VIP Member

suggestions for Clulite (CB2) Clubman Deluxe alternative

We use these at work

http://clulite.cluson.co.uk/clubman-...an-deluxe.html

for newt surveying and the like but I really don't like them and am sure there must be an alternative out there, similar in brightness and spread of beam. The things are heavy, very bulky and the batteries don't seem to last well. There aslo doesn't seem to be any protection from overcharging the batteries and no indicator for the battery being full so people always leave them plugged in for hours and hours which might explain why the batteries dno't last too well. Any suggestions for a good alternative?

Re: suggestions for Clulite (CB2) Clubman Deluxe alternative

I have been using a Cluson Interceptor on my rifles since Christmas. It is a self contained unit, lightweight and easy to use. The battery charger indicates when it is full.

I would recommend them for your newt surveying.

VIP Member

Cheers DavidB. not sure about the 200 price tag on that. was hoping there might be something in the 80 to 110 band from fenix or something.

VIP Member

Here is Ledfire's "searchlight" range

http://www.ledfiretorches.co.uk/torc...ch-lights.html

I can vouch for the Olight SR90 as i own one but it's nearly double your budget

Forgive me but i have no idea how one surveys for newts but perhaps a good head torch to leave both hands free?

http://www.ledfiretorches.co.uk/feni...amp-black.html

VIP Member

cheers arkangel. Its basically torching the water to see the newts and trying to make an id on them as they swim off. I tried using my head torch the other night which just a cheapo alpkit one which is apprently up to about 88lumens and it seemed only a little less bright than the 1 million candle power clulite but with slightly less wide a beam. I was thinking maybe something like a fenix tk35 which could be run on medium (109 lumens) for 16hours but not sure how the spread of light across the beam would compare?

VIP Member

The best two torches I have used are the Thrunite catapult V2 XML which Lumilee did a pass around on a while back, excellent quality light and on currently on sale at ledfire within your price range. Excellent build quality and massive throw, but with enough spill to be useful. As soon as I can convice SWMBO that we need another torch it will be on my shopping list.
    My current favourite is my Fandyfire STL -V2 which despite its price is a real crowd pleaser, not as much long range throw as something like the Catapult, but a suprising amount of downrange light and alot more floody due to the nature of XML's I penned a quicky review here - I'd love to see a Catapult and Fandyfire go head to head (are you reading this Lee?). The Sunway M40A is by no means a slouch and handy if you want a AA format, but I still prefer the fandyfire of the two.
    another valuable resource when looking for torches is this russian site which has comparative beem shots for most popular torches in various scenarios.
    hth
    John
    Last edited by johnknights; 18-04-12 at 10:08 AM.

VIP Member

cheers John. like the look of the thrunite. might just have to bight the bullet and try something. We were out last night surveying and got about 30mins from one of the torches on one of its two settings (throw or flood, we use throw), and not much more out of the others. Wouldn't mind if the things weren't so big and heavy to carry around all night.

Thread Information