.

I take no responsibilty for any advice I give on this Forum.

Ideally, I would prefer to teach everyone in person but realise this is not possible.

So, if you do take any advice on here, please take proper safety precautions, which are detailed on our internet site, plus the legal aspect is also explained there.

I will say again I am not responsible for advice I give on here. The first rule of throwing is complete safety to others and yourself.

VIP Member

I would just like to add this little link of my experiences at the club

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...knife+throwing

I've been a member now for just over 2 years (seems like longer eh John?) and under Johns expert tuition i have progressed in leaps and bounds.
    We have kinds of (safe) fun at the site with all sorts of friendly competitions and challenges like long distance, mountain man throwing (at targets with playing cards not throwing men and a speciality at our club "Snife" a combination of snooker and knife throwing.

The pictures in the links are the "old" ranges. We have worked hard and the area is almost unrecognisable now (for the better!) and we have i think now 13 targets to throw at.

John is far too modest to mention but he has won many competitions in the USA and Europe. Another member is currently the World champion in tomahawk throwing.
    He has also taught 2 of Britain's best known actors to throw knives and has appeared himself on ITV's "Heartbeat" and the history channel.

We have people coming from all over the place on a regular basis (Liverpool, Edinburgh and 'darn sarf). While it may be a hike for some i can't recommend it enough to get some hands on experience. Books/DVD's can only take you so far before you need an experienced body there to help.

Come along, give it a go and i'll see you there!

Thanks, mate.

VIP Member

Hi John, just a couple of questions, what is the competition distance for throwing, the size of the target & the height of the target,

Thanks,

Rob

VIP Member

Hi Rob

John can answer some of this better than i but these are the rules for the International Knife Throwers Hall of Fame (IKTHOF).

Throws in Europe have different rules and targets and then just to confuse the issue more the American Knife Throwers Alliance (AKTA) use different rules as well.

Over here in our club- Knife, Axe and Tomahawk Throwing Association (KATTA) is a mismash of the American and European rules (The best of both we think!)

IKTHOF

World Championship Rules

Knife Throwing

All categories Expert, Intermediate and Novice throwers will throw 3 knives at 3 targets, 4 times total per distance for a total of 60 knives 15 knives on four separate ranges. Minimum distances are ½ spin (2meters 6ft.6 inches min.), 1 spin (3 meters 9ft 10 inches. min.), 1 ½ spin (4 meters 13 ft 2 inches. min.), 2 spins ( 5 meters 16 ft 5 inches. min.), 2 ½ spins ( 6 meters 19 ft.8 inches min.), and 3 spins ( 7 meters .). Targets will have 10 mm or 4 inch center (worth 5pts.), 20mm ring (worth 4pts.), a 30mm outer ring (worth 3pts.). A 40 mm ring worth 2 points. and a 50 mm ring worth 1 point. Knives are scored as they stick, and each thrower must have 3 knives of the same length and style.

Tomahawk throwing

All categories Expert, Intermediate and Novice throwers will throw 3 tomahawks at 3 targets, from 5 distances for a total of 60 tomahawks. Participants will throw a total of 15 hawks per session from 5 distances on four separate ranges. Minimum distances are 1 spin 4 meters all distances for the next 9 hawks for the one and a half spin, two spin, two and a half spin and three spin distances will be at the throwers discretion. Tomahawks must be at least 14 inches in length from the end of the handle to the poll of the hawk.

Long Distance Knife

Throwers will qualify from beyond the 5 meter or 16 ft 5 inch line. One stick out of five knives is required to continue. All throwers will have numbers. The lowest qualifying number will throw first and will throw five knives at the target from beyond the highest distance of the longest qualifying throw. One knife of the five is all that is required to set a new distance. The next qualifier will throw beyond that distance until a winner is determined.

Long Distance Hawk

Throwers will qualify from beyond to 7 meter line. One stick out of 5 Hawks is required to continue. All throwers will have numbers. The lowest qualifying number will throw first and will throw five Hawks from beyond the highest distance of the longest qualifying throw. One Hawk of the five is all that is required to set a new distance. The next qualifier will throw beyond that distance until a winner is determined.

