Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

How to make a few Loveless patterned knives

Mr Bailey was kind enough to post a few knives I finished recently:

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...Pictures/page8

So I thought you guys might like to see how I do it.

There will be a few tips/tricks and I encourage comments. These are as close to a Loveless knife as my current ability will allow. The first sequence is a bit boring. I started taking pictures not intending to share and then thought that people might find this interesting so the pictures get better. So that said here goes:

A small sample of the beverages that were injured during the making of this

A small sample of patterns. My thought is that if I am going to imitate somebody's work; do it correctly and faithfully! Part of that faithful duplication is that all my blades come from steel patterns. I am enough of a weirdo that I would show up at the Loveless shop with plates of steel and scribe patterns to steel instead of risking the transition from steel/paper/steel. I also go through this process with my original designs.

Clamp a pattern to steel and scribe the profile; I think pretty self explanatory.

My weapon of choice when it comes to profiling blades (A vintage Powermatic metal cutting band-saw; I love older equipment). IIRC it weighed in at a whopping 1200 lbs. Don't mind the shop It came to a screeching halt when I was diagnosed with cancer. At least there is a roof and four walls (29x32 with 10' walls) just wish it was insulated.

Tough to see (scribe lines intact)but these are cut to profile; pretty close but will need some grinder time.

Ground to profile. I try to split the scribed line so that my finished product is as close to the the real thing as possible.

As compared to the previous picture you can see the guard slots milled in along with bolt holes and lanyard tube holes. These two steps are critical to getting a Loveless pattern as close as can be to an original.

Ready to taper tangs. I "groove" the handle area straight out the butt of the knife instead of trying to make a divot in the center of the handle. I use a height gauge and surface plate to scribe reference lines on the butt and then grind the groove from guard to butt to the depth of the scribed lines.

To be continued...
    Last edited by David66; 01-04-12 at 03:31 PM.

Maker
    Blog Entries

Re: How to make a few Lovleless patterned knives

David,
    long time no type!
    really over the moon ya done this thread.
    doing your groves are unreal, they scare the out of me! the first time Ian showed me i was "EHHH! what is that all about?", then i was panicking on my Stiff horn.
    ian has actually tidied his workshop! no more Stella bottles all over lol.
    your comment on if your gonna imitate someones work, has been religiously passed to me and even though i've not had time for months to create knives, ive watched Ian creating some beautiful Loveless knives and sheaths.
    His Loveless patterns are the Dogs Conkers
    looking forward to the next installment,
    Bri

VIP Member

great thread started matey, will be watching this with interest
    Ian

VIP Member
    Blog Entries

nice workshop!
    For leather work commissions please contact me through www.ianatkinson.net and read the information on there regarding waiting times, T+C etc. rather than sending me PMs, there is also a full gallery of my leather work on the site as well as videos! Also to see any items that I have for sale right now you can click here to visit my Etsy shop.

Re: How to make a few Loveless patterned knives

I'm back:

A key to tapering the tang is a FLAT platen or a disk sander; I have a surface grinder and currently find the platen easier, so this platen gets flattened regularly.

I have seen a number of tools/devices used to hold the blade while tapering the tang but so far a large welding magnet works for me. It's large surface makes sure that even pressure is applied (guard to butt). Sorry forgot to shave my knuckles!

6 knives tapered. Referring back to the pre-taper groove; I have a tendency of going overboard. I rough out the groove with a 50 grit belt and finish at 400. I have a fear of deep scratches causing issues with stress risers (goes back to my Off-Road fab days).

Top view.

I forgot to mention that the 5 knives are the following models:
    Chute
    Mini-Wilderness
    4.5" Utility Hunter
    Traditional Stiff Horn
    Two different Utility bladed Stiff Horns. I have a number of odd ball patterns that show the evolution of some of the Loveless patterns. The larger knives are CPM154 and the smaller 154CM.

Getting rid of the mill scale; easier on the belt supply. Also a flat blade blade is easier to mark for edge thickness and grind height.

Nothing fancy a granite surface plate and a height gauge to mark the edge thickness.

