new member with question about WH Fagan & son knives

I have a few (7) knives made by WH Fagan & Son Sheffield and also some stamped Fagan Foreign made. I can't find any info on the maker and was wondering if anybody has any. The knives are very similar fixed blade sheath knives with stag handles, stacked leather spacers and pommels attached with inset brass nut. I also have a folding Fagan two blade that I would have to go down and look at to describe better (seem to remember imitation ivory scales). Any information that anybody has would be more than I have at this time. Thanks in advance, Don

Re: new member with question about WH Fagan & son knives

some of the knives

that looks like a nice start to a collection mate ...good luk fineding the maker ......

Various possibilities.
    1. As you will know, there is a town named SHEFFIELD in New England, but whether or not it boasted a cutler or retailer named FAGAN at some time I wouldn't know. The profiles of the five fixed blades you have shown have more of a Continental or U.S. look than Sheffield knives.

2. Does the word 'ENGLAND' appear on any of your knives - including the folders?

3. There are several instances of German-made knives bearing English maker's names recorded elsewhere on the Forum. I have one such in front of me as I write; a four blade in pearl stamped HUDSON KNIFE Co Germany on each blade tang.

4. Some 19th century Solingen cutlery companies weren't averse to blatantly marking their goods 'Sheffield', but your knives are mid 20th century so this doesn't apply.

5. Do knives 3 down and 5 down in the picture have 'Foreign made' on them?
    T

A bit of online research threw up the following:

1915 London Trade Directories W H Fagan and Co Great Eastern Street exporters of hardware.

Also this link to website showing an advert from 1914.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/67020...914+British+ad

RETDPMSO

Hopefully these new images will help. The Stag handled ones are marked WH Fagan & Son and the obverse side Made In Sheffield England. The ones with stacked leather handles are marked only on one side with the word Fagan in a banner and the word foreign below that. The folding knive appear quite different from each other in markings. The imitation tortoise shell is I believe to be a German made knife based on the tip bolsters and what appears to be steel pivot pins. Even though the stamping says Fagan Sheffield Made. The imitation ivory handled one is marked Fagan on the main blade and Sheffield made on the secondary blade. That one has what appears to nickel silver pins on brass bolsters and for scale attaching. I once found some information about a Fagan ice skate manufacturer in Sheffield area but unfortunately I have misplaced that information.

I'll have a word with Dr. Joan Unwin at Cutlers Hall on Monday. Joan is Archivist there and it might be that she has something on record.
    T
    In addition there might be two firms called WH FAGAN here - one mark shows (&Son) and the advert on RETDEMPSO'S link shows (& Co)
    T
    Last edited by OWDTOM; 10-03-12 at 06:31 PM.

Thank you that would greatly appreciated.

Regarding RETDPMSO's link to the 1915 directory showing Fagan listed as an exporter of hardware. That got me looking on the web again and I came across a 1921 street directory for Great Eastern St that listed William Henry Fagan & Son Toolmakers at the same address - 71 &73 Great Eastern Street Citfin, House, London EC2. Not sure if this has anything to do with my knives or not.

[QUOTE=DDforge;1886309]Thank you that would greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE

Cutlers Hall informed me this morning that Joan Unwin is on leave. She only works Mondays so it will be next Monday now before she will be able to look into our query.

I have sent her an email, an answer to which which will serve to jog my memory.
    T

I've just received an email from Joan Unwin who informs me that Fagan never registered a mark with the Cutlers Company in Sheffield and that they have no knowledge of him whatsoever.
    Disappointing really - I thought we might have come up with an answer.
    T

I do thank you for trying. I've seen these marked knives come up on ebay back a few years ago and other people seemed to be interested as they drew a fair amount of bids. I thought maybe one of them would have some information. Hopefully they won't remain a mystery forever. Don

banned

Hey Don, I have a W.H. Fagan that I've had since I was about 12, my great aunt gave it to me saying it was her son's when he was young and in the scouts etc., she said that he had no use for it now so I could take it!
    I was obsessed with the thing, my parents and everyone else didn't like it too much this little kid playing with a big hunting knife hah but it wasn't very sharp at all.
    From what I can tell it looks like it might have looked a lot like this all those years ago when he got it new: http://www.sheffieldknives.co.uk/acatalog/8-55.html

...but yeah that's a different maker, however these Sheffield guys had (and still have) very similair designs.

My W.H. Fagan a.k.a. 'Trusty old Rusty' is extremely beat up and probably around 50 or so years old now but I'd still strap it to my thigh in a SHTF scenario! It still feels solid in the hand and would definitely make me feel 100 times better than no blade at all.
    -G

banned

Trusty old Rusty

The blade reads 'W.H.Fagan & Sons' with 'Made in Sheffield England' on the reverse... a year stamp would have been sweet though.

Thread Information