Categories:

Total scores will be added at the end of the tournament and each thrower will be placed in a division according to the following schedule

Knives

0-99 Novice Division
    99-199 Intermediate Division
    200-300 Expert Division

Hawks

0-99 Novice Division
    99-199 Intermediate Division
    200-300 Expert Division

Targets will be 20 inches in diameter and made up of 5 concentric circles, Bull’s-eyes are 10mm or 4 inches and count as 5 points. 20 mm circles count as 4 points. 30Mm circle is worth 3 points, 40 mm circle is worth 2 points and 50 mm circle is worth 1 point The point of the weapon must penetrate the target in order to count, and the highest ring penetrated by the weapon will be the score. After a thrower has finished throwing all three knives from the appropriate distance, a range official will approach the targets and call out the scores as they determine they exist. The score keeper will record the score and then the thrower will be allowed to retrieve their weapon. If the range officer cannot determine the score, they will call for another official to confer with over the score. Their decision is final and will be carefully considered to ensure a fair and accurate tournament.

VIP Member

Thank for taking the time to reply.

Rob

Hello Rob,

The easy answer is there is an agreed target between the US and European rules. It has a 10cm bullseye then rings at 20, 30, 40 and 50cm. The heights vary between 50 and 60 " from the floor to bullseye. The throwing distances are minimum 3m, 4m, 5m, 6m and 7 metres.

If you wish to practise for either tournament the above rules will see you fine. But please let me know if you are thinking of attending one as the way they are organised is not the same. I hope that makes sense. It's just that they have not agreed on a common set of rules yet.

Happy throwing.

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by ArkAngel View Post
    a speciality at our club "Snife" a combination of snooker and knife throwing.
    That... sounds amazing.

Also Fizzgig <3 I presume the knife throwing is overarm? Might have to see about getting to Pontefract sometime.

Hello Danny,

Yes, it's mainly overarm but side arm, backwards, between your legs throwing has been tried. All in complete safety.

Plus have you ever wondered how far you can throw a six inch nail and make it stick ? About 25 foot !

Come down and try us out sometime, mate. I can assure you you'll have a ball.

VIP Member

The "Snife" target

So in a game each person has 3 goes or 'breaks' this consists of a maximum of 15 knives.
    You go for a red first followed by a colour which you nominate, then another red and another nominated colour but not the one you went for before, you must go for a different colour in each set of 5 knives.

So assuming you hit with all 15 knives the easy/safe option is
    red, yellow, red, green then red
    yellow, red, green, red, brown
    red, yellow, red, green, red

This would score you 27 points
    You have 3 'breaks' for a possible maximum of 45 knives. Then for the last go you 'clear' the table.

1 knife at each colour in order. It doesn't matter if you hit or not you get a go at all of the targets. Maximum possible score 27

So were you able to hit all the high scoring targets with all knives this would be how you would do it with the maximum possible score.

3x15 knives and all colours hit, maximum score possible 183

Round 1: 1/7/1/6/1 =16
    Round 2: 7/1/6/1/5 =20
    Round 3: 1/7/1/6/1 =16
    Max score per round 52

x3 rounds = 156

4th round all colours hit =max 27

Total possible score= 183

John has just broken the 100 barrier a few weeks ago with i think 104 (or was it 107?)

However if you miss the target or the knife doesn't stick then your turn ends

Well, we had a great day at our fortnightly gathering yesterday.

A couple of our throwers travelled up from Mansfield way and one even ventured out from Wales to join us.

We were blessed with a beautiful day. A lot of throwing was done and the banter and laughs never stopped. I know some of you are interested and the distance may be a problem but I can assure you you will learn more in an hour at our Club than you will trying to learn on your own for months.

Please come along and have a great time.

Happy throwing.

VIP Member

Hi John,

I am interested in coming up for a day but have no experience. Would it be possible to visit on a Sunday of one of the dates listed on the website and have a go? Or are there only certain dates for beginners? Obviously I'd need some tuition to teach me the basics. I think the tomahawk throwing appeals to me most.

Simon
    Leather commissions accepted. PM me for details.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt

Thread Information