A Loveless/Merritt grind height gauge.

In use. This simple gauge eliminates the need to get a blade plumb to a height gauge or the possibility of your calipers being cocked and having the two sides different. In other words mirrored scribe heights.

The Chute and Mini-Wilderness with the grind height scribed, hunter with only the edge scribed. It should go without saying that the grind height gauge only applies to fighters.
    Last edited by David66; 02-04-12 at 12:45 AM.

VIP Member

Superb David, great to see an indepth insight and also some useful tips and tricks!!

Any idea what strength that magnet is? Might look in to getting myself one of those to play with!

Keep it coming
    Last edited by tree_creeper; 01-04-12 at 10:00 AM.
    Ian

Mr tree_creeper: The only markings on the magnet are "made in China" It measures 3.5" on each of the 3 sides just a basic welding magnet form the discount tool store. (you'll have to forgive me, we here in the US are not sophisticated enough to use the metric system)

So here we go:

Most of you have seen a grinder; here is mine set up for the lead in grind. It was freezing so I turned on the only source of heat in the shop, 500 watt construction lights.

I am very particular when it comes to the lead in grind. I find that if I am not precise at this step my plunges and edge thickness never catch up.

You'll notice in the previous picture all the machine blue is gone. It wore off while doing the lead in, this is where the simple grind height gauge comes in handy; re-blue, re-scribe and grind away.

With these knives I used both the 10" and 6" wheels. The 10" is a bit low but the 6" might be okay if I did my grinding on my knees. I use a multi-platen; this allows me to pivot the smaller wheels to a more comfortable height.

You can just barely see how the corners of my wheels are radiused. I can still grind a straight edge, but if you grind any type of curve it does not have a tendency to "dig" in almost eliminating 2" marks in my case and allowing for killer plunges.

I grind entirely free hand. My first four knives were done with a blade holding device and work rest. I believe it hamstrung me. I also like the idea that I could go to anybody's shop and grind; I am not limited to my shop and fixtures and jigs. This picture is a bit past rough grinding but I wanted to get the picture in. I was fighting with how to get action shots; I think I failed.

Rough grind at 60 grit

And 220. I don't subscribe to the theory of cleaning up after HT. My grinds are as close to 100% as I can get pre-HT. In my very limited experience there is nothing worse than trying to work a grind line higher or a even up plunges on hard steel. I think this is when most of the "accidents" happen (rolling a plunge up into the ricasso or going too far and breaking the spine, etc...).

Only 75 more pictures to go!

Maker
    Blog Entries

David,
    Got me hooked!
    Want to get in that she'd and grind away.
    Some valuable tips for me.
    Thanks again,
    Brian

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by grommit View Post
    Want to get in that she'd and grind away.
    Is that the Geordie comin out Bri ???
    Ian

Maker
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tree_creeper View Post
    Is that the Geordie comin out Bri ???
    Lol m8,
    Just noticed its this blummin iPad with its predictive text.

Bri

VIP Member

Thought more people would have been behind this? Well David keep up the excellent pictures, me and Bri are with you!!
    Ian

Trader

Quote Originally Posted by tree_creeper View Post
    Thought more people would have been behind this? Well David keep up the excellent pictures, me and Bri are with you!!
    Just because people aren't commenting doesn't mean they're not watching.

Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Just because people aren't commenting doesn't mean they're not watching.
    Exactly,......I'm defiantly watching.

VIP Member

Yep - I'm one who is watching.

Frankly, I am speechless. Two reasons.

One - I don't know how to do what you're doing..........I love making things in wood, but I'm no good at the metal stuff.

Two - although I am no judge, what you are doing seems to me to be mighty impressive - dumbstruck tbh, Dave - in awe.

- keep them coming
    Last edited by Chui; 02-04-12 at 11:08 PM.
    I love not Man the less, but Nature more

It's not the years in our life that matter.......it's the life in our years

VIP Member

David i am watching this with fascination and envy,the only thing we have in common sadly is first names.
    very informative and easy to understand for someone like me with very limited abilities.
    Thanks for sharing and keep them pics coming.

Thread Information