VIP Member

GEC Northfield #85 Harness Jack

Hi

Thought I'd post some pic's of my Northfield #85 Harness Jack with primitive bone scales. Arrived today, most pleased

The scales are from 60+ year old cow bones dug up on an old farm in the US. Sounds a bit odd but I really like the way the bone has aged with some imperfections in places and smooth, deep colouring in others.

Blades were nicely centered, no play.

Sam

VIP Member

Re: GEC Northfield #85 Harness Jack

What's the steel?
    Ruin is the Devil's work, consecutive and slow
    Fail in a moment no man did
    - Emily Dickinson (who wrote it first)

VIP Member

Very nice mate. Like those bone scales a lot.

Where d'you get it may I ask?

Cheers.
    And remember - the first thing that always goes is the plan.

VIP Member

The steel is 1095 carbon steel so it needs a little TLC and will patina. GEC do a good job with the heat treat so it takes and holds an edge with minimal effort. what I like about it (besides its character) is that it rolls rather than chips, so much easier to deal with! Incidentally the rolling has only happened once when I was asking too much of the edge, my fault

This one came from North West Knives in the US. Great Eastern Cutlery have a dealer list on their website. I have had great service from several, and an email will confirm whether they ship to the UK if it's not clear.

Cheers

Sam

VIP Member

That bone really has aged well. Looks good

VIP Member

Lovely knife Sam and I like the idea of something a bit special for the scales. That blade always makes me think of a butter knife! Lol I do love GEC knives though and that's another great example.

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Lovely knife Sam and I like the idea of something a bit special for the scales. That blade always makes me think of a butter knife! Lol I do love GEC knives though and that's another great example.
    Cheers guys.

I felt the same on the butter knife angle! I realised after a while that what this blade shape gives you is more depth from edge to spine which translates into improved slicing ability. This is the first knife i've had with this blade shape and my rudimentary tests (apples, putting points on the end of green wood sticks whilst walking the dog) seem to confirm this.

I felt this pattern suited the blade shape best with the blade and handle almost mirroring each other

The leather punch works pretty well too, should be able to have double helpings of Christmas pudding this time around

Sam

Stop posting these cool traditional folders,,, makes me want one !

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by avoidspam View Post
    Cheers guys.

I felt the same on the butter knife angle! I realised after a while that what this blade shape gives you is more depth from edge to spine which translates into improved slicing ability. This is the first knife i've had with this blade shape and my rudimentary tests (apples, putting points on the end of green wood sticks whilst walking the dog) seem to confirm this.

I felt this pattern suited the blade shape best with the blade and handle almost mirroring each other

The leather punch works pretty well too, should be able to have double helpings of Christmas pudding this time around

Sam
    Thanks for the explanation on that blade Sam; makes a lot of sense now. You've also solved the mystery of what the other blade was designed for. I like the idea of a leather hole punch especially the way my waistline is going these days!

VIP Member

Good one avoidspam, and that bone is the business. eh? If that harness jack appears with a clip point blade ever, I am getting two
    Last edited by Noddy; 24-03-12 at 02:38 PM. Reason: got avoidspam's name mixed up

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chibbi View Post
    Stop posting these cool traditional folders,,, makes me want one !
    Sorry Ray

Thread